New to site, looking for vehicle advice

Howdy,
I am new to the site and overland adventuring in general. I am not to to the 4x4 world and have had a few 4x4s in my life. I am looking for some advice, and hopefully a comparison between the two vehicles.
I most recently had a 77 CJ5 that was a great toy, but it had no top/doors and the V8 was loud (my fault, long tube headers and Flowmasters, fenderwell exit). In the end, as my wife and I's interest changed more to camping and maybe some more long distance travel, we had to let our Jeep go. It wasn't easy. I dumped a lot of money into it and it was an absolute blast.

Now, I am looking to go on an overland trip next summer through the southwest, starting in Texas and I would like to go towards Moab or Arches NP, it's been my dream since I was little. I have been looking and comparing multiple vehicles for this, I have considered a large number and through some total nerd pro/con charts, I have narrowed my search down to either a 3rd generation 4Runner and a Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ (1999-2004).
I have had several Jeeps, and I'm not a huge fan of Chrysler's quality in general, but aside from a Blend Door actuator failure on the WJs, the V8 and 5 speed seem to be a pretty good setup. Aftermarket support is so-so (spoiled on CJs and wranglers). Overall they seem reliable and with solid axles, pretty capable. Local pricing is around $2500-4000 for a decent model.

The Other option, a 3rd generation 4Runner, seems to be a better choice for some reason, even though on paper, the WJ seems better. Availability is much better locally (central Texas) and the aftermarket is much better for this, although expensive. A quick search locally reveals models around 200K miles for around $3000-4500. I know the reputation of the 3.4L is that it will survive until there are only cockroaches roaming the Earth.

Obviously, since this is a Toyota section, I expect there to be some more support for the T4R here. I am looking for some input on both models, hoping to be able to make a decision pretty soon, so I can start getting it all ready and head out and do some Shake-downs on it before heading out next summer. I know very little about Toyota trucks, I have helped a coworker with his late 80s Land cruiser (80 series? its the smaller one) and the wiring was a total pain in the *** because of the rotating ground, not a standard 12v DC system.

What my goal is, is to have a vehicle that I can put 32-33 inch tires on and take over the road as well as some moderate trails/offroad. I doubt I will do much rock crawling with it. I learned my lesson from the 35s on my CJ, that starts to get expensive between the lift and axle upgrades. I may put a RTT on at some point, but that is still up in the air (no pun intended). I would like to put a Winch and front bumper on, possibly a rear for a Swing out spare. Other than that, I would like a ride that is pretty decent and is something I wouldn't mind spending a week or 2 driving. My parents are going with us and they have a mostly stock 2012 JKU sport with 2 inch lift and Rubicon tires. My total budget is around $6500. I have 4500 in hand for a vehicle, so about 2000 in upgrades, maybe more if I can find one cheaper.

Thoughts?

Thanks A lot!
-Roger

Last edited:

Piett

As a owner of a 2001 WJ I'll chime in. I have a under 50k miles but over 40k of these have been with a 4in short arm lift running 32" MTRs. The 4.7L V8 and 545RFE transmission have been perfect so far and compared to the other Jeep transmissions of past have a good track record.

The problems with stock components I have had over 13 years:
upgraded "big" brake kit (early WJs tended to warp rotors and I think there was a TSB)
leaky power steering return line - replaced
partially non-functional left turn blinker - re-soldered bad joint in relay to fix
leaking thermostat - replaced
broken window regulator - replaced
CD changer stopped reading - I think dust got to it, replaced with iPod adapter
power driver seat memory "forgets" - not fixed
I've stayed on top of general fluids replacement maintenance etc.

Positives:
same wheel/bolt pattern as the JK, (I actually run factory 17" Rubicon wheels)
factory LSDs front and rear are available which could be enough
it wheels moderate trails well
good power
If you want plush/nice riding it covers those bases and rides comfortably even with the short arms

Negatives:
mix of SAE and metric fasteners -> double the tools, just pick one please!
limited aftermarket
front D30 uses CVs so 33s and a V8 could be a risk
rear aluminum D44 does not use standard D44 parts so no locker options exist any tend to leak easier when scraped
Both these are probably the fault of the lift:
Aftermarket LCAs ate bushings after 25k miles
Death wobble risk - I have death wobble and it has been getting progressively worse over last 2k miles to the point where I can't use it on trips. I've have the upgrade big bolt/poly trackbar bushings, alignment, tire balancing, new rod ends on the drag link and am onto worn UCA bushings. Still unclear what will resolve this.

Other:
I get very similar mileage to a 2002 4Runner 3.4L manual on 33s when we go on the same trips.
I seem to recall that the largest tire at factory height is 31s
A 32" spare will not fit in the tire well so you either lose cargo space (did that), roof or get a swing out bumper (finally did that)
If you are familiar with Jeeps to start with maybe that is of benefit
Some winch bumpers tended to have cooling problems but I haven't researched that recently

Before I got the WJ I considered the 3rd Gen T4R. I opted for the WJ because I wasn't thrilled by the 3.4L and 4auto, in that respect the WJ has worked out well. I still think it is more capable than a independent suspension vehicle of similar height. If I were lifting one now I would definitely consider long arms. Overall my WJ has low miles and I think it has been been average for a vehicle of that mileage, I have no doubt that a T4R with the same miles would have had fewer problems. The big problem I have now is the "DW", which while solid axles can suffer stock I think is primarily due to the lift which I won't blame Jeep for.

Geoff

Last edited:

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
As a owner of a 2001 WJ I'll chime in. I have a under 50k miles but over 40k of these have been with a 4in short arm lift running 32" MTRs. The 4.7L V8 and 545RFE transmission have been perfect so far and compared to the other Jeep transmissions of past have a good track record.

The problems with stock components I have had over 13 years:
upgraded "big" brake kit (early WJs tended to warp rotors and I think there was a TSB)
leaky power steering return line - replaced
partially non-functional left turn blinker - re-soldered bad joint in relay to fix
leaking thermostat - replaced
broken window regulator - replaced
CD changer stopped reading - I think dust got to it, replaced with iPod adapter
power driver seat memory "forgets" - not fixed
I've stayed on top of general fluids replacement maintenance etc.

Positives:
same wheel/bolt pattern as the JK, (I actually run factory 17" Rubicon wheels)
factory LSDs front and rear are available which could be enough
it wheels moderate trails well
good power
If you want plush/nice riding it covers those bases and rides comfortably even with the short arms

Negatives:
mix of SAE and metric fasteners -> double the tools, just pick one please!
limited aftermarket
front D30 uses CVs so 33s and a V8 could be a risk
rear aluminum D44 does not use standard D44 parts so no locker options exist any tend to leak easier when scraped
Both these are probably the fault of the lift:
Aftermarket LCAs ate bushings after 25k miles
Death wobble risk - I have death wobble and it has been getting progressively worse over last 2k miles to the point where I can't use it on trips. I've have the upgrade big bolt/poly trackbar bushings, alignment, tire balancing, new rod ends on the drag link and am onto worn UCA bushings. Still unclear what will resolve this.

Other:
I get very similar mileage to a 2002 4Runner 3.4L manual on 33s when we go on the same trips.
I seem to recall that the largest tire at factory height is 31s
A 32" spare will not fit in the tire well so you either lose cargo space (did that), roof or get a swing out bumper (finally did that)
If you are familiar with Jeeps to start with maybe that is of benefit
Some winch bumpers tended to have cooling problems but I haven't researched that recently

Before I got the WJ I considered the 3rd Gen T4R. I opted for the WJ because I wasn't thrilled by the 3.4L and 4auto, in that respect the WJ has worked out well. I still think it is more capable than a independent suspension vehicle of similar height. If I were lifting one now I would definitely consider long arms. Overall my WJ has low miles and I think it has been been average for a vehicle of that mileage, I have no doubt that a T4R with the same miles would have had fewer problems. The big problem I have now is the "DW", which while solid axles can suffer stock I think is primarily due to the lift which I won't blame Jeep for.

Geoff

What's wrong with the 3.4?

MightyP

Observer
Chris (@devero4) is in central Texas as well and has one of my favorite 3rd Gen 4runners. He'd be able to give you some solid info on pros and cons of a 3rd Gen

Alright, decided to get a 4Runner!
Found a pretty good deal on a 99 Limited, auto, Locking rear diff and loaded with every option. Picked it up with 250k for a cool $3500.....plus a new battery. Posts to follow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven