Paria Canyon via Buckskin Gulch May 29th to June 1st, 2010

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Paria Canyon is roughly west of Page, Arizona, running diagonally from Utah down into Arizona. The three northern trailheads are below hiway 89 between Page and Kanab, Utah to the west

This trip offers miles of spectacular slot canyon geology as well as scenic walls of Navajo, Kayente and Moenave sandstone. This is a non vehicular trip! Your options are:
  1. Go in the Buckskin Gulch trailhead or in the Wire Pass trailhead and come back out. No vehicle shuttling.
  2. Go in either trailhead and come out the White House trailhead (20ish miles miles) needs a shuttle or two vehicles or bikes or....
  3. Go for the gold and trek all the way down the Paria River to where it meets the mighty Colorado River, a mere 43 miles total. :elkgrin: This requires two cars or a shuttle.

The 43 miles have been accomplished in fairly short order by speed hikers but you miss out on the whole reason to be there and wake up every morning to unbelievable landscapes.

Here is a teaser shot taken right from my sleeping bag, no tent at all.

I and two friends tentatively planned the 43 miles in the following way, depending upon river water turbulence (pumping/filtering) and spring water availability:

1st day go about 13 miles starting at the Wire pass trailhead and camping a couple of miles past the confluence of the Paria River. Second day head down to the area near Wrather Arch, roughly10 to 12 miles. Seeing the arch would be optional. Third day hike roughly 12 miles and the last day get up early and blaze out the last 6 miles as fast as possible with slightly lighter packs. There would be less water and food but you have to pack out your WAG bags....

teotwaki

Excelsior!
As a side note, I will post up as much as possible right now and then add more comments or answer questions as I can. The next few days will be hectic with other adventure preps.

SPOT worked amazingly well during the trip, even in the narrow canyon areas.
Set to "satellite" and zoom in.

In order:
Hiking in from trailhead
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...1821&ll=37.02045,-112.01821&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

First camp site
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...5644&ll=36.98415,-111.85644&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Second camp siite
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=....7708&ll=36.97011,-111.7708&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Third camp site
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=....6501&ll=36.92311,-111.6501&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

End of the hike at the Colorado
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...8567&ll=36.86644,-111.58567&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Entry into the slot

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Some old time hikers were here too!

Amazing texture for solid rock

There were many tree trunks wedged in at crazy heights

A popular "sport" was tossing rocks into the gooey mud

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Photagraphers unite! Or, mimic each other...

YOU go in there first

The family that wades through mud together will most definitely stick together!!

My poor La Sportiva canyoneering shoes were so excited!!

Light at the end of a tunnel was never so wildly framed

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Sometimes you pop out into a bit of cool greenery

And then you are faced with enormous boulders, so casually arranged as if to belittle their massive weight

And those are just a few from the first day! After our first camp night we had a little more canyon width, much more water and the depth of the canyon kept increasing.

Life clings to every precarious perch possible

Just allow me to hold these walls apart for you....:)

This was a narrow vertical fissure that has been carved out by pounding water.

Be quick or you'll sink from sight into this mud!

We rarely saw many folks so we had many areas to ourselves. Here are my two friends walking and chatting

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Giant alcoves

Fresh spring water literally gushing out at Big Springs, the best one there.

Take all that you can! Tastes grrr-reat!

It is getting deeper! See my friend way down there?

Where is that path? Sometimes you feel like you are in the show "Lost"....

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Shall we go swimming?

SURE!! Diving in...

Olympic style?

Failed attempt at a pump station but looks good with flowers!

More later or tomorrow.....

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Sounds like you had a great trip Jim. Looking forward to more pics.

I've made a day hike out of the Buckskin - Wire Pass loop, but never down into Paria Canyon. Someday ...

teotwaki

Excelsior!
This eroded fissure is called "The Hole" and there are some weak flowing springs in the back

Laundry Day at our second camp. The orange thing on the left is a lightweight collapsible bucket

Very basic camping: ground tarp, sleeping bag, etc...

The canyon near our campsite

NRS Neoprene socks are wonderful for keeping the sand from abrading your feet because of all of the time spent sloshing in and out of the river

Another inviting pool to swim in!

Lots of these bright orange beauties lined the trail as we headed down river

teotwaki

Excelsior!
This panel was not quite where the map said it was but it had an amazing variety of petroglyphs that caught our eyes

Time to get back to heading downstream as this is a 12-ish mile day.

Boulders strewn about like so many toy blocks

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Yours truly, now besieged by biting flies and bright sun

At the point that we chose to stop for our last night we had a camp that was very open. As the sun set it painted the rocky towers with a deep red light

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Along the way to the end of the trail there were various remnants of recent attempts to live and work in the area.

remains of a dwelling

a pump house

ranching

And before we knew it, we had covered the 6 miles in 2.5 hours and were facing the launching area for other people's adventures on another river

I have some video clips but may not get those loaded and linked until next week.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Great canyons to enjoy.

My son really enjoyed his trip back in March. The Paria was running much stronger then and was constantly muddy. They didn't see any inviting clear areas like you did on this trip. That also made it tough on the water filters even when pre-screening. The silt would clog them up quickly and forced frequent cleaning. The natural springs were the best source but they were limited in number.

Thanks for posting the pics and narrative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal