propane distribution question.

lostissues

I just got a little buddy heater for my trailer. the trailer is the bed of a truck turned trailer with a cap on top. I want to get the adapter to be able to run the heater off of a 20lb bottle. if you buy a kit from Mr. heater they have 2 options, a black hose and a green hose. the black hose suggests that you run their fuel filter so contaminants don't damage the heater and replace the filter once a year ($11 @amazon.com). the green hose kit (http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F273704-Plasticizer-Free-Portable/dp/B001CFWF5U) does not leak oils into the fuel so that would be the route that I'm looking to go.
now the thing is that I want to mount the propane bottle on the tongue of the trailer and pipe it into the bed for easy hook up. but I cannot find anyone else selling the oil free hoses so I cannot make a patch hose into the bed. rigid pipe will make it hard to connect/disconnect the bottle for refilling/exchange.
does anyone have any suggestions for getting the gas from the tank to the inside of the trailer? would a stainless steel braided line work? or is it just black rubber wrapped in a stainless steel braid?

also I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to pipe into the area where I would be sleeping, I assume it would be fine because the heater will be in there anyway so the gas has to get in somehow. and to use the heater I would have to have a window open a little to allow for oxygen to come in.

If I cannot figure out a way to pipe it in I will probably just run it through a drainage grommet in the front of the bed.

Thanks,
Jonathan

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Some of your questions may be answered here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37733

On the oil issue, this is the first that I've heard of such a thing. When propane is used as a motor fuel it is considered to be a "dry" fuel and engine built specifically to run on propane have suitable mods made to them to deal with this. I haven't run a heater (though I'm about to), but I have run lanterns and stoves directly off of a std. bbq bottle for years. No issues what so ever.

robert

Expedition Leader
Visit your local propane dealer- they can usually make hoses in any configuration you want.

If I'm camping for a few days and take my propane setup, I use a pole on the tank with a lantern on the top of it, a short hose run to the Coleman stove propane adapter and the longer hose goes into the bus to the heater. Both of my extension hoses are black and I haven't had any issues with them. Just my experiences.

lostissues

if you look on Mr. heaters site they suggest using the filter when using the black hoses and their warranty depend on changing the filter once a year. I guess that the hoses themselves leach oil into the propane that can possible gum up the heaters internals. I don't know how true that is but I figured I would be better safe then sorry.

I was thinking of using something similar to this http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F271239-Universal-Gas-Appliance/dp/B000AM8T38/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_2 to use to go from the tank into the trailer but I'm not sure if it is just the standard black hose wrapped in a metal sleeve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner