Prepping a 2004 Tacoma for a FWC Eagle Camper?

icediver

Observer
Hello all,

I need to prep my truck (2004 Tacoma, TRD, extra-cab, 6' bed) for the 2006 Four Wheel Camper Eagle I recently picked up. I've read forums/posts until I'm dizzy but I still had a few questions.

Frame strengthening plates for the Tacoma - do I need them? I'm not planning on adding a heavy rear bumper or tire carrier in the near future, but will the camper weight alone be enough to tweak the "weak" rear Tacoma frame? I need to crawl under there and see if I've already damaged it from towing. I've seen that some people have had issues when they mount airbags?

Which leads me to to my suspension question: I currently have a OME heavy suspension on my truck. Its a few years old so as settled a little. I'm planning on putting in the OME added leaf. I'm pretty sure that alone will not be enough to comfortably carry the camper. I like the idea of air bags, but have some concern about using them here in Alaska. I don't have a garage, so I regularly have a build up of snow and ice on my truck. I'm less concerned about the cold (usually see -50 degrees F at least once a year) and more with sharp ice puncturing or wearing through the bags. Is this a valid concern? If it is then I could go the Timbren route.

I need to give FWC a call and ask them, but any quick recommendations for how/where to mount the eye bolts in the bed?

Any other recommendations for using a 1st gen Tacoma with a camper? (Besides giving up any notion of passing on a hill).

Thanks for any help!

Stereo

Adventurer
Any quick recommendations for how/where to mount the eye bolts in the bed?

I was given the following information when I emailed FWC with that same question when I was on the verge of purchasing an Eagle for my 2003 Tacoma: "You want to measure from the front of the camper -include the rubber bumper if it is there - to the first eye bolt on the camper and subtract 6 inches. For the rear measure from the front of the camper to the rear eye bolt on the camper and add 6 inches. Take the two measurements and measure from the front of the bed and put the eyes bolts at those location. Width-wise, you want to be 2-3 inches wider than the camper and allow room to be able to access and turn the turnbuckles." I was warned to be really careful not to puncture gas lines, etc. when drilling. Best to use a step bit for more control. If you can get in there, it's safest to drill from underneath.

lqhikers

Adventurer
air bags

to answer your question on frame strength let me give you my experience.
on my first toyota with 4wheel pop up (i've had two different toyotas with 4wheel pop ups.)
my 2003 4x4 toyota was great with the pop top,but the weak part was the passenger side of the frame
i installed firestone ride right air bags,never had a problem with them,but the spot they mount
had not been boxed or reinforced at factory the drivers side is reinforced as the brake proportion.

on a trip to Baja the frame cracked in the area where the air bag was attached on the passenger side.
once it was boxed no more problems,

so i suggest to box it in install air bags and enjoy.

another tip that a lot of people miss when installing air bags is to first measure the distance from rear frame
to ground on each side before you install camper,after install you will notice that you will be lower on both sides
and even lower on one side than the other due to uneven camper weight,i do not think the builders take this into consideration
or even care. then after you install camper inflate air bags to bring height back to first measurement,it will be different
pressure in each bag,will also keep your headlights in adjustment.

my next toyota (2008) had the frame boxed already plus the mounting brackets were re designed had no problems
or any resin to modify.

hope this helps.

Les,lqhikers

ski3pin

I do not have a Tacoma so cannot respond from personal experience. If you haven't already, check out Mr. Johnson's Our Four Wheel Camper blog. On this trip report - Courtright Reservoir go to the end for information on frame problems he has encountered. Enjoy your new camper!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online