Nissan Titan XD PRO

docscurlock

Hello Overlanders, This is my first post although I have been lurking for quite a while. I have been pondering over a new truck for some off road adventures possibly including an extended trip across the states up into Alaska and Canada in a few years. I currently have a 2012 Wrangler JK with RTT and outfitted with basic recovery gear but it is getting a little small for me and the wife. Thought about going up to a 4 dr jeep but lack of comfort and cargo capacity have me thinking of a 4wd truck. I have been kicking around the idea of an AEV Prospector but saw the XD PRO that Nissan has out. I have decided (in my own small mind) that I would prefer a diesel for the extra range that I could get. I just can't get over the poor gas mileage in a gas full size truck, (a new power wagon would be perfect except for 12 mpg). Anyway, my question, anyone with experience with the Titan XD PRO diesel?

Being able to add a camper in the future and the ability to flat tow my Rubicon for exploration would be a plus.

For further discussion if anyone is interested, I have narrowed things down to a few trucks. Prospector diesel, XD PRO, 2017 Tacoma TRD PRO or 1500 RAM with ecodiesel. Any opinions?

skibum315

Explorer
They've just come out, and are only just now starting to trickle into dealers ... I doubt there's anyone yet here who's got one, let alone any significant time in one to talk specifics of long-term use. I like the looks of the new Titan XD, and especially of the new 5L Cummins; and I *really* liked what they did with the XD Warrior concept at this year's Detroit auto show. It'll be interesting to see how the XD does with sales this first year.

As far as the comparison list you've put together, they're all solid choices but for different reasons ... seems to me you need to decide if you want to go full-size or mid-size (I lump the EcoDiesel into mid-size in my head, if only for payload). I'd be comparing the Prospector and the XD separately from the Tacoma and the EcoDiesel Ram. It's also not really fair to compare the Prospector to the XD (or to the other two, for that matter) as it's a 3rd party upfitted vehicle ... as such, it will have a higher level of spec and commensurate higher cost.

docscurlock

The Titan XD only has a 26 gallon fuel tank...Extra range you will not get.
Yes, that is true, I would have to go to a bed mounted fuel tank or jerry cans. The prospector can be upfitted with Titan brand fuel tanks with 95 gal under the bed. I appreciate the thoughtful responses. I know these "which truck should I buy" posts get old, but I am trying to make an informed decision.

Nd4SpdSe

Adventurer, eh?
Payload is an issue with the XD as well. My buddy had that issue when we was shopping around for a truck, WAITING on the XD's specs (and decided to go with a Dodge for the better payload and fuel economy. FastLane Truck pointed out the same problem. I like Nissan and the old Titan, awesome truck, but this one seems to miss on some serious points.

docscurlock

Payload is an issue with the XD as well. My buddy had that issue when we was shopping around for a truck, WAITING on the XD's specs (and decided to go with a Dodge for the better payload and fuel economy. FastLane Truck pointed out the same problem. I like Nissan and the old Titan, awesome truck, but this one seems to miss on some serious points.

After doing some thinking about the Nissan, it needs to have some time out there before I am willing to drop my money on it. A new truck design with a new engine design probably doesn't equate to trouble free exploring. I didn't have any experience with Nissans before asking the question so I have decided to drop this one out of the shortlist. If it was to perform as stated, I think it would be a very viable option minus payload issues. I hope it pans out for them. Dropped the 1500 ecodiesel out of the original list also. I am in negotiations with a dealer on a diesel prospector right now, trading my Rubicon in. I am in the unique time in my life where I can purchase an expensive truck, any closer to retirement age and I wouldn't do it, still have plenty of time to pay it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh