pickups not for USA

haven

Expedition Leader
Here are five pickups that are very popular around the world, but are not available in North America.

Toyota HiLux
hilux.jpg

Mazda B-series (sold as Ford Ranger, Ford Courier, Mazda BT-50, and other names)
ranger.jpg

Nissan Navara
navarra.jpg

Mitsubishi Triton
triton.jpg

Isuzu D-Max
isuzudmax.jpg

In general, these models are a couple of inches narrower and shorter than the size auto manufacturers think we want to buy here. All are available with 2.5L to 3.0L turbo diesel engines.

People planning foreign overland travel should consider purchasing a small slide-in camper like the Four Wheel Campers "Finch" model and shipping it to the starting point of your trip. Then purchase a pickup like the models above to carry the camper when you arrive to start the trip.

Chip Haven

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Whats the difference in the Hilux and say the Tacoma or older Tundra? Diesel? I rented a Hilux 4x4 in Costa Rica for 10 days and didnt see much of a difference than the Tacoma. This was about 6 years ago.

Rob O

Adventurer
I understand how the Hilux and B-Series for non-US markets are different from those manufacturer's offerings here (i.e., Tacoma and Ford Ranger the Mazda is based on), and the Triton is completely unique from Mitsu's Dakota-based Raider, but how is the Navara different from the Frontier? It looks identical. Is it just engine/drivetrain choices ... or are there other significant diffs below the sheetmetal?

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Rob O said:
I understand how the Hilux and B-Series for non-US markets are different from those manufacturer's offerings here (i.e., Tacoma and Ford Ranger the Mazda is based on), and the Triton is completely unique from Mitsu's Dakota-based Raider, but how is the Navara different from the Frontier? It looks identical. Is it just engine/drivetrain choices ... or are there other significant diffs below the sheetmetal?

Why would we want a Hilux here in addition to the Tacoma? Looks pretty similar. Is diesel the only reason?

haven

Expedition Leader
size matters

The HiLux and Navara are a couple of inches shorter, narrower and less tall than the Tacoma and Frontier. The Navara sheetmetal looks very much like the Frontier.

I don't know if this size difference is because
--so many foreign countries have narrower streets, or
--American truck owners are physically larger, or
--the smaller international versions don't look manly enough to USA shoppers.

It's probably a bit of all three factors.

It's certainly true that today's international trucks are quite a bit larger than their counterparts were 20 years ago. They're just not as large as the models shipped to or built in the USA.

Chip Haven

mcm4090

Explorer
Rob O said:
but how is the Navara different from the Frontier? It looks identical. Is it just engine/drivetrain choices ... or are there other significant diffs below the sheetmetal?
It's the same truck. Just engine and drivetrain.

The Navara get the diesel and the 200mm front diff.

The Frontier has the 180mm front diff.
The Frontier does get the D44 (m226) rear with an E-locker.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The Hilux/Tacoma differences have come up before. Here's one thread specifically on the subject. I was a little surprised when I looked up the numbers, I thought for sure that the current Tacoma was quite a bit bigger than the current Hilux.

But, the biggest difference is the Taco wheelbase is 6" longer (this would be comparing the XtraCab trucks). Overall length is similar, track and width are 2" wider on the Tacoma. The height of the bed/tray deck is almost identical, turning circle is within a few inches of each other and the overall height of the Tacoma is slightly lower. The Tacoma has a higher minimum ground clearance and better approach and departure angles (I dunno the breakover angle on the Hilux), which is cool.

In my view there are really two key differences between the two, the main one structually being the 'C'-channel rear section of the Tacoma. The other is that the Hilux is offered optioned with more utility-like things, D4D diesel, stick shifts, more spartan interiors. But in reality, the Tacoma is a pretty decent off highway truck and I don't think it's really a second class Toyota. If it had a diesel option, I probably wouldn't have a problem considering it as replacement for my pickup.

IMV XtraCab Hilux 4WD (2005+):
WB: 3085mm (121.5")
Length: 5255mm (206.9")
Width: 1835mm (72.2")
Height: 1795mm (70.7")
Track (F/R): 1540mm/1540mm (60.6")
Weight: 1710 kg (3,770 lbs)
GVW: 2600 kg (5,730 lbs)
Min ground clearance: 212mm (8.3")
Approach angle: 30 deg.
Departure angle: 23 deg.
Tray Length: 1805mm (71.1")
Tray Width (overall): 1515mm (59.6")
Tray Height: 450mm (17.7")
Turning Circle: 12.2m (40.0 ft)

Tacoma AccessCab 4WD (2005+):
WB: 127.8"
Length: 208.1"
Width: 74.6"
Height: 69.9"
Track (F/R): 63.0"/63.4"
Weight: 3965 lbs
GVW: 5,350 lbs
Running ground clearance (F/R): 9.5"/9.4"
Approach angle: 35 deg.
Departure angle: 26 deg.
Break-over: 21 deg.
Bed Length: 73.5"
Bed Width (overall/between wheels): 56.7"/41.5"
Bed Height: 18"
Turning Circle: 40.7 ft.

For reference, my truck is a 1991 IFS RN110, XtraCab, 22R-E, 4WD. It's a domestic North America truck, but is essentially the same truck as any other Hilux from 1991. The U.S. Toyota 'Pickup' had primarily emissions as the main difference and IFS was standard and not optional as it was in most market up until 1997.

1991 IFS Hilux
Overall length: 4905mm (193.1")
Overall width: 1,690mm (66.5")
Overall height: 1,710mm (67.3")
Wheelbase: 3,095mm (121.9")
Front track (33x9.50, 15x7JJ): 1,475mm (58.1")
Rear track (33x9.50, 15x7JJ): 1,470mm (57.9")
Curb-to-Curb turning circle: 11,521mm (37.8 ft)
Payload (with 2 occupants): 1100kg (498 lbs)
GVW: 2,585kg (5,350 lbs)
GAW FR (225/75R15@26psi): 2600 lbs
GAW RR (225/75R15@35psi): 3000 lbs
Curb weight: 1,624kg (3,580 lbs)

Last edited:

BigAl

Expedition Leader
lowenbrau said:
The one that I covet is only available if you are a miner...

That is a great looking truck and possibly the saddest articulation display I've ever seen:)

DaveInDenver

BigAl said:
That is a great looking truck and possibly the saddest articulation display I've ever seen:)
Keep in mind that set up for mining they have something like 11 leaf spring packs in the back and a wheel base of I think 110". They would easily have a 1 ton continuous duty rating here in the U.S. The one liberated mining truck I've ridden in (a 1997 HZJ75) rode like I would imagine a prairie schooner would have. The tray on that Canadian mining HZJ75 was made from 3/16" sheet and probably weighed the better part of 1,000 lbs by itself...

BigAl

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
Keep in mind that set up for mining they have something like 11 leaf spring packs in the back and a wheel base of I think 110". They would easily have a 1 ton continuous duty rating here in the U.S. The one liberated mining truck I've ridden in (a 1997 HZJ75) rode like I would imagine a prairie schooner would have. The tray on that Canadian mining HZJ75 was made from 3/16" sheet and probably weighed the better part of 1,000 lbs by itself...

No doubt, it is an awsome truck, I just would have used some other prop to show off its prowess. I love to play basketball, but no one would want to watch me in slam dunk contest:sunflower

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Those Cruiser trucks have very hard suspension and usually the first mod is to replace it with OME or similar.
We're in the process of buying a doublecab version for the Desert Lion Project and fitting it with Ironman suspension.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

BigAl said:
No doubt, it is an awsome truck, I just would have used some other prop to show off its prowess. I love to play basketball, but no one would want to watch me in slam dunk contest:sunflower
Guess they figure it's hard to catch attention with a pile of steel and an engine driven welder in the back. Mundane stuff like that is boring to the recreational crowd, eh? :)

BigAl

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
Guess they figure it's hard to catch attention with a pile of steel and an engine driven welder in the back. Mundane stuff like that is boring to the recreational crowd, eh? :)

That's is exactly what I was thinking would have made a cool display, great minds think alike:D

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
lowenbrau said:
The one that I covet is only available if you are a miner...
IMO the BEST truck on the planet for me (a 70 series not nes the Mining version).

Oh and whoever started this thread... Were aware of our misfortune thank you very much... ;)

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online