Opinions wanted...

means5104

I am contemplating a purchase of a new off road/ backwoods camping vehicle. I live in Alabama and have access to multiple state parks that have amazing backwoods camping locations. I currently own a 2004 Ford F-250 diesel crew cab truck with the FX4 off road package. I love the truck, and it is my daily driver. However I have been thinking of buying a new vehicle and trading this in. I want some other opinions on the options I have. I'm thinking about possibly a 2007-08 Land Rover LR3, a 2010-2012 Nissan Xterra Off road package or the Pro-4x package, or an FJ Cruiser. Or option two, keep the truck and purchase a dual sport motorcycle such as the Kawasaki KLR650 or a BMW F650gs. Whatever I do, it will be used as a daily driver (except for the bikes) as well as a light off-road vehicle, and camping vehicle. I am married with three kids. A set of four year old twins and a ten year old. I would like for it to have plenty of room to use as an occasional family vehicle. My wife drives a Toyota Sequoia, so it will not be used as a daily family hauler.When I go camping, it's usually with onlya couple friends, the wife and kids do not like camping, so that's why I am contemplating a dual sport motorcycle. Any opinions or questions that might help guide me in the right direction?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Dake21

Adventurer
It's confusing, you mention you have kids (need room?) and then say you won't bring them.
Im not sure how the terrain looks in your backwoods but you'll need something small enough to navigate trough. Older jeeps (TJ and older) and Suzuki fill the bill quite nicely. Bonus point to the convertible, on a hot summer day it's so much fun!
The motorcycle is a good idea as long as it doesn't rain.

means5104

Well whatever I choose won't be strictly for off road use, or for family hauling. It will be a little bit of both. I don't necessarily need the room for the camping or off roading, but it would be nice to have the room if we ever have issues out of the wife's car. I already looked at a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited several months ago, and loved it. However the wife nixed that real quick. She hates them. Most of what I do is not really tight trails, just some very muddy and very rutted out roads. Four wheel drive is a necessity. Look up Little River Canyon to get an idea of the type of terrain it is. Nothing over the top or difficult. However we have pulled out multiple drivers trying to get to the camping areas that should not have been going down the trails.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
So long as keeping gas in the truck isn't an issue, I'd say keep it. 1. its paid for, and 2, you know it. You know what its maintenance history is and what it can do. 2 VERY big points I'd like.

However, if saving gas is important, you should consider a smaller SUV like an explorer. Maybe an old Bronco if you don't always plan on taking the kids everywhere in it. An explorer would be more comfortable and a better DD and still have 4WD. A simple lift kit and decent tires should be all you need to get where you'll want to go. If you need external cargo space, a small, simple trailer will work.

I am curious why your wife nixed the jeep idea though. I'm not a big fan of them either, but for me, its because I think they're over priced and over engineered.

means5104

She just dislikes them. Always has. She doesn't like riding with the top off, and doesn't think they are safe enough for the kids to ride in. Which that part I somewhat agree with. I work at a Jeep dealership as a parts manager and some of the wrecked ones we've seen, I'm surprised people walked away from. I've had a very hard time thinking about getting rid of my truck. I mainly just want something I can mess around with, and take out and play with on the weekends. And doing that on my daily driver is not something I am really excited about in case I break something.

Dake21

Adventurer
Your wife has the Toyota...

Just get the wrangler if you like it that much.
If I had listen to my wife last year I would be driving a Dodge Journey now. She didn't like the jeep but now she keeps saying she wants one lol

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
I'd say keep the truck and get an older vehicle as a toy. Pick up something stock that needs some work to be reliable, some modification to be capable and get to work. In the long run you'll know your rig better, and feel more confident taking it into remote places.
You can't go wrong with any of those you listed, I would suggest going after a vehicle with strong aftermarket support. You'll have more options for upgrades that way.

Personally, I suggest the Xterra, FJ or Jeep.

Bikes are great fun, but you're really limited to fair weather adventure.

toymaster

Explorer
.... Look up Little River Canyon to get an idea of the type of terrain .....

I'm originally from near that area, North Cleburne county on the Georgia line, about half way in between Piedmont and Cedertown, GA. Anyway.....

I can never suggest getting rid of a truck unless it is for another truck. Personally, I bought my JK for the same purpose you are talking about. It is hard to get a LB CC truck off in the wood. A jeep and a trailer is a tough combo to beat for versatility. My Jeep filled several needs and can play multiple roles but, the wifey says no, or it may be NO!, either way I'd have to look long and hard at toyota trucks or a chevy colorado diesel if you could swing it....:coffeedrink: The perfect example may be the truck boxrocket had.... http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...Rocket-03-DC-Tacoma-Build?highlight=boxrocket

I would say first choice would be keep the truck. But it's fun to get a new car even if it's not new, and it that case I would go with the fj or maybe a 100 series land cruiser. Fj will be plenty reliable, and you can't kill a 100 series, people over on mud with 4-500,000 miles on them and incredibly comfortable to drive and long trips, done several 14+ hour rides to Montana with 5 people, 2 dogs and everyone's gear. I would stay away from land rovers, they just are not that reliable especially used, and the interiors just don't seem worth it for how unreliable they are, especially when a single air suspension problem can leave you stranded. What about buying a cheap dirt bike to throw in the truck and only using it on trails? Tons of possibilities

means5104

I've thought about that as well. But I really like the idea of having a dual purpose motorcycle. The 100 series are few and far between in my neck of the woods. And the ones that are available are very high miles for my personal comfort level. I'm leaning towards keeping the truck, and finding a newer KLR650 for around $3-4k and just using it as a weekend/camping toy.

Carved out of stone with a chisel

Sounds like a fun plan, the reliability of having owned a car for a long time is tough to beat, and you could always throw the dual sport in the bed if needed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk