old truck with four wheel camper

eporter

Adventurer
That looks like a nice combo.
f4de5710822715ce9fd19acdb9c2a903.jpg

turbodiesel

If that's original paint as the ad states, it must have been well taken care of. Wouldn't mind wheelin' around in that rig.

SolBeach

This will go quick - well matched set up. I had the same truck -- those 460 gas motors are thirsty, but reliable. Things don't rot in AZ.

cukup

I was under deposit to buy this truck in November. The owner told me his grandson wanted it, sold it to these people, and refunded my deposit. Now they're flipping it for 25% more after changing the batteries :/

• Haha
Reactions: plh

MSD

Well Known Xplor’r
I was under deposit to buy this truck in November. The owner told me his grandson wanted it, sold it to these people, and refunded my deposit. Now they're flipping it for 25% more after changing the batteries :/
Then someone should offer them $13,500 & call it a day... they won’t take it cause it’s worth the Asking price to most who like these old square bodies.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
I ended up with this rig - it is pretty cool and it pretty good shape. It has the 351 not the 460. It won't really work for the application I had in mind. I guess you could say I am flipping it, but really want to get my money back out of it. I messaged the couple when it was listed at 17,500 and at that time they didn't want to budge on the price. Weeks later they let me know they were willing to lower the price to 12,500 ( turns out they relisted it at this price and I wasn't getting some super deal) But I got excited made arrangements for a ride, time off work, gave it a once over, and drove it home. It drives pretty good for an 80s leaf sprung 250. Could probably use a refresh on the suspension like shocks, tre's, maybe leaf bushings. But would also be fine just as it sits. I listed it back up on page for 13,500 expecting somebody to negotiate it back down to the 12-or so range.

eporter

Adventurer
Just curious; in what application for this would the 460 be better than the 351? Towing a heavily loaded trailer or similar? Seems like the better mileage of the 351 would help, but the power of the 460 could be good, too.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Just curious; in what application for this would the 460 be better than the 351? Towing a heavily loaded trailer or similar? Seems like the better mileage of the 351 would help, but the power of the 460 could be good, too.

Eporter- This is based on a butt dyno and a short time driving a 351 not scientific :) 15 or so years ago I had a 89 with the 460. It seemed to get 8-11 mpg no matter what it was towing or if I had my Lance Cab over towing my rock buggy. It would run with very little fuss. Now that same truck today would be much older so perhaps all things would be equal. I felt like the 351 was great in everyway expect it seemed to be pushing harder to take the hills with only a 4 wheel camper. But to be fair I haven't driven an old truck like this in sometime. The MPG wasn't calculated per say, more of a frequent travel of the same distance in other vehicles. If you wanted to just cruise the backroads with occasional big highway travel I think this would be a great combo. Traveling road trips across America on big highways keeping speed you will notice more frequent gas stops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__