Previa awd - "Expedition Lite"

hop

Hi there, first time poster, been lurking for a while. If this should be in the "other vehicles" someone let me know. I was hoping I might get some Toyota specific expert advice here.

I've got a 1996 Previa all-trac that I'm in the process of turning into an expedition "lite" vehicle that will mostly get used on ski and surf missions around the PNW. The end goal is Baja/Mexico surf mission but that's been in the queue for about 15 years now... no rush. :)

The rear portion of the van now has a futon/bench system, the roof racks are installed, and now it's time to work on the rest of the vehicle.

The posts outlining lifts using custom fabricated spacers and so forth are drool worthy but I don't have the shop space, tools, nor expertise to pull off such a mod.

Is there a way to get any sort of increased clearance or off road capabilities by replacing shocks/struts/springs/??? I need to replace shocks and struts anyways, so if there are some that would be more suitable for light off-roading I might as well go that route.

I'm also interested in adding some sort of skid plate below the engine. If anyone has any ideas here, I'm all ears!

Here are some photos of the van.

As purchased this summer with 108k miles! Now with 112k. Thule rack has been installed.

Bed in bed mode.

Bed rails attached to rear seat mounts. I need to find a way to keep it from sliding around fore/aft when driving.

Center slider board for support. I will add wood rails to increase the depth/length of the groove so it's more stable.

Bed frame with removable front supports.

Frame in bench mode. Front supports go in the pockets behind driver and passenger seats.

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
OMG yes! I learned how to drive in one of these Previas. I've always thought how they would make a fantastic daily and bike/ski shuttle wagon with the AWD and indestructible engine, but this takes it to the next level. Very intrigued, keep it up!

EDIT: a Prinsu roof rack and ARB awning would look so cool on this thing. Damn, now I want a Previa.

midship909

Awesome it's pretty much a modern day synchro vanagon. It's looking good already with that bed bench.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Blender

Adventurer
Wikipedia says the Previa is mid engine, is this true? Any under hood pictures of the weird layout?

hop

The Previa (or "Perv") is indeed mid-engine.

Previa_DriveTrain_Zenseeker.net_.jpg

It's nowhere near as burl as a Synchro in the off-road department but hopefully it's nowhere near as unreliable either, and didn't cost $40k! Seems like they're pretty bulletproof when well maintained and stories of easy 300k+++ are everywhere. Since mine's only got 112k, I figure it should last a long time.

Approach and departure angles are good but the main issue I'm afraid of is only having about 6" of clearance under the mid engine.

The gal and I drove it from OK to WA this summer and averaged 20mpg on the nose. Not bad for a supercharged 4-banger w/ AWD.

enzo

Explorer
I had no idea these were available with a SC. That's ************ man. IN for more updates.:lurk:

hop

Question regarding wheels and tires:

The stock wheels are nearly new Michelin Hydroedge on 16" wheels but for dedicated snows I found some nearly new Michelin X-Ice XI2s on 17" wheels. The overall circumference is basically identical.

The new wheels were off an Acura 64.1mm center bore and the van has 60.1mm. Same lug nut pattern. Do I need hub centric rings or are the lug nuts fine by themselves? There seems to be a 50/50 split from my research. :)

D

Deleted member 9101

I remember years ago reading of a guy who made spacers for the front struts and used the rear springs out of a mustang? to get a few inches of lift.

WillBeck

Adventurer
Question regarding wheels and tires:

The stock wheels are nearly new Michelin Hydroedge on 16" wheels but for dedicated snows I found some nearly new Michelin X-Ice XI2s on 17" wheels. The overall circumference is basically identical.

The new wheels were off an Acura 64.1mm center bore and the van has 60.1mm. Same lug nut pattern. Do I need hub centric rings or are the lug nuts fine by themselves? There seems to be a 50/50 split from my research. :)

If you have conical lug nuts and torque them down correctly, you should be fine. Get rings for piece of mind as budget allows.

Danimal

Adventurer
Yes, I love this. Ultimate dirt bagger adventure vehicle - without the VW price tag and reliability. Keep it coming!

Dan

vicali

Adventurer
Great to see someone with the same goals get there a bit differently.
I used to drive an earlier toyota panel van when I was a kid, we called it the pocket rocket!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77