New truck build: RTT vs Wedge vs Pop-up camper?

jaywo

Recently acquired a F-150 Tremor 5.5ft bed to replace our Bronco + RTT setup (with pull out fridge/kitchen).
Was super happy about this setup, except kid 1 is on the way and this will be too tight. We also did not like having to put the RTT on the roof each time we go camping.
THIS IS OUR ONLY vehicle and DAILY driver.

- Need is 2 to 3 weekend camping trips per month in the SW involving offroad / harder to reach spots, as well as 2 1-week long trip (up to 2 weeks) per year. 90% of those will be outside of winter. We might take 2-3 weekend trips in the desert in winter but never a long one.
- We are pretty minimalists, we like to be outdoor (we are not camping to live inside), and we were very happy with the Bronco setup if it was not for what I said above.

Option 1: a large 3 people RTT on the back of the Tremor. Unlike the Bronco, it can be garaged because of the lower height. Unlike the Bronco the size/weight doesn't matter so we have the room we need. Unlike the bronco we have more space for gear for kid 1.
This is the cheapest solution by far, and it's basically solving all the "real issues" we had (room for 1 more in the tent and the vehicle, and RTT stays on the vehicle).
TOTAL Cost: $2-3K

Option 2: Lone Peak Camper. This is the only wedge I could consider because it's in my opinion much better than any other wedge camper and cheap. At 6'6", I can adjust the bed backward to not touch the lower part of the roof. It has pass through and quick push up of the bed with gas struts.
This means our daily Vehicle is now parked on the street. Hello snow removal in winter. By far this is the biggest cons compared to option 1. However we gain much more cargo volume, and we for the first time ever have the ability to stand up inside.
The bed will be 55in wide so the kid has to sleep downstairs on a platform. The interior being small due to the side doors angled in toward the bed, the interior space is mostly for "weather emergency" and cargo volume. The weather thing is only useful for those 2 long trips a year. Remember all the other trips are weekends and so we choose weather accordingly.
Of course, I would add electricity, solar, 80/20 interior cabinets. etc. So total cost about 10-12K. I would NOT build an interior kitchen but rather cabinets that you can sit on, and drawer/pull out kitchen (to cook outside).

Option 3: Tune M1. Same as Option 2, but with 3 big differences:
- King size bed, so kid can sleep either on the bed or on the lower platforms (more options)
- Wider living area allowing for cabinet (kitchenette) space to extend towards the walls without using much interior space.
- Kid can sleep, play, chill on the upper bed while we hang out down below. But is that necessary if our goal is to spend time outside? We never missed not having an inside on the Bronco except once or twice in bad weather.
Like the Lone Peak I would build lots of stuff, so total cost would be $20K or 10 times the RTT. To benefit from the interior space, I would build an inside kitchen, which is nice in bad weather but now means it's less convenient to cook outside (no pull out fridge,...) 90% of the time.

Option 4 (bonus): go with option 1 for 1 year, see what life is with a kiddo, then decide. It's probably the most reasonable, I just don't like the idea to choose one setup just to change again months later and it's less exciting. Plus, seing what life is with a 3 months old is not seing what life is with a 2Y old etc, so the benefit of this experimentation is limited.

Everyone is welcome to comment but I am mostly looking for feedback from people who have 1 or 2 kids, and have experienced RTT life and moved to a Wedge or pop up, or people who moved from a wedge or pop up. Am I missing anything? For people who mostly camp in good weather (95% of the time), is the interior space really useful for 10 times the cost? Do people actually hangout inside when it's nice and sunny out? Granted, it's amazing when it rains, I am just trying to understand if it's any useful when it does not.

Thank you!

OVRLNDFX4

I have a 2019 f150 with a 5.5ft bed and im running a fourwheelcampers project m on mine and absolutely love it. Its similar to the Tune camper but with a slightly lighter weight empty. I came from a full pop up RTT as well as a wedge RTT. I even ran one of those RTT's in a bag which folded out. Each have thier pros and cons. Pop up was nice but cramped inside. Wedge was roomier and easier to open/close but became limited with usable space. Fold out RTT's werent too bad but was time consuming setting up and putting away.

Of course there are pros/cons to running a camper on the bed of the truck full time but with the reasonable weight of the FWC (400Lbs) empty, it makes it one of the easiest choices. Mine is fully built out with cabinetry and such but its really up to you how you want to configure it. You get the creature comforts of a full pop up camper with a minimal weight penalty. My wife is now happier than ever when going camping. No more climbing up and down ladders in the night and no more worries of going to the bathroom outside or in inclement weather. Its checked off all of our boxes.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Check out OVRLNDFX4 and his IG page. His truck is siiiiick.

I wish I could have a Project M. That would be ideal for me.

I've been tent camping with the toddler and wife. We have yet to go with toddler and 9 month old for an overnight trip but I imagine we'll just get a bigger tent. Tent is just easier given the amount of stuff and things that we bring to occupy a toddler and the 7 bags of "Just in case" issues my wife forsees.

TwinStick

Explorer
Good luck with your endeavor. Lots of choices and lots of pros and cons.

Our kids are grown and gone. We have never had a RTT but we have our eyes on a Canopy Camper from Dirtbox Overland. We are saving up. Certainly not a done deal but it's our choice so far. Seeing one in person will either solidify our choice or send us elsewhere.

For us, security is important as is not having to leave the truck in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Porta toilet in bed solves that problem. Also being able to make tea & coffee inside if weather is bad, is a bonus.

Wish you well in the process.

tacollie

Glamper
Full disclosure we don't have kids but we travel with friends who do. Since you have stated in your many threads you prefer a minimalist approach I say start with the RTT. Our friends use one and their kids love it. They started using the RTT when their youngest was only 1. Bonus for you the tent will not be very high off the F150 bed. Our friend's RTT is on top of a FJ80 with a 4" lift.

A bonus is you can get a RTT this week and in theory use it next weekend. M1 is 3 months? Lone peak 6?

You can always get a camper down the road if the RTT doesn't work for you.

jaywo

I have a 2019 f150 with a 5.5ft bed and im running a fourwheelcampers project m on mine and absolutely love it. Its similar to the Tune camper but with a slightly lighter weight empty. I came from a full pop up RTT as well as a wedge RTT. I even ran one of those RTT's in a bag which folded out. Each have thier pros and cons. Pop up was nice but cramped inside. Wedge was roomier and easier to open/close but became limited with usable space. Fold out RTT's werent too bad but was time consuming setting up and putting away.

Of course there are pros/cons to running a camper on the bed of the truck full time but with the reasonable weight of the FWC (400Lbs) empty, it makes it one of the easiest choices. Mine is fully built out with cabinetry and such but its really up to you how you want to configure it. You get the creature comforts of a full pop up camper with a minimal weight penalty. My wife is now happier than ever when going camping. No more climbing up and down ladders in the night and no more worries of going to the bathroom outside or in inclement weather. Its checked off all of our boxes.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you daily drive your F-150?

I've been tent camping with the toddler and wife. We have yet to go with toddler and 9 month old for an overnight trip but I imagine we'll just get a bigger tent. Tent is just easier given the amount of stuff and things that we bring to occupy a toddler and the 7 bags of "Just in case" issues my wife forsees.

OVRLNDFX4 did not return any result on IG. Do you have a link?

When you say tent camping you mean RTT or ground tent? Your message sounded like ground tent but I see a RTT on your profile picture. I was under the impression that you can bring less stuff with a tent, because the usable space becomes what’s under the tonneau cover (50 cubic ft) but with a Camper you have twice that volume.

Good luck with your endeavor. Lots of choices and lots of pros and cons.

Our kids are grown and gone. We have never had a RTT but we have our eyes on a Canopy Camper from Dirtbox Overland. We are saving up. Certainly not a done deal but it's our choice so far. Seeing one in person will either solidify our choice or send us elsewhere.

For us, security is important as is not having to leave the truck in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Porta toilet in bed solves that problem. Also being able to make tea & coffee inside if weather is bad, is a bonus.

Wish you well in the process.

Thanks. All a matter of pros and cons and compromises for sure.

Full disclosure we don't have kids but we travel with friends who do. Since you have stated in your many threads you prefer a minimalist approach I say start with the RTT. Our friends use one and their kids love it. They started using the RTT when their youngest was only 1. Bonus for you the tent will not be very high off the F150 bed. Our friend's RTT is on top of a FJ80 with a 4" lift.

A bonus is you can get a RTT this week and in theory use it next weekend. M1 is 3 months? Lone peak 6?

You can always get a camper down the road if the RTT doesn't work for you.

