Nikson's Unlimited Rubicon LJ build

Nikson

Explorer
Hello fellow Jeep adventurers...

Many of us go through build phases with our favorite rigs, from time to time we change models (and even makes), but for the most part we will all agree on the fact that - THIS IS FUN... and fun it should be...

For anyone who had followed the previous builds of mine, hopefully will find just as much useful information on various upgrades and fab works.

Feel free to comment & ask questions, since for the most part I believe that everything I've done with this specific build, I've done it with a "certain" reason, and not just BECAUSE...

Cheers...

Nikson

Nikson

Explorer
The beginning...

My previous 4x4 were all JEEP, and for the most part I fell in love with the MAKE and preferred to stay only with JEEP, no matter what sort of modification needed in order to make it "work".

Last most fun build I've done and ended up passing onto another happy Jeep owner was the 01 Jeep Cherokee XJ "Ronin-I" (see link in the signature for more detail), thus I've decided that I wanted to try something on a frame, so decision was make - Wrangler it is...

The SAHARA TJ that I've bought and used over the summer got me very curious and interested, but the short wheelbase of the TJ didn't really make me happy to consider keeping it. I believe that lots of us will agree with that...

With that in mind, I've decided that UNLIMITED LJ was the option to consider and gave it a try.

Took me over 6 months to find "THE ONE", with all the bells and whistles that Wrangler Unlimited could have from factory - the RUBICON package.

Here she is how I got her...

1.JPG

2.JPG

Don't let the damages scare you, since it didn't scare me one bit.

It rather simple, really, honestly - Salvage Title is only a paper, which you and I dont drive... we drive the auto, and in most cases that "branded" title is not an issue at all, but rather you can look at it as a discount.

p.s. yes, you can find in the market vehicle with branded title with some major issues, but you can also find a car with a clean title but a VERY dirty history... so its a matter of just doing your research and inspection and understanding that task at hand.

Nikson

Explorer
The damage...

Once LJ was at my home, I've inspected everything and reviewed the damages...

Frame work - local Jeep dealer
Front fenders/grill - purchased locally off Craiglist

the actual repair cost was not very expensive and considering the price I've paid vs the price at a lot for one with "clean" title - I was happy, and had plenty left over in my budget to do all the work I wanted to complete the build.

023.JPG

Plan was to make an overland travel worthy 4x4, with all the capabilities that Jeep offers, plus extras from all the aftermarket additions...

Nikson

Explorer
modifications / add-ons

I've taken my time picking and choosing what I've wanted to put on, such as lift/wheels/tires/winch, etc.

Things that were chosen:

Lift - Currie short arm 4 1/2 with Bilsteins
Tires - 35/12.50R15 BFG KM2
Wheels - Hutchinson Rock Monster with beadlock
Winch - Warn M8000
Lighting - Truck-lite LED headlamps
Drivetrain - 5.13 gears with stock Rubi lockers
Rear driveshaft - Tom Wood's
TransferCase - AdvanceAdapters transfer case cable shifter
Underarmor - Skidplates.com for motor & trany / tummy tucker Nth Degree for the transfercase
Electrical - dual battery setup with 2 Optima YellowTops in a RuggedRidge bracket
Accessories & GPS - RAM mounts for iPhone/iPad
CB Radio - Cobra29LT

Nikson

Explorer
Bumpers / Rockslider / Tire carrier

Since I didn't find any brand that made what I wanted/needed, I've decided to make on my own and having the necessary tools in my garage for such fun projects made it even more tempting...

Bumpers, side protection such as sliders and tire carrier - needed to be made...

ddog45

Adventurer
Im not sure where you are located but Rokmen makes some great products and are very nice guys. I had most of their lj parts on my last jeep and never had a complaint. I do wish they could have put my jep on 40 inch tires but thats just not in the cards.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I had a similar lift set up and tires, plus a 1" body lift for the Nth Degree tummy tuck. Didn't need the replacement driveshaft. The piñon angle on the Ruby accommodated the lift just fine. This is decidedly not the case with TJ's though.

What springs & shocks are you using? I started with Currie 4.5" springs, ended up with AEV progressive rate coils after a number of other experiments. The AEV's worked really well in the rear, I was very happy with them.

Jwood

Observer
It rather simple said:
Salvage Title[/B] is only a paper, which you and I dont drive... we drive the auto, and in most cases that "branded" title is not an issue at all, but rather you can look at it as a discount.

p.s. yes, you can find in the market vehicle with branded title with some major issues, but you can also find a car with a clean title but a VERY dirty history... so its a matter of just doing your research and inspection and understanding that task at hand.

Good point here. I've never thought about that way before.

Nikson

Explorer
Im not sure where you are located but Rokmen makes some great products and are very nice guys. I had most of their lj parts on my last jeep and never had a complaint. I do wish they could have put my jep on 40 inch tires but thats just not in the cards.

I've had the pleasure of being able to do it all on my own, having own fab tools does help. For some reason honestly, I havent been able to find ANY manufacturer that I've liked as far as bumpers/sliders.

40 inch is a bit too large for an expeditional rig, but for local run around - wouldn't be too bad.

Eventually I plan to get a diesel swap done, as well as hoping to have my portal axles come in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp