Pop up tops (newbie question)

Forgive me for barging in like this. I'm brand new to the forum, and I wasn't sure where to ask this question. I feel pretty silly even asking, but...

I've been looking at a lot of different Vanagons and other similar vans online lately, specifically vans with pop-up tops... but for some reason nobody ever seems to take an interior picture that shows what's actually *inside* the pop top! I can only assume this means it is either some kind of dark secret, like Voldemort is hiding up there, or it's so mundane and boring that nobody even thinks to point the camera up there.

What I really want to know is if there is a bed up there! In fact, ever since I was a child I have wondered what's inside those pop-tops, but I never had a chance to find out. Now with the magic of the Internet...I still can't find out! Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this subject! 😂

A little background: My wife and I currently live in Los Angeles with our infant daughter, and after some inspiration from a good friend who went fulltime a year ago, we have decided that in 2018 we're going to take the plunge ourselves. I'm a writer, and she is still searching for her true calling, and we both want our daughter to grow up knowing the beauty and freedom of nature, so it was a pretty easy sell. Still in the early stages, trying to figure out what sort of living situation we want to have. She loves the idea of a VW; I am hoping to find something akin to a poor-man's EarthRoamer--separate living space with a pass through, and off-road capable. Glad to be a part of this online community now! I'm sure you all will steer us in the right direction when the time comes. Cheers!

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
The early (70's) buses didn't have a bed in the top but the later buses (Vangons) do - it slides partially open to allow standing at the kitchen. Hard to take a photo of the bed area I guess. VW buses and Vanagons are pretty small.

You might consider something like a high top sprinter for more room and better economy - just not as "iconic".

Astro/Safari vans are cheap and available with AWD but rarely have a poptop installed unfortunately. There is a company in Colorado that adds them but people have had mixed results with them. A company in the LA area "Fiberine" offers high tops for Astro vans that can be self installed:

Fiberine Astro Van .jpg

You might consider something like a high top sprinter for more room and better economy - just not as "iconic".

Thanks for the info!

And yeah, we both really like the Sprinter 4x4. Just not sure if the budget is going to allow it. We have until 2018 to find out, I guess!

86scotty

Cynic
I've had several and the problem is taking pictures of them. For whatever reason that tiny space just isn't very photogenic. Your best bet is really to look at a couple of different ones in person and get a feel for the space. You can see many pics on Sportsmobiles website, Colorado Camper Van's site, and lots of VW Westy info and pics are out there. Go to a VW show and you can easily get a real look in a Westy.

I would strongly recommend you just buy a van first and get out and get camping and exploring in it. See if this is really for you before you 'take the plunge' into full timing since you don't seem to be real familiar with camping or campers. Good luck!

Pinnacle Campers

Chateau spotter
IN this day of the internet you CAN see pictures of the inside of a pop top you just have to ask,
I suggest Google, type "pop top bed", click images. :victory:

danfromsyr

Adventurer
have to search a little more.. "vanagon interiors" returned this image.

*fwiw, 68-73 VW bus had a flip out 'cot' up top good for a 8-12yr old
74-91 VW campers have a flip out double bed platform. good for most ages. some would install a safety net/board if the little ones move alot in their sleep

http://www.vanagontravels.com/p/take-tour-vanagon-interior.html
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-N3n64BxSVDA/T_b6m2dkVkI/AAAAAAAAKOA/1owBDVzlU_g/s1600/DSC05690.JPG
DSC05690.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lZek-L7g2Ec/T_b6is-oF9I/AAAAAAAAKN4/Xg5wCOt9hLo/s1600/DSC05683.JPG
DSC05683.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach