North Georgia Camping/Wheeling Weekend

elee

Observer
First Overland Adventure- Crossed off the list!

We left out Friday afternoon already running late due to a dead battery in the truck with all the wood. So we knew we will be setting up camp in the dark. With the accompaniment of a JKU Rubi and a Dodge Ram 2wd (Neither mine) and some cold beverages, we left Athens, GA for a weekend to kick back and leave all the troubles behind us, starting with the dead battery.
North Georgia mountains starting to make their presence known.
826E539D.jpg

First stop Beasley Knob OHV close to Blairsville, GA. Only one other campsite around, the tasks of setting up camp in the dark began, with the screams of a near by mountain lion nearby. I couldnt capture any pics, but the next morning we were surprised to see the scenery that surrounded us!
CCE12652.jpg

51AAFF88.jpg

DC4D16FE.jpg

DC62C2DB.jpg

The Jeep and Ram
694152FD.jpg

Ended up riding the trails with some folks we met. Their rigs included a 83' Yota, Samurai, and a Wagoneer. Here are a couple shots from atop Beasley Knob!
EA8B1605.jpg

D256B241.jpg

After a couple hours of wheeling, hoping no one slides off the mountain the journey to Raven Cliff Falls, outside of Helen, GA gets underway. Driving the Scenic Highway is always a treat no matter what season it is.
Setting up camp right next to a river crossing it was fun to watch all the cars try to decide to cross or not. And yes we set up camp in the day light this time.
6470EB4D.jpg

Turns out there was a water fall about 50 yards behind the campsite.
F7C4825C.jpg

Saturday night, being the last campsite around awake, we threw afew too many pieces of wood on the fire.
A3127A10.jpg

Sunday morning came and so did packing up for the trip home. But before we rushed off we took a drive up the mountain.
C09B17EA.jpg

0E326648.jpg

Goodbye mountains
766DA38B.jpg

Hello Monday morning....
I would say we had a succesful trip! Thought of some things that could be useful, also some things we could leave behind. Its all a live and learn kind of thing! Hopefully my Z71 will have new shoes so it can tag along next time!
Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:

Cereal_Killer

Nice.
Thanks for posting.
Glad to see and hear about some places in Georgia. Been here a few years now, and am itching to go to some places like this. I have an Xterra that I'm hoping to outfit a little better for overlanding and offroading before too long.

elee

Observer
I am in the same boat as you are with getting to places and also outfitting the truck to do so. North Georgia has a bunch of forestry roads, it's just the matter of finding them.

blackdmax15

Observer
My mom lives in blairsville. Never got to do Beasley knob with any of my jeeps since we normally take the SUV or my truck. Could a reg cab long bed 2500hd make it through? Heard they are pretty tough trails.

elee

Observer
My mom lives in blairsville. Never got to do Beasley knob with any of my jeeps since we normally take the SUV or my truck. Could a reg cab long bed 2500hd make it through? Heard they are pretty tough trails.
They are TIGHT. I'm pretty confident that it can make it through the first little trail, to the open area that the trails come into, but after that you will be running into some tough situations! I was impressed as these were actual offroading trails crazy steep hill climbs, rocks, and technical stuff!

blackdmax15

Observer
They are TIGHT. I'm pretty confident that it can make it through the first little trail, to the open area that the trails come into, but after that you will be running into some tough situations! I was impressed as these were actual offroading trails crazy steep hill climbs, rocks, and technical stuff!

Thanks man that may keep me and my truck out of there then.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
looks like a fun weekend and it will be even better when we get to see your rig out on the adventure :)

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society

I agree with the truck part. It is tight in there at places for even a Wrangler. I saw a guy 1 time come in with a pretty bad looking 4 door F250. He passed us while we were airing down in the parking lot. It wasnt 10 minutes later he came back and said it was to narrow for his truck.

The only trail I have seen there that is beyond what I can do without pulling cable is part of 93B before it gets near the top of the mountain. Just loose dirt and rocks, some tight trees. I go down it all the time and even then some parts are nothing more than a semi-control slide down.

elee

Observer
I agree with the truck part. It is tight in there at places for even a Wrangler. I saw a guy 1 time come in with a pretty bad looking 4 door F250. He passed us while we were airing down in the parking lot. It wasnt 10 minutes later he came back and said it was to narrow for his truck.

The only trail I have seen there that is beyond what I can do without pulling cable is part of 93B before it gets near the top of the mountain. Just loose dirt and rocks, some tight trees. I go down it all the time and even then some parts are nothing more than a semi-control slide down.

One of the guys in a Yota broke a motor mount trying to climb that. Honestly this is one of the best kept secrets trail wise.

elee

Observer
looks like a fun weekend and it will be even better when we get to see your rig out on the adventure :)

Hopefully soon! Im just scared of my tires right now. Once those are on everything else can wait a little bit so I can hit some trails! After tires Im going to go through the frontend and replace all those goodies (so glad I have press-in balljoints!), and alignment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism