New Rubicon Gladiator- What should I know?

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I’m returning to a Jeep after two decades of offroad travel with Toyotas. I loved my Tacoma and 4Runner AND had a chance to try something new. While building the trucks has always been one aspect of the hobby that I loved, I’m at a place in life where time is more limited and I can either build a new truck or travel. We’ve chosen travel. One reason we chose the Rubi Gladiator was it is ready to roll from the dealer. That said, there are a couple of additions that are givens: spray in bed liner, a few additional tie down points in the bed, and a winch and winch-capable bumper, and maybe a couple of additional driving lights. A lift is likely, but not a priority right now. We have a roof top tent and a rack for the tent is also likely. We typically travel for no more than a week in the deserts and mountains of the Southwest. Generally, while I love the look of a fully built truck, I’ve learned that simpler is better.

Before I start doing anything, is there anything I should be aware of? Any lessons you learned before modifying your Gladiator that you wished you knew of ahead of time?

Attachments

• 14238214-D915-4949-9B3D-1FD5096C8270.jpeg
    14238214-D915-4949-9B3D-1FD5096C8270.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 46

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I also need sliders that sliders that function as steps. My kids can’t get in the truck. Any recommendations or anything I should look for? I recently learned some sliders won’t hold the weight of truck. Made that mistake with my 4Runner and would prefer not to go down that path again. It sucks being in the middle of nowhere needing to jack up the truck and learn you can’t depend on the sliders to hold the truck.

Antwon412

35s fit with nothing needing to be done. In my opinion, almost a necessity. They are just too low for the length of the overall truck. The break over angle is really lacking.

Skid plates are also a good idea. Again because of the lowish long vehicle. I have Asfir skids I like them alot.

Besides that, I don’t feel they need too much. They are very very capable.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Congratulations and nice Jeep!
I know you're probably asking about pain points and issues but I'll comment to much-needed modifications.

I have a 4Runner and a Jeep and the one thing I love about the 4Runner that the Jeep didn't offer was door cupholders/pockets.
The mesh on the doors stretches out almost immediately and looks terrible.
I bought these to cover them up and love them!

I bought some for the rear doors too but they don't screw in. They still work great but I don't try and wedge anything in there like I do the front screwed in ones.
IMG_9643.jpg

For reference, this is the largest SmartWater (or LifeWater) bottle you can get at a gas station.
IMG_9685.jpg
IMG_9644.jpg

If they make these for the JL/JT, I highly recommend them!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Aggie, I have been looking at those exact items for my JK with the saggy nets. My question for you is, don't your feet hit them when you get out of the vehicle? My jeep doors don't swing open all that wide, and I have big feet, I snag my toe on the nets on a daily basis now, I just wonder if I would even be able to swing my legs out of the Jeep with those cup holder trays sticking out into that space.

AggieOE

Trying to escape the city
Aggie, I have been looking at those exact items for my JK with the saggy nets. My question for you is, don't your feet hit them when you get out of the vehicle? My jeep doors don't swing open all that wide, and I have big feet, I snag my toe on the nets on a daily basis now, I just wonder if I would even be able to swing my legs out of the Jeep with those cup holder trays sticking out into that space.
I think you'd be happy with these as compared to the nets.

Cons:
1) I jumped out of the seat in shorts once a little too close to it, right after installation, and with it being a little... cheaply cut plastic, the top edge didn't feel great scraping alongside my thigh. No blood or rash or anything, just something I know to be aware of now. Just like after I installed sliders with steps on my wife's 4Runner. They're just another protrusion. THAT BEING said, I've caught shoes more on the nets than I have anything with these pockets.
2) You technically do lose space but for me, it's not an issue. It's such an odd spot to have your leg while driving that the 1% of the time I physically notice it, I just lean my leg against it.

Pros:
1) Aesthetics. Obviously. It looks way better than the net and looks like it could have came with the Jeep.
2) Bolted connection means it can take some abuse. The clipped-in-place ones like the back seat ones work fine to hold loose things but when you want to lightly wedge a water bottle or yeti in there, it can pop off.
3) It matches the interior color and plastic texture pattern.
4) Inexpensive
5) If you retain the net, it's a better, snug fit and gives you the ability to put a map in there with other stuff.

I really can't say enough good things about these. I should see if I can get sponsored by them. haha
I also have a center console divider and a passenger grab bar pocket. It isn't even noticeable there. The edges align perfectly with the seams already there. I often forget I have it until my wife puts her phone there and it doesn't fall through.

Antwon412

I’ve been ,looking for a set of these for the JL/JT platform for a while. Since I got my JT. Nothing yet.

I’ve seen some examples online from trade shows, but nothing has been brought market yet strangely.

montechie

I'd do a dead pedal, my favorite Jeep mod in general for long trips and easy to add. I have one in both my JT and LJ. Really saves my achilles on long trips.

Skids, lift etc. really depends on what and how you like to drive. I'd wait until getting accustomed to the differences, both suspension and agility. It actually feels more agile in techy, tight terrain than my Taco because of that short front end, recessed body from the fenders, etc. Too me the suspension on my Rubicon is too soft, but that's going to be personal preference and based on your load out. For me with some load on the back the shocks are under dampened pogo sticks and I feel like I'm going to bounce something important off a rock when crawling.

The stock skids are already ok and there's no low hanging bits beneath the frame like the Taco on the belly. The skids aren't as good as some aftermarket, but not as flexi/flimsy as what was on my 3rd gen Taco OR and the Tundras, not too mention way more coverage. I've banged/dragged the skids on granite with no dents (see pogo-stick comment), just touch up paint, but I'm also not putting the whole truck on them. Maybe protect things not already protected if you tend to drag the center, like the rear lower control arm attachments on the frame, Rusty's makes some skids for the LCAs.

Funnily controversial, but if you are in wet conditions at all I'd at least put some flexible mud flaps on the front if not on all four. Rally Armor makes some great ones, but they're spendy. The front flaps keep stuff from getting stuck to all your door handles. Rally can be easily removed without tools for the rocks, and the flexibility works well when you nail them on rocks vs formed ones like Weathertech.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
35s fit with nothing needing to be done. In my opinion, almost a necessity. They are just too low for the length of the overall truck. The break over angle is really lacking.

Skid plates are also a good idea. Again because of the lowish long vehicle. I have Asfir skids I like them alot.

Besides that, I don’t feel they need too much. They are very very capable.
We're seriously considering 35s. It seems like upsizing is a no brainer in so many ways. There are a couple of trails that I really like and life will be much easier with a 2" lift and 35s.

Thanks for the tip on Asfir skids. I'll look into them.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Congratulations and nice Jeep!
I know you're probably asking about pain points and issues but I'll comment to much-needed modifications.

I have a 4Runner and a Jeep and the one thing I love about the 4Runner that the Jeep didn't offer was door cupholders/pockets.
The mesh on the doors stretches out almost immediately and looks terrible.
I bought these to cover them up and love them!

I bought some for the rear doors too but they don't screw in. They still work great but I don't try and wedge anything in there like I do the front screwed in ones.
View attachment 781573

For reference, this is the largest SmartWater (or LifeWater) bottle you can get at a gas station.
View attachment 781574
View attachment 781576

If they make these for the JL/JT, I highly recommend them!
These would be so handy! They're going on the list

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
@montechie thanks for the info on the suspension. Empty, the truck drives amazing. I'm sure we will need the capacity. My two boys and I hit Death Valley and the Mojave several times a year. Four days in the desert with two little kids tends to demand a lot of gear and supplies. My past builds have needed upgraded shocks and springs to carry the weight in tough terrain. I expect the same with this truck. We're going to give it a try first, though, and see what we really need. And thank you for the suggestion on the mud flaps. They sound helpful. How does the dead pedal work with the floor mats?

Is there anything I should be aware of before I have a bedliner sprayed in?

jeepers29

@montechie thanks for the info on the suspension. Empty, the truck drives amazing. I'm sure we will need the capacity. My two boys and I hit Death Valley and the Mojave several times a year. Four days in the desert with two little kids tends to demand a lot of gear and supplies. My past builds have needed upgraded shocks and springs to carry the weight in tough terrain. I expect the same with this truck. We're going to give it a try first, though, and see what we really need. And thank you for the suggestion on the mud flaps. They sound helpful. How does the dead pedal work with the floor mats?

Go to gladiatorforum.com. More info and ideas there than you will be able to use. Enjoy the rig.I would look at the Metal Cloak rear sway bar reinforcemnt bracketsas one of your first upgrades.

montechie

We just got the Quadratec dead pedal, it is both tilt adjustable and can lift up out of the way after installation for messing around in the foot well. Which means it can rest on top of whatever thickness of floor mat, it's fine with our Mopar rubber mats. I like the classic Jeep thing, but a foot rest and a locking hood should really be stock.

Regardless of lift, or in conjunction with, if you have a lot of load variability air springs work great, were simple to install and relatively cheap. I've been really happy with mine from AirLift. I can soften things up or air up to keep things level and controlled under heavy load. They also really reduced body roll on the highway. I'll be keeping mine in regardless of adding any lift.

The Metal Cloak stuff in general should be a consideration, especially on the armor front. Good quality, great service, and the prices aren't that crazy compared to some others for what you're getting. I use some of their armor on on my LJ.

There's some good threads on the jeepgladiatorforum.com about mods people regret that's handy.

I'm not sure about the spray on bedliner. I got mine from the factory, there's a ton of little holes you might want to plug if you're planning on adding a topper, to keep dust out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner