Newbie, first time Cruiser owner

NoShenVal

Hello Eveyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Ron, I am located in Northern Va. I recently purchased a wrecked 1994 LC that is not locked. I purchased it from the original owner. 192xxx miles. His son wrecked it the first week he had his drivers liscenes. Paid $800.00 for it. Body shop estimate was $4000.00. Right front corner hit, already have a replacement core support, inner fender and new front body mounts. Minimual rust underneath, probably never seen dirt or mud. Will add some pics soon. Anyway, I have owned the vehicle for about a month and wanted to say thanks for the info I have been reading. The builds are great!!!
I do have a couple of questions;
1) Does anyone know where I might be able to get a good service manual.
2) Passenger floor board was wet on Sat. when I vacuumed it out. Not a heater core leak. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Ron

Beau Diddly

Hey Ron, it's hard to welcome you to a board that I'm new to as well, but welcome. I also have a '94 locked, bought it cheap with a lot of needed fixes. I've had other solid 4x4s over the years including a couple of 4Runners (2nd and 3rd gen), but after years of homework and observation, the FZJ80 may be the best 4x4 made. One way to get to know your rig is to spend a lot of time fixing it, when you're off-road, AAA doesn't work.

What you need is the FSM (factory service manual), and you can easily get through file sharing. Even though these are over 20 years old and Mr Toyota doesn't seem to care, technically speaking there could be some copyright concerns and most forums would frown upon the sharing. They're easy to find and download, far better than the aftermarket manuals you can buy at the little box auto shops, and I believe a must have for anyone into wrenching.

I'm new to Expedition Portal and looking forward to learning more, but for Land Cruiser specific work, there is no better forum than IH8MUD. If you post the same question on the 80-section board, you'll have your answer.

nuclearlemon

Adventurer
as mentioned, you can find online versions (check ih8mud.com), or watch ebay, they occassionally pop up there.

as for the floor leak, check your front sunroof drains (open the sunroof and find the drain tubes, push a piece of weedwacker string or heavy electrical wire or something down it.) as they often get plugged. also, check around the windshield seal area...if the windshield has been replaced, shops often have a hard time getting them to seal, also rust usually forms under the gasket area. in your case, the accident may have tweaked stuff enough to loosen the seal.

let's see some pics.

NoShenVal

Beau Diddly and nuclearlemon
Thanks very much. I have never called AAA especially in the boonies. I have had to have a farmer pull me out of a situation before with his tractor :). I plan on repairing the damage and rebuilding/repairing each of the systems to make sure this vehicle reliable and worthy of its heritage again. Then the fun will begin. There is almost nothing more satisfying than making something work properly and then making it better. I know this is going to be a long process. 12 hours a day away from home, no garage and funding this project are just some of my issues. But, if I don't have a project then I will probably go crazy. Plus I really could not see this thing go to the crusher. I have only owned a couple of 4x4's over the years. I have mostly been a classic American car guy. Just as an F.Y.I. I am a field tech by trade in the mailing and shipping industry (28 years). So if it does not irritate anyone here I will post pics and progress reports. I look forward to my first camping trip my LC.
I had her parked nose down in my driveway when I found the wet floor on Sat. I turned her around so she would sit more level and it rained yesterday, pretty good at times. Checked the floor yesterday when I got home and it was not nearly as wet. So, I will check with a hose this weekend to see if it is a windshield or a sun roof issue.
Thanks again

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
as mentioned, you can find online versions (check ih8mud.com), or watch ebay, they occassionally pop up there.

as for the floor leak, check your front sunroof drains (open the sunroof and find the drain tubes, push a piece of weedwacker string or heavy electrical wire or something down it.) as they often get plugged. also, check around the windshield seal area...if the windshield has been replaced, shops often have a hard time getting them to seal, also rust usually forms under the gasket area. in your case, the accident may have tweaked stuff enough to loosen the seal.

let's see some pics.

You nailed it, atomic citrus!

NoShenVal

Yep, pass side drain had a leaf and decomp blocking it. Rained again some yesterday and the floor was dry. Yippie. Just got done crawling around underneath of it. Ramps and cardboard(gravel driveway), it is amazing how little rust there is under this thing. Bad news is it looks like both diffs are leaking. Opened the front and stuck my pinky in and it came out bone dry.

NoShenVal

IMG_0642.jpgIMG_0640.jpgIMG_0641.jpg
So this was the damage done to her. Did not break the ww bottle or the rad overflow bottle. Have measured the frame form the nose to the core support and only have about a1/4"of variance. Hopefully not a big deal.

NoShenVal

The hood was not touched.
So upon further thoughts, yes that is smoke you smell. I am going to move this repair to IH8MUD. Do not wish to bore anyone with this until I can get her back to a usable status and start making her more off road usable.
Thanks again for the thoughts and comments, I will still be around reading.
Semper Fi to all my brothers and sisters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3