nikon d100 v d5000

wskboarderx

I currently own a d100 and I am very happy with it however I am looking to upgrade.

I have my eyes set on a d5000 and was wondering if anybody has on and would like to tell me if they like it or not and if my upgrade is wise.

thanks
devin

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Conventional Wisdom is that ...

-- D100 was not one of Nikon's best efforts.

-- One digit = Pro (eg., D3) and four digits = Semi-Pro (eg., D300) and four digits = Consumer (eg., D5000)

-- Image quality doesn't change much from Consumer to Pro models, differences are in rugged construction, focusing system, direct access buttons, etc.

-- Biggest new thing Chez Nikon is the lower density, full frame (35x24mm) sensors which have great low light performance.

Given that, I would suggest that you might be more happy with a D300 or D700. Your money, I'm just happy to help you spend it. :victory:

wskboarderx

-- D100 was not one of Nikon's best efforts.

-- One digit = Pro (eg., D3) and four digits = Semi-Pro (eg., D300) and four digits = Consumer (eg., D5000)

-- Image quality doesn't change much from Consumer to Pro models, differences are in rugged construction, focusing system, direct access buttons, etc.

-- Biggest new thing Chez Nikon is the lower density, full frame (35x24mm) sensors which have great low light performance.

Given that, I would suggest that you might be more happy with a D300 or D700. Your money, I'm just happy to help you spend it. :victory:

Thank you! Ive been trying to figure out their numbering system for awhile now.

A D300 looks nice but I think I would be happier with a D3x, however I am a poor starving college kid.

I have read some reviews about the D5000 and they all seem to say the same thing. A D5000 is the same as a D90... just not as durable of a body.

So where does a D90 belong in the line up?

P.S.
I will be taking donations for the "help buy a poor college kid an overly priced camera that he will charish and love as if it were his child fund"

shadow images

Observer
I would suggest you look at a used D200/D300 or D2X. The D5000 is like holding a toy. Can't stand Nikons new toy cameras.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Chez Nikon, four is the new three.

The new four digit series, eg., D3000 replace the old two digit, eg., D40 series.

Thus, when I bought:

Pro - D2
Semi - D200
Consumer - D80

(I went with the D200 as the best cost/benefit balance. My son-in-law's D90, a newer generation, takes better images.)

Very few starving students need a D3. And if you need a D3, you know who you are. The D300 (APS sensor) and the D700 (35x24mm sensor) are Nikon's world beaters for the moment. The "consumer" model will:

-- Cost less because it is made of plastic vs. metal
-- Have fewer direct buttons and more menus.
-- Have consumer features like modes, etc.
-- Have cost saving features like a pentamirror vs. pentaprism.
-- Use SD rather than CF cards.

The key point is that the sensors and processors are generally the same - you won't see a difference in the image quality. Going to Africa or planning to get in bar fights? Buy the metal camera. Otherwise, you probably won't see the difference.

Any new Nikon will have MUCH better low light capabilities than the D100. (Nikon lagged Canon in this area until the present generation.)

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Chez Nikon, four is the new three.

The new four digit series, eg., D3000 replace the old two digit, eg., D40 series.

Thus, when I bought:

Pro - D2
Semi - D200
Consumer - D80

(I went with the D200 as the best cost/benefit balance. My son-in-law's D90, a newer generation, takes better images.)

Very few starving students need a D3. And if you need a D3, you know who you are. The D300 (APS sensor) and the D700 (35x24mm sensor) are Nikon's world beaters for the moment. The "consumer" model will:

-- Cost less because it is made of plastic vs. metal
-- Have fewer direct buttons and more menus.
-- Have consumer features like modes, etc.
-- Have cost saving features like a pentamirror vs. pentaprism.
-- Use SD rather than CF cards.

The key point is that the sensors and processors are generally the same - you won't see a difference in the image quality. Going to Africa or planning to get in bar fights? Buy the metal camera. Otherwise, you probably won't see the difference.

Any new Nikon will have MUCH better low light capabilities than the D100. (Nikon lagged Canon in this area until the present generation.)

You might find some time on these sites useful:

www.bythom.com (Thom, especially, discusses the philosophy of Nikon's product line.)

www.nikonians.org

Best wishes! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal