Ohio woman's arm torn off in towing mishap

HarryT

Adventurer
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_WOMANS_ARM_SEVERED?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

CINCINNATI (AP) -- A Cincinnati woman's arm ripped off during a vehicle-towing accident has been reattached by surgery.

Family members tell The Cincinnati Enquirer it's unclear how much function 36-year-old Helen Foster will have in the arm after the accident on Monday. Friends were helping Foster tow her old minivan to a junkyard when a braided rope snapped, then recoiled violently and severed her arm at the elbow.

The relatives say the man towing the van with his pickup truck immediately ran for ice and towels while another friend called for help. Family members say their quick action likely saved Foster's arm.

Her sister-in-law Suzanne Foster says the woman can't believe what happened. And the friends who with her say they're stunned by the grisly accident.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Wow, a snapping rope did that? :Wow1:

I think most of us do not fully appreciate the destructive and deadly power of a rope/cable/strap under load.

When winching, sometimes the most difficult part is getting folks to stand back and beyond the reach of a potentially snapped line.

chasespeed

Explorer
You have no idea how much energy is a line....

Look up some vids about mooring lines parting, or towing hawsers.

The amount of damage that can come from them is astounding. Even small "towing" lines, or revocery straps have some serious energy....

Chase

yyc_ranger_4x4

So according to the second link, a braided rope went around the windshield and was tied to the tow bar on the truck....does anyone else see anything wrong with this?

Don't get me wrong, it is really unfortunate that this happened and I send my best to those involved in this, as it will probably be the most traumatic thing they'll ever deal with.

But why was the "braided rope" not secured properly? What was someone who didn't know what was the right way to do this, performing a task like this? What kind of rating did the rope even have? I'm assuming they were towing it themselves to the junk yard to save some money...

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Wow, a snapping rope did that? :Wow1:

I saw some nasty things in the Navy about what line snap can do. Entire line handling teams cut to pieces. That little mass damper that's recommended to place over the center of the winch line is not just for looks!

arb001%20041.jpg

chasespeed

Explorer
I saw some nasty things in the Navy about what line snap can do. Entire line handling teams cut to pieces. That little mass damper that's recommended to place over the center of the winch line is not just for looks!

Yep, I have seen deck fittings torn clean off. Thankfully, never seen any crew seriously hurt or killed by mooring lines...

Chase

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
The accident here in Ohio happened through ignorance (as in "not knowing"). MOST PEOPLE just do not know the dangers. It seems like a very simple process to hook up a rope and pull.

I have a family friend who has been in a vegetative state for over 25 years from a wrecker winch line break. I learned my lesson from this tragedy.

I think the thoughts we should take away from this woman's pain is to keep safety at the core of what we do.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Kinda off-topic, but I towed a mini-van up the hill on highway 3 near my house tonight, to the pay-phone so they could call a tow-truck. Three young people, mid-20s.

Not a safe stretch of road, dark corner, no lights on the highway, snow forecast, no cell service, etc. Figured it was safest to just move them and the mini van.

When I started pulling proper straps and shackles out of the back of the Defender they were amazed that someone would actually just have that kind of stuff in the back of the truck.

I am always amazed that people DON'T have any decent recovery gear in the vehicle. Proper straps and shackles should be in there along with the 1st aid kit, the tool bag, and the fire extinguisher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven