PENDING: 1989 Volkswagen Vanagon Syncro Westfalia 4x4 Camper Van Denver, CO $35k

ryan.pureber

Asking $35,000 obo

I purchased this van in September 2018 with 216,000 miles on the body and 110,000 miles on the engine, this van has served my family well on numerous adventures. Currently, it has 234,000 miles on the body, 128,000 miles on the engine, and 13,000 miles on the rebuilt transmission.

Exterior:
There is some seam rust and the expected dings and scratches with a vehicle of this age. I cleaned up the rust spots and it shows to be surface only. A little more aggressive stripping and some primer would stop it, or a full paint job would really make it look new. The windshield has a crack that does not affect visibility. The roof has Yakima tracks with feet, crossbars and a storage basket installed.

Interior:
The interior is in great shape with some signs of use. The front door panels can be used as-is, re-glue the edges or replaced. There’s a removable 2-person middle seat for child car seats, enhancing the van’s versatility. Note: While there are anchors for child car seats, there are no seatbelts for the middle seat. The rear bench seat has seatbelts and anchors. I have a rug that covers the middle seat tracks and the entire floor when the middle seat is out.

Camp equipment:
Truckfridge, Propex propane heater, newer Surflo faucet, replaced water tubes from tank to faucet (2023), LED interior lights, window curtains, windshield cover, bug nets for rear hatch and slider door, newer Bus Depot pop-top canvas with front/side windows in great shape, Shady Boy awning, Dodge minivan stow-n-go front seats with armrests and swivel bases (pictures show heated/vented seat covers), Bluetooth stereo with front/rear speakers and a small subwoofer powered by the house battery. Everything works great.

Electrical:
140w solar panel on the roof, two 6v golf cart batteries wired in series for the house battery - located under the bench seat, Morning Star solar controller, charge isolator and battery tender so you can charge from the van’s alternator, the solar panel or shore power.

Mechanical:
2001 Subaru Legacy 2.5L, converted with a Rocky Mountain Westy kit. New head gaskets (August 2017; mileage in records). Rebuilt transmission by German Transaxle in Bend, OR with re-geared 3rd/4th and reinforced 3rd gear. New clutch and mounts when re-installed.

Additional upgrades/replacements: Decoupler for 2WD/4WD, rear locker, new rear CVs (September 2018), Go Westy springs (2" lift), Old Man Emu shocks, Rocky Mountain Westy aluminum coolant tank, stainless coolant lines, radiator, radiator fan, catalytic converter, gauge circuit board, front drive shafts, Big Shot shifter, and 16" Go Westy alloy wheels with new KO2 tires.

Notes:
The A/C currently doesn’t work but was functional until last August. We chose not to fix it as we don’t use the A/C anyway.

I have included before/after pictures of cleaning up rust spots to show that it is not severe.

This van has been a reliable companion, delivering many wonderful experiences and memories. It’s ready for your next adventure—whether it's a road trip, camping, or off-roading.

Open to offers, trade, trade + cash... I'm looking to get into an F-350/450 and truck camper.

More pictures available here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dNN89XnqkLTL5F2e9

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
  • Exterior - Driver Side Before After Rust.jpg
    Exterior - Driver Side Before After Rust.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • Exterior - Passenger Front.jpg
    Exterior - Passenger Front.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 30
  • Exterior - Passenger Side Before After Rust.jpg
    Exterior - Passenger Side Before After Rust.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
  • Interior - Door Driver.jpg
    Interior - Door Driver.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 22
  • Interior - Door Passenger.jpg
    Interior - Door Passenger.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 22
  • Interior - Middle Seat 2.jpg
    Interior - Middle Seat 2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 21
  • Interior - Open Side.jpg
    Interior - Open Side.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 22
  • Rust - Before After.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mog

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Here is a suggestion from someone from Quebec who has been dealing with rust...spray these seams with PB-Blaster, let is soak and they wipe everything. You will be surprised at the result and will have a better idea of what to do next.

ryan.pureber

Thank you for the response. It does seem like the rust is a common concern. For what you are recommending; do I get the "regular" PB Blaster to spray on it? Am I wiping with a cloth or something more abrasive? Do I need primer or something similar on-hand? Thank you.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Thank you for the response. It does seem like the rust is a common concern. For what you are recommending; do I get the "regular" PB Blaster to spray on it? Am I wiping with a cloth or something more abrasive? Do I need primer or something similar on-hand? Thank you.
Just start with the regular one. It will wipe out the brown stain from the paint and you will be left with the "regular" rust, not with residues around that sometimes make it looks worst than it is. The PB Blaster will also penetrate the existing rust.

Then once it's dry, you can start attacking the rust itself. Remove it and then paint it the seams white, and will be shocked by the results. It's a temporary solution but it will buy you some time.

The next thing I would do to increase your chances of selling high is to swap these door panels. Maybe install some ABS ones:

ryan.pureber

Thank you for the follow-up information. I have done the clean-up and updated all of the information and pictures. I think the clean-up shows that the rust is very manageable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3