We were set for a camper and actually bought the truck specifically to put a camper, and when we discussed which camper was the best option and could not decide that’s when we started to think like your message, and we were like “what if we do RTT until we actually have the baby in hands and see how is it to camp with a kid first, then decide later for the camper?”. It’s an ideal low risk solution but then I thought wait a second, did I just buy a huge F-150 just to go back to a RTT? Made me feel like I bought the truck for nothing and that all this would do is delay having a camper. That’s when I decided to post here and listen what others had to say. I do realize families of 4 + dog do long trips in a short bed tacoma, and that couples have a big van and still say it’s too small, but it’s still helpful to see what people experiences are. For example doing my first camping trip with a truck + tonneau cover this weekend I realized dust goes everywhere despite the full bed rug, and I am hopeful that a good seal kit for the tailgate will help. Those are little things you don’t think about until you read someone’s experience or live it yourself.

Also, while the wait does not prevent us to camp in the meantime because we have ground tents, we just had a funny experience. I am writing this as we just returned home from camping in southern utah. It was super difficult to setup the tent yesterday because it was either slick rock, or sand. So we spent 45min building anchors. Already I thought “can’t wait until we get a camper or at least be back in a RTT”.
This reminded me of why I am going to spend all that money to sleep off the ground.

Dave in AZ

What is your garage height, that you automatically say you are parked in street with a camper?
I have a Tune M1 on a Tacoma and have no issue parking in 8ft garage door. If I didn't get the roof fan, I could park it in a 7ft.

For instance, on 2023 f150, from bedrail to closed roof without fan is 33.8". If your bedrail is 50.2" or lower, it fits a 7ft garage door?

jaywo

What is your garage height, that you automatically say you are parked in street with a camper?
I have a Tune M1 on a Tacoma and have no issue parking in 8ft garage door. If I didn't get the roof fan, I could park it in a 7ft.

For instance, on 2023 f150, from bedrail to closed roof without fan is 33.8". If your bedrail is 50.2" or lower, it fits a 7ft garage door?

Garage height is 82" and the f-150 tremor I just bought is quite high. 58in at bed rail. Doesn’t clear even without fan.
Per Tune official specs attached I need 33.8in and 38.8in to clear without and with fan respectively.
With a 8ft garage I would clear with no fan but wouldn’t with a fan.

Not to mention I want to put bigger tires than stock.

If I could clear the garage we would get the camper for sure. Because pretty much the only cons of the campers VS the RTT for us are garageability and cost. Everything else is as good or better with the camper.

Today we got back home in a rainstorm and took 30 minutes to empty the gear from the truck. It was nice to do it inside the garage and not walk from the street. I don’t have a driveway.

Attachments

• IMG_6271.jpeg
    IMG_6271.jpeg
    457.3 KB · Views: 6

Dave in AZ

Garage height is 82" and the f-150 tremor I just bought is quite high. 58in at bed rail. Doesn’t clear even without fan.
Per Tune official specs attached I need 33.8in and 38.8in to clear without and with fan respectively.
With a 8ft garage I would clear with no fan but wouldn’t with a fan.

Not to mention I want to put bigger tires than stock.

If I could clear the garage we would get the camper for sure. Because pretty much the only cons of the campers VS the RTT for us are garageability and cost. Everything else is as good or better with the camper.

Today we got back home in a rainstorm and took 30 minutes to empty the gear from the truck. It was nice to do it inside the garage and not walk from the street. I don’t have a driveway.
Ahh bummer. Wow that's a tall truck! Guess I'm very lucky to have an 8ft garage!

jaywo

Pic is old lol. I still have the RTT and use it if I am going solo. If Family comes I bring a ground tent.

And sorry his IG is overlandfx4.
Thanks. @OVRLNDFX4 I am assuming this is your build? Looks great. Wish you had a build tread!

I do have a few questions for you if you don't mind:

- Do you recommend bed stiffeners? I thought they were only needed on Tacomas
- What wood thickness did you use for the bed plate? How did you secure it to the bed?
- Do you have a link for that Amazon bug screen?
- What water tank do you use?

OVRLNDFX4

Hey there. yeah i dont really have a build thread per say but i do post pics every now and then. Apologies for that. yes my ig is @overlandfx4

To answer your questions,
I got bed stiffeners when i had my RTT (Roof Top Tent) and bed rack because i started to notice my bed sides/tailgate gap was starting to increase after some spirited driving on washboard roads in the desert. I left them on with the camper because, hey why not!

I used 1/2" birch for the base plate. Its a "floating" platform thats actually "secured" by the cabinets bolted to the Project M shelves which tie into an extrusion bolted to the baseplate.

search Magzo screens on amazon

I was using ironman4x4's 15g water tank but have since moved to an RV tank with a water fill port.

OVRLNDFX4

Thanks brotha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach