New to this, '12 Z71 Silverado 1500

jd408

Hey forum

So I've been lurking here for a while, and enjoying daydreaming about 4x4 diesel vans and long dirt road trips. The forestry road stuff I've done so far has been in the current rig, which is a bone stock half ton with a fiberglass shell. Crew cab with suicide doors, 6.5' bed.

It's good enough for a few days at a time - plywood platform in the back to sleep on, drawers under it for gear, and time setting up and breaking camp. We're only going ~10s of miles in on reasonably maintained Cali forestry roads so we have been just fine with stock clearance (I haven't even torn the air dam off the front bumper yet - a rite of passage with these trucks I imagine).

I also use it as a daily driver, so I am not inclined to lift it or add much tire clearance (although when I wear through the tires on it I will put something a little meatier in there). Also swapping in Fox 2.0 as I wear through the stock shocks.

What else would y'all change to get a few more days of comfort out of the rig, and a bit more capability? We talk about Four Wheel or similar, but we mountain bike and ski a lot and both of those seem kind of difficult to handle with the FWC since you give up the bed storage.

Cheers y'all

vargsmetal

If you have the 5.3L plan on doing the displacement on demand (DoD, AFM) delete.

The GMT900 is a great platform. I like them with just the coil spacer in the front with 285/70R17 tires.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Hey forum

So I've been lurking here for a while, and enjoying daydreaming about 4x4 diesel vans and long dirt road trips. The forestry road stuff I've done so far has been in the current rig, which is a bone stock half ton with a fiberglass shell. Crew cab with suicide doors, 6.5' bed.

It's good enough for a few days at a time - plywood platform in the back to sleep on, drawers under it for gear, and time setting up and breaking camp. We're only going ~10s of miles in on reasonably maintained Cali forestry roads so we have been just fine with stock clearance (I haven't even torn the air dam off the front bumper yet - a rite of passage with these trucks I imagine).

I also use it as a daily driver, so I am not inclined to lift it or add much tire clearance (although when I wear through the tires on it I will put something a little meatier in there). Also swapping in Fox 2.0 as I wear through the stock shocks.

What else would y'all change to get a few more days of comfort out of the rig, and a bit more capability? We talk about Four Wheel or similar, but we mountain bike and ski a lot and both of those seem kind of difficult to handle with the FWC since you give up the bed storage.

Cheers y'all
Sounds like you have it pretty well set up. What do you find you are lacking storage for? Only thing that comes to my mind is maybe a powered cooler / fridge if you are dealing with a cooler / ice. Won't give you more storage. Dealing with melting ice in a cooler is a pain in the butt though...

Maybe a rack on the canopy for added storage?

rayra

Expedition Leader
Potable Water. Scepter 'Civilian' 20L MWCs are about $20. Very sturdy. Won't fit old / standard jerry can holders, though. You could fit a couple in the bed to the sides between the wheel tubs and tailgate without losing much space.

How are you transporting your bikes now? hitch rack? Maybe some custom mods to rack a couple water jugs between the bike rack and tailgate?

jd408

vargsmetal other than performance is there a reason to consider DoD delete? It’s not an option while I live in California but could be longer term.

The bikes usually go out back on a Rocky Mounts Backstage to get good access to the gate. Not great for clearance, but a useful setup for daily driver usage. We just finished a longer road trip (towing a trailer) and I think a taller shell is in order, maybe something with side doors like the ARE DCU.

Have considered a fridge but the Tundra 65 has been good enough for our needs so far.

Might also yank the rear seats to add more in cabin storage and a second battery. It’ll make me less popular as a driver to trailheads but we only rarely put 6 people in there.

vargsmetal other than performance is there a reason to consider DoD delete? It’s not an option while I live in California but could be longer term.
I have heard several issues with the lifters, even with it turned off in the computer. It can lead to oil consumption and dropping cylinders.

The best way to delete it is a new cam, lifters, tune and the little odds and ends. There are several topics on PerformanceTrucks.net about the delete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckshotiii