Pop Up Camper for 5.5' Bed F150

stevo_pct

I have a 2019 F150 crew cab (Ford calls it a super crew) with the FX4 package and the 7000# GVWR option (which results in about 1700# of payload). It has the shortest bed available (5.5').

How many of you out there have this same (or similar) setup with a pop up camper? I have visited many dealers in Colorado area, FWC, Hallmark, Phoenix, OEV Camp-X, and they all say that my truck can handle a 6.5' pop up camper just fine - but of course they're selling them so they would say that.

I know that I would end up over the payload limit by a couple hundred pounds, and I'm not too worried about that (seems like everyone with mid-sized trucks, even with the 6.5' bed, are in the same boat and and don't seem to have issues). My bigger concern is with the center of gravity (measured from the front of the camper body towards the back). It seems like all 6.5' pop ups have a COG around 31" or more, which puts it behind the axle on a 5.5' bed truck. That doesn't seem good.

I know that Phoenix will do a custom build, so that's an option (they can build something shorter than 6.5'). And FWC has the Raven model, which is shorter than 6.5' and might work fine.

I will get airbags installed and load range E tires. That may address the payload limit somewhat, but I'll still be over GVWR and it doesn't change the center of gravity at all.

Is anyone out there hauling a 6.5' pop up in a 5.5' bed? Any thoughts or problems?

I'm planning on using it for extended (multi-month) trips to BC and Alaska, in case that makes any difference (not just local weekend use).

I guess one option is to get a different truck, but I just got mine last October and I'd like to find a way to make it work.

Thanks!
Steve

Last edited:

stevo_pct

I should add that I'm looking for a slide in camper. I'm not interested in a topper or wedge style camper. I'm also not interested in just the shell - I want to have a kitchen, fridge, and heater (I don't need a bathroom or cassette toilet though).

D

Deleted member 9101

If you're leaving it in the truck all the time, I'd go with RAS over bags.

pirate4x4lance

I'm pretty stoked on my 2018 Palomino SS550 on my Raptor. I have 37" tires with Deaver +3HD springs, and they are too soft. I have Timbrens on order and that should get it dialed in. I've heard nothing but good things about them for heavy loads. I just installed Renogy 100w x 2 solar panels, 100ah lithium batteries, and have a 2000w inverter/transfer switch coming. It beats the hell out of my Smittybilt rooftop tent I used to have.

Attachments

• IMG_5259.jpeg
    IMG_5259.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 56

eyemgh

I'm necromancing your thread. I have a 5.5' bed Silverado with a FWC Raven. It's a shell with no tanks. We can push it to the limit weight wise. We decided to ditch the whole thing an build up a F350 with a Hallmark and a flatbed. I'd be leery about throwing a bunch at a half ton. Unless you go the lightweight topper route, you'll outgrow it quickly.

Last edited:

stevo_pct

Thanks for the info, I decided to go with a small trailer instead. I agree, if I go the truck camper route, I'd be way happier upgrading to an F350 with a Hallmark. I just don't want to buy a new/used truck right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal