Offroad teardrop build

xtremexj

Adventurer
Well, I haven't been spending a bunch of time on hear lately but after dismantling/selling my pride and joy offroad toy, I found that it wasn't making sense to tow my daily driven JKU to go wheeling. I decided that I wanted a smallish trailer to pull behind the Jeep for some of our shorter weekend runs.

I started with a bunch or research which lead to a sketch of what I was thinking of trying to do. So, I decided on a 5x5x10 design with a dinette. Yes, I know that doesn't seem very popular, but I've been a bit spoiled with our truck camper and we can sit at the table with the roof down so that was kind of my benchmark for the teardrop. I wanted to be able to come in and sit if the weather sucks and still have an area for wet and muddy footwear after a day on the trail. I started with this:

With some ideas in my head I went out and purchased some steel, axle, temporary tires and wheels, some Baltic birch and started on this twisted journey. The frame is 2x2x0.120 and the tongue is 2x2x0.188 structural square tubing.

Last edited:

xtremexj

Adventurer
I started by laying out the steel and tacking things together and then burnt in some welds to get the base frame started.

xtremexj

Adventurer
Originally I was going to join the wall sections with a center spline but after my cheap router kept losing its height setting and I messed up 5 edges worth of expensive Baltic birch I decided to go a different direction. Currently the the wall sections are butt joined and supported externally with a temporary backer just to keep them flush to each other. The end method will be using some 30x30 5/8 plywood as backers that will also be the basis for the seats. This will give lots of support in the lower section and then the middle will be mostly the windows and some in the top. If you look at the sketch I posted, you will get the gist of where the support will be. This is where I'm at after four weekends worth of time.

xtremexj

Adventurer
Well it doesn't seem like I've got much further but I suppose it's more than it looks. I got the bed frame done, the vinyl flooring down and the seats framed and boxed. The main bed area is on a piano hinge and has lots of storage are underneath. Each seat has a lift off top so there is also storage under those. I didn't get to the table yet but it's starting to show it's form. :D

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get the windows cut out and maybe get the interior sheeting up. Once that's done I'll have to order my foam for the bed and seats.

xtremexj

Adventurer
Finally got pics of the ceiling installed. Now to get the lights and fan installed before picking up the foam insulation for the roof and get the exterior sheeting on. Hopefully I'll get that banged out next weekend. :D

xtremexj

Adventurer
I spent last weekend running the wiring, cutting and installing the styrofoam insulation and finished the exterior sheeting this morning. Next thing I need to do is pick up a laminate trimming bit for the router to deal with the slight overhang on either side of the roof. After that it's on to finish the front end of the interior and build the cabinets and counter.

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
Looks good! But next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'm going to stop by and give your garage a work over!

xtremexj

Adventurer
Looks good! But next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'm going to stop by and give your garage a work over!

I definitely need one!! Once the trailer is finished I can do another clean up and then get back on the buggy. I've got to get that damn thing finished and use it a couple of times before everyone I know sells theirs.:smiley_drive:

jeeper92

Adventurer
Floor

Could you please give more infor on how your floor was attached? Also what was it treated wit on the bototm?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven