Np241 and np242

Multidookey

Hey guys I am planning on a project for my wj. What I was wondering if anyone had 2 pictures of the np241 and np242 transfer case tail housings. And if anyone know if the tail shaft itself are the same between the 2. I plan to put on a gear vendors overdrive but I need to put a transfer case it can adapt too. And would rather not go through the work of installing a 241

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
As far as i know the tail housings are different / non interchangeable. I am curious why you would need the gear vendor. If going for a low gear would you not use a 4-1 input? What tire size and gears are you running.

Multidookey

I plan to use the gear venders to have a high ratio final gear that way I can gear my axle as low as possible and still be drivable at freeway speeds. Having the overdrive will allow me to have top end and low end for whenever either is necessary.

Bobs boot camping

in the 4x4 industry
I would recommend keeping the gear ratio balanced between a Lo lo in the t case and keeping your final gear ratio more highway friendly. The xj in my signature picture had a rubi 241 with the 4 to 1 lo. I ran 4.56 on 35" mtr's. I found the ratio perfect for highway driving. I drove from dana point into TJ and back every day and kept my RPM under 1800. The total cost was less than the cost of the gear vendor and i had a stronger pinion gear. Remeber the lower the ratio the smaller the pinion gear = less strength. Depending on what axles you are running. Also the faster you want to make the pinion spin the shorter life span you will get out of your gear set and more heat you will build. If you are running 33" tires I would go with a 4.11 gear set. That has good strength and balance for the tire speed ratio. Put the 4 to 1 in it and you will be able to get out and eat a sandwich while your rig crawls along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk