Off Road Casita - All the amenities of a 40’ trailer in a very capable 17’!! *SOLD!!*

Trixxx

*Edit - we are purchasing a larger trailer this weekend so now more aggressively selling. Dropping the price from $43k to $40k OBO. The longer we have it after this point, the more flexible we’ll be on the price.

I am selling my heavily built up off-road oriented Casita. I have been a contractor the last decade and my wife and I were building with the intent of another long sabbatical in between jobs, in which this would be the perfect rig. Life happened and we had our first baby and I accepted a fully time, permanent position in Houston. While I’ll have a good amount of vacation, no long term sabbaticals in the foreseeable future. With the growing family and living in Houston (ugh), the benefits of a trailer of this build type are not as practical. Its small size and width is best utilized in the woods, mountains, etc. From Houston, that means a lot of drive time. From hitch to rear bumper the trailer is 17’. The rear platform extends another 30”. The overall width is 6’8”, which is similar to most vehicles. It tows incredibly well and tracks to the same radius as the vehicle.

We are considering a larger trailer with a better accommodating interior living space for more room for the family. With the excruciating heat for much of the year, many trips to nearby cities will have a good chunk of time spent inside the trailer.

I have a very detailed build thread (link below) which any interested parties should read in full to completely understand the build and modifications that have gone into this trailer. This trailer has been stored in an enclosed storage unit since new.

A few highlights:
1. Fully reinforced frame with 3x2” rectangular tubing
2. 3500# axle replaced with 5200# axle
3. 31“ Toyo ATII Tires and full size spare (sits around 5” higher than a stock Casita)
4. Rear platform for storage and full size spare
5. Front platform that holds a 12 gallon fuel cell for a generator (generator not included, but 2000 watt generator also fits on the tray)
6. Propanes upgraded to twin, 30# tanks
7. Converter switched to a progressive dynamics to allow a lithium battery
8. Battleborn lithium battery, renogy inverter and bluetooth batter monitor
9. Added factory propane furnace
10. Added Katy’s Closet (Custom closet for Casita’s, approx. $750)
11. Tinted windows

Casitas are fully fiberglass trailers, so there should never be any leaks. Despite the 17’ hitch to bumper length they have:
1. AC that can be powered by a 2000 watt generator
2. Fridge/Freezer that runs off AC/DC/Propane
3. Microwave
4. Stove/Sink
5. Inside toilet & shower (perfect for those with wives that are less enthusiastic about camping)

I’m sure I’m missing a million more items that anyone can find in the following build thread that, again, I encourage everyone to read: https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/off-road-heavy-duty-casita-build.216478/

I’m not desperate to sell and if it doesn’t sell for asking or close, we will happily keep it and make it work. I believe that this trailer is built with amenities and capabilities that far exceed many other trailers in this price range. We just completed a 2400 mile round trip to AZ over Christmas in which it worked flawlessly, and did a similar length trip to Iowa with zero issues as well. My wife and I full timed in a 42’ 5th wheel for 5 years and the sheer reliability of this trailer I would consider unheard of in the overall industry.

Attached are a few photos as general examples. I am happy to show the trailer to prospective buyers and can nit pick the ******* out of some really little things to potential long distance buyers.

EB7D3AF4-06AB-42D0-A631-52D3702A42D7.jpeg681D61A6-2ECB-4242-B744-A25E20CE64E0.jpeg4DA17E9C-F77C-4C4F-BD9A-C5870192EAC0.jpeg6C38E63E-4230-4458-843E-FA4A7F777579.jpeg25A22857-E90C-44E6-B60D-639947BF8E95.jpeg591B9303-A183-46D9-9594-4302A30C4D88.jpegFA93D065-96A1-45AC-A923-7647C19A1A01.jpeg

Attachments

• 6A285E4D-C470-4492-98E4-5504F9065B0B.jpeg
    6A285E4D-C470-4492-98E4-5504F9065B0B.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 894
Last edited:

microfuzz

This might be exactly what I'm looking for.

I attempted to send you a PM but it said that your profile limits the people who can view it/contact it directly. Want to PM and we can setup a time to talk?

Trixxx

This might be exactly what I'm looking for.

I attempted to send you a PM but it said that your profile limits the people who can view it/contact it directly. Want to PM and we can setup a time to talk?

Hello there! PM sent. Let me know if it’s not received and I can temporarily post my email or phone contact info.

Trixxx

Have you had it weighed? Is it in Houston now?

As it sits and relatively loaded (generator on rack, tanks part full, some stuff on the rack) it was weighed at 4060 lbs. I’d imagine loaded to the hilt it may be 4200-4300. We towed it for thousands of miles with the 4runner plenty fine (5000# capacity).

It’s currently in NE Houston at our enclosed storage unit. I planned to have it at the house this weekend doing some work to reseal the frame and a few other small projects. It has been listed a while with a lot of time wasting tire kickers, so am also fine with just keeping and enjoying.

For the right price (listing or near) I’d still sell it for something larger.

Last edited:

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Good luck selling!

Every time I see a Casita I think of this build and want to do the same thing. Wish I was in the market for something this size. Like you, I need a bigger one for family.

bri

Adventurer
As it sits and relatively loaded (generator on rack, tanks part full, some stuff on the rack) it was weighed at 4060 lbs. I’d imagine loaded to the hilt it may be 4200-4300. We towed it for thousands of miles with the 4runner plenty fine (5000# capacity).

It’s currently in NE Houston at our enclosed storage unit. I planned to have it at the house this weekend doing some work to reseal the frame and a few other small projects. It has been listed a while with a lot of time wasting tire kickers, so am also fine with just keeping and enjoying.

For the right place (listing or near) I’d still sell it for something larger.

If a 4 runner can do it, my LR4 could deal with it. Great build! Won't waste anymore of your time.

Trixxx

Just wrapped up an 1100 mile camping trip to the ozarks. Trailer performed flawlessly. Recently spent about 15 hours freshening up all the underside coating with POR-15 as well.

will entertain offers..

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
:oops:

Nice little trailer, not saying it isn't worth every nickel, they are great campers, but I bought houses for $42,500, even less than that. Good luck.

Trixxx

So sorry for the delayed reply. For some reason I didn’t see any email notifications. PM replied - any future requests, personnel can feel free to reach out via email at: danwelch1@gmail.com

I suppose when I finally get a truck and trailer built exactly how I want, I avoid this site since all it does is cost me money in ideas for more projects and modifications lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater