Northstar Batteries???

RACKMAN

Observer
Went out to do some research on what brand/type of battery to use as my aux battery in the dual battery set up I'm doing using the Painless Preformance dual battery wiring kit...came across a brand called Northstar. Made in USA, AGM, 880CCA, 134 RC, listed as capable of dual purpose use(starting and deep cycle) on their website. The salesman/owner of this battery specialty shop told me that this brand was started by people formerly involved with Odyssey batteries(whether this is true, I have no idea), but the battery looks very similar to the Odyssey and has almost the exact specs but is $100 cheaper than the Odyssey. Just wondering if any of you have come across this brand? And please don't suggest I use Diehard AGM that is always recommended...I live in Canada and I've never come across these at our Canadian Sears locations. Thanks.

RACKMAN

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Any deep cycle battery can be used as a cranking battery - they just generally have a few less cranking amps rating than a pure cranking battery. Of course you can't go the other way - cranking batteries cannot be used for deep cycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NorthStar

IggyB

Adventurer
I bought 2 of them during X-mas break. One for the 00 frontier and one to put in the 12 Xterra. So far so good.
006_zps80061a58.jpg

RACKMAN

Observer
I bought 2 of them during X-mas break. One for the 00 frontier and one to put in the 12 Xterra. So far so good.
006_zps80061a58.jpg
Hey cool...I'm in Langdon, just outside Calgary. Do you mind sharing how much you paid and where you bought the batteries? You can pm me if you prefer. Thanks.

RACKMAN

Novadisco

I'm also in Canada, and looking for a better battery set-up for my 2003 disco. I'm considering a group 31 battery under the hood and an ArkPak in the cargo area, instead of dual battery under the hood. I like the idea of the portability.

The MotoMaster Eliminator Ultra XD Pure Lead AGM Battery, at Canadian tire, I believe, is the same battery, and has a 5 year free replacement warranty, which is 1 year longer than reported on the northstar website.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/m...ultra-xd-pure-lead-agm-battery-0106550p.html#

IN the FAQ, they state that it is made by Northstar.

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
I have a Northstar Group 27(90 amp hours). I can use either it, or my USbattery flooded group 31(130 amp hours) for engine or house duties and often cycle one one day, then the other the next. I bought both the same time, last November. I have an amp hour counting battery monitor.

In terms of voltage held for amp hours removed, the Northstar Wins.
In terms of how fast it can crank the engine fully charged, the Northstar easily wins

In terms of how fast it can crank the engine when depleted, the NorthStar absolutely spanks the USbattery.

In fact, despite the Flooded battery being rated at 40 more amp hours capacity, it has not "beaten" the Northstar in any of my observations. Perhaps if I were to drain both more than 70 amp hours from full the flooded would hold more voltage.

The Northstar did require one deep cycle and a 25 amp charger to "wake up". Off the shelf it decided not to accept any more charging amps and had an open circuit voltage of 12.84v. After a 50% discharge and a 25 amp recharge, it was reading 13.07v 3 days later resting unused.

Batteries Plus rebadges Northstars as X2 power or something and adds another year or 2 to the warranty.

I was going to get a DHP 31 but the Oddysey recommended spec of 40% current until 14.7v is reached, then held at 14.7 for 4 hours was not going to happen with 200 watts of solar.

The Northstar does not give as much recharging specifics as to minimum current, and has not noticeably decreased in performance being recharged solely by the solar. It will still hold 13.07 for days and days after all charging sources and loads are removed from it.

When the NS is fully charged, it is almost scary how fast my engine starts. It is as fast or faster than 3 marine 27's in parallel.

I don't know how long the NS will last, but so far I have found it to be an impressive battery, and wish I bought two rather than the g31 USbattery.

I spent about 275$ before tax for the Northstar, and ~$170 for the G31 USbattery.

The Usbattery requires equalization charges every 10 cycles or so with a 14.6v acceptance and a 14.7v float, otherwise the Specific gravity falls into the red and the battery behaves poorly.

Really wish I had bought 2 Northstars instead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat