On board fire supression

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
The up armored Land Cruiser I have has a cool on board fire suppression system. Looks like it would be easy to fab up.

Or a system could purchased.
http://www.jegs.com/v/Fire-Bottle/386

Attachments

• 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 108

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
IE, Toyota expects this thing to catch fire at some point. lol

Actually, it is simple. Just some nozzles, plumbing and a standard fire extinguisher. I'd mount the tank in the cab though. That engine bay get WAY too hot for my comfort. You may want to add a safety pin. I'd hate to open the hood and discharge the extinguisher instead.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Yes looks easy to fab up. The hood release is at the left bottom of the dash and not marked fire extinguisher.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
And when the marking wears off and your buddy goes to open the hood? Trust me, better safe than sorry. A simple safety pin is all it takes, and you can pull it out whenever you go wheeling.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
And when the marking wears off and your buddy goes to open the hood? Trust me, better safe than sorry. A simple safety pin is all it takes, and you can pull it out whenever you go wheeling.

Would be a good prank to play on him though....."Hey Joe, wouldya pop the hood for me? Its the one on the right.....3...2...1..." "MOTHER #$^*@%$!!!"

Doc2012

My questions:

Where the f did you get an UA LC?

And why do you have said UALC?

Sent from my PRC-119 using morse code.

lugueto

Adventurer
My guess would be he's a foreigner working for a big organization in some high-risk country.

They're not uncommon in such countries, for example here in Venezuela and Colombia. Not only Land Cruisers, but Toyotas in general..

I had an armored 90 series, she was armored for handgun calibers up to a .44mag. We have an 80 that has the same armor rating.

I'd never seen such a fire suppression system. I had seen James Bond style stuff, electric handles, cargo vaults, oil nozzles in the rear. Most of these in heavily armored vehicles, able to withstand up to a .308 IIRC

Most interesting. Where exactly is this 100 from??

Cheers,

Luis

WSS

Rock Stacker
I installed a "firecharger" AFFF suppression system in January. Great piece of mind. Seems like a well made and thought out product:

IMG_0252_zpse22d1253.jpg

IMG_0257_zps3b3ea5f6.jpg

IMG_0333_zps39cd02bc.jpg

IMG_0328_zpsb5ed2c96.jpg

IMG_0327_zps62478218.jpg

IMG_0315_zpsc54dc03d.jpg

IMG_0250_zps8f59538b.jpg

One nozzle over gas tank:
IMG_0276_zpsb0a9d8fe.jpg

IMG_0228_zpsa7015de7.jpg

@mep1811

no wonder you need an fire extinguish system- who has fabbed your battery cover?
Just throwing a rubber mat below the steel plate is (the) reason for the fire extinguisher.

Whoever has installed that system should be kicked somewhere special- the minimum bending radius at the bottle is not observed.
The sleeve on the trigger is not guided.e

Looks like an former border patrol vehicle...
The install looks like done in EP. Lived down there a while - had constant trouble with those "special" mechanics.

No- on TOP of the battery Who did this without having at least an insulation with the same thickness of the battery poles?????

Around my neigbourhood is the factory building those amoured Mercedes G 500 AMG with 600hp G-Guard, resistance class VR6 und VR7 older B6/B7. They do have a battery protection too- but it looks ..... different from yours.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have not looked under the top. I have mechanics do that stuff for me. I don't know where the car was armored Most likely in the Middle East somewhere.

java

Expedition Leader
Just throwing this out there. If your doing one of these systems use a halon extinguisher. The standard ABC powder ones are corrosive. If you set it off in the engine bay, and plan on rebuilding it will be a mess.

WSS

Rock Stacker
Just throwing this out there. If your doing one of these systems use a halon extinguisher. The standard ABC powder ones are corrosive. If you set it off in the engine bay, and plan on rebuilding it will be a mess.

Another reason I went with AFFF, it is about like soap when all said and done, cleans with water. Halon is dangerous in the lungs. A closed cockpit vehicle would probably be OK, but an open cab would not. Also, halon is a gas, one shot. Once it is evaporated or blown away, it has no extinguishing properties. ABC dry chem and AFFF will continue to fight a fire and suppress flash backs to some degree. Most race car orgs have switched to AFFF for requirements, mostly due to the fact that AFFF can be used on the driver.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad