Personal survival kits

iron pig

I was thinking since we all like the outdoors and like to go where others usually aren't we should remember that survival is a reality and something we should prepare ourselves for. So with that in mind I thought it would not be a bad idea for us to post our own ideas of a personal survival kit. Now let's keep this to a individual type not the one for a group or a vehicle based kit, I am referring to a personal kit that can be carried with us as with do our exploring and hiking and such.

Let the games begin.:lurk:

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
I've seen a few of these Nalgene "kits" popping up at places like REI and Cabela's. They seem to contain some good items useful for survival, and all pack nicely into the durable lexan water-bottle that we're all familiar with.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Here's a link to a thread a while back: Bug Out Bag
It deals with a Bug Out Bag idea that is similar I think to what you are discussing.
It is generally a vehicle-based bag, but the ideas in the thread are worth considering when you put together or consider purchasing a personal survival kit.

HTH,
:sombrero:
Ed

mightymike

Adventurer
I think using a Nalgene bottle to store your kit in is a good idea. It's roomy enough for some fire starters and tinder, boullion cubes, small compass and knife, etc. There is a story in this month's Field and Stream that details the successful survival story of a guy who got lost on a hunting trip in the Idaho mountains in winter. In addition to the survival items he had, he was able to melt snow in the Nalgene bottle by placing it close to his fire. If you do put a Nalgene bottle in your survival kit, put a few wraps of duct tape around it. That is a great way to store some duct tape for future use. I think the magazine story also illustrated the most important ingredients for survival: Preparation, knowledge and a positive, non-panicked mindset.

JayP

Observer
Funny this thread pops up. I just returned from a sporting goods store and bought myself an adventure medical kit "pocket survival pack." Pretty nifty item considering it weighs less than 4oz. It also has all the essentials such as tinder, signal mirror, etc... Most likely this kit will be placed with my mountain biking gear.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'm a little confused, here. What would be in such a kit? I carry an awful lot of junk in my truck that I think I would survive alright. There is no way it would all fit in a Nalgene bottle, though. Between the first aid box, candles, fire starters, the radios, water filter and sleeping bag, I'd be hard pressed to fit it all in an Action Packer if it was kitted. Now in the backpacks I carry a much smaller subset of things, in particular a smaller first aid kit. Is this the kit you're thinking of? Being a MTB patroller I have always carried more junk that your average cyclist. I have a small bag that goes with me on every ride (except races), that is the first aid, safety blanket, a fire starter, a couple of purification tablets. Then I carry a multi-tool, knife, sun block, food and clothes (how much extra food and clothes varies on the length of the ride, though). I add a second bag in the ski pack that has the waxes (minimally Swix blue and red, as well as Glop Stop and glide wax), a binding tool, extra binding and boot parts. Basically I find that I vary the amount of stuff I bring based on the length of the trip, but I always have at least a small amount of 'survival' stuff.

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
TADgear sells a version of the nalgene bottle kits with better quality products, althought it is pretty pricey.

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme gear/tad_gear_bug_out_bottle.htm

You could put one together yourself cheaper than the REI kit but with much better components.

Personally, for a bare minimum kit, I just carry the essentials. multitool, flashlight, firestarter, bandaids, duct tape, dental floss. I normally carry this regardless if I'm going outdoors or not, it's just an everyday kit since a majority of my time is not in the wilderness. It's not very comprehensive, but it will keep me alive in most situations. If I know I'm heading outdoors hiking, I'll carry a full daypack of stuff, or if I'm exploring in a vehicle, then i carry quite a bit more.

There happens to be a whole forum dedicated to personal survival kits such as these.

www.equipped.org.

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
This is what was/is called the ten essential in the back packing world.
There are a ton of web sites that have different list, just search on key words "ten essientials".
Here are the ten+4
1. Map
2. Compass
3. Flashlight / Headlamp
4. Extra Food
5. Extra Clothes
6. Sunglasses
7. First-Aid Kit
8. Pocket Knife
9. Waterproof Matches
10. Firestarter

11. Water / Filter / Bottles
12. Whistle
13. Insect Repellents or Clothing
14. Sunburn Preventatives

There some commercial kits available but I made up a small fanny pack for mine.

Some good ideas to keep it small;
-Condoms take up no space and work to store/carry water.
-A 50 gal trash bag serves as extra clothing, a shelter, and a whole bunch of other stuff.
-A candle stub works for starting fires and as an extra light source.
-Wrap first aid tape around a medicine bottle filled with assorted pain/alergy/diarrhea pills.

PhulesAU

Explorer
SAR Helper

In the event you find yourself lost. It is very helpful to SAR if you make yourself easy to find. it's so simple but almost never comes up. take a chunk of old tire/ tyre with you. a piece about the 1" X 4" would be fine. If you reach the point of setting up shelter and starting a fire, make it as big as possible After sunrise start adding chunks of the old tire. burning tire makes a great smoke marker. this is very easy to see in almost any weather and can be smelled at a pretty good distance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl