Paint Experts Needed!

Denham

Hello!

First time poster here and I come seeking some advice! I'm working on a project which is figuring out the best way to paint a fishing rod blank which to clarify is the part of the fishing rod that bends and the guides and handle are built around. I know this is an auto forum but I was researching information on types of paint which brought me here and it seemed like there were numerous members who knew there stuff so I figured perhaps I could get some advice.

For starters, I want to learn how to paint fishing rods in which there are two methods. First being spray paint which makes sense but it has too many steps to where I hope not to go there at the moment. The second method is the method used to mass produce fishing rods that features very little information online. From what I've gathered its called the "squeegee" method which required pulling a fishing rod blank through a small rubber hole at the bottom of a container filled with paint. At first glance this method seems more difficult but is in fact more efficient over time if you become proficient at the process. Now the process itself is something I'm not able to understand but what they use as far as "paint" goes is a complete mystery. Here is what I've gathered so far

The painting is typically done in a single coat and they use a 2-part paint/resin that is ultra durable and can flex with the fishing rod. Screenshot (20).png

They then take whatever color they want that comes in a dye or powdered form and mix it into the paint to take on the desired color.
Screenshot (21).png

From here they pour the paint in the painting apparatus and go from there. But in case I'm not making enough sense here is:

a link to this site which describes the full painting process: https://www.ishiguro-gr.com/blog/detail.php?id=36712

a video of the painting process in action:

Hopefully this is enough information to get my point across. If there are any questions I'm leaving that need to be cleared up please let me know! I would greatly appreciate any insight on the matter.

Thanks, Denham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scolpax