Permanently remove passenger seat?

Bandit9

Observer
2011 JK 2 dr Sport.

I want to remove the passenger seat so I can build a sleeping platform that extends all the way to the glove box from the tailgate so I can sleep in my Jeep while I go on trips. I've seen it done and have a pic. My version will be as tall as the center console.

Anyhow, my question is: Is the only issue is that there will be a Warning Light on the dash once I unplug and remove the passenger seat? I've seen a few people saying you couldn't drive the Jeep after removing the seat, but I can't possibly think of a reason that would prevent it. Nothing else potentially bad enough to prevent me from removing the seat and driving besides warning light? I figure I can just put a piece of electrical tape over the light and carry on!

Thanks,
Chris jeepsleepplatform.jpg

Last edited:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I took out my seats in my Grand Cherokee and drove it around...no lights are anything. My wife would be pretty pissed though if I permanently removed the pax seat...may not send the best message. :Wow1:

i-MNGkj7T-L.jpg

I did leave the passenger seat in and built a flat floor....thankfully because I am an average american male in height only I can sleep in my Grand with driver and pax seats moved forward.

i-NJVcqxp-L.jpg

Bandit9

Observer
Thank you. Things I have read though, say in 2010 or about, something changed in electronics/air bag stuff. I think this not being able to drive it stuff is nonsense, but I figured I would ask just to see.

I'll be putting the passenger seat back in when I get back from the trip. My wife hates being stuck in a vehicle all day exploring the wilderness...I used to think that was a big issue...however 20 years later.....it is absolutely wonderful!! I get to haul off and do my thing w/o dealing with any of her crap. Sure I would prefer to have her ride shotgun, but it has worked out really well for me. I'm good either way.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
I can tell You that Tom sheppard have done this, he has 40 year of expedition travel and had Geländewagen and landrovers and now drives a 2 door Wrangler.

His a author as well, in his books there are som few pics from his Wrangler and modifications http://www.desertwinds.co.uk/

An he took out the front passenger seat and made a platform, You might ask him

8087063916_152653469e.jpg

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I had read conflicting things myself and pulled the seat out then drove to work and home before a planned trip. I ended up putting the seat back in before the trip but there were no adverse issues other than that warning light. It did not go into limp mode as I had read it would. As much as I would like to build a platform and sleep that way I don't know that I could handle a road trip with that light on. Warning lights on my dash drive me nuts regardless of their warning.

If you build a platform post up lots of pics and measurements.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Thank you. Things I have read though, say in 2010 or about, something changed in electronics/air bag stuff. I think this not being able to drive it stuff is nonsense, but I figured I would ask just to see.

I'll be putting the passenger seat back in when I get back from the trip. My wife hates being stuck in a vehicle all day exploring the wilderness...I used to think that was a big issue...however 20 years later.....it is absolutely wonderful!! I get to haul off and do my thing w/o dealing with any of her crap. Sure I would prefer to have her ride shotgun, but it has worked out really well for me. I'm good either way.

My Jeep is 2008 so maybe that is the reason why...

Espo78

Adventurer
I would be concerned that removing the seat might somehow disable the airbag system. Other than that I say go for it! However if you plan on sleeping there where are you going to store all your gear? A better solution might be a roof rack and roof top tent, or a small trailer with a tent. Just some thoughts.

rlynch356

Defyota
If you have the seat Air bag on/off sensor (in the seat bottom) - i "Believe" the air bag is only triggered when the contact switch is closed (hence the seat bottom sensor) removing it will just deactivate it (no signal just like its empty or has less weight than needed to trigger the "On" circuit.

I'd just unplug it and drive it for a day or so, and see if anything happens - Dash Lights, limp mode what have you..

If you have Side AIRBAGS....(in the seat)....
In Porsche land - its common to fool the seat airbags internally for racing seats and thing like that - usually a resistor.. specs depend on what the system is looking for, Which if you have seat airbags is going to be needed in a jeep as well to prevent the system from seeing an airbag fault.

(mine does not have seat bags...fyi..)

Bandit9

Observer
I would be concerned that removing the seat might somehow disable the airbag system. Other than that I say go for it! However if you plan on sleeping there where are you going to store all your gear? A better solution might be a roof rack and roof top tent, or a small trailer with a tent. Just some thoughts.
Gear will be stored under the sleeping platform. Like I said, my platform will be much taller than the one in the pic. I won't have much gear anyway. I'm not going across Africa, just the Rocky Mtns.

quickfarms

Adventurer
I would get a copy of the wiring diagram and find out how the sensor works and build a pigtail to make the computer think the seat is there and empty. You can order most replacement plugs from the dealer.

Espo78

Adventurer
Gear will be stored under the sleeping platform. Like I said, my platform will be much taller than the one in the pic. I won't have much gear anyway. I'm not going across Africa, just the Rocky Mtns.

Yes if you are traveling solo you shouldn't have a problem carrying what you need.

Bandit9

Observer
I shelved the Jeep. Wife always wanted it when I was off in it, so it is just for her now. I felt gay in it anyway. I bought a Land Rover Disco. Much more room for all my stuff. I have the Tundra for towing and the Disco for the trails.

image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk