question about RTT and trailer lids/tops

pikdiesel

I plan on getting a CVT to run on my trailer. I also would like to run a hard lid/top to keep things water tight. I have seen plenty of pictures with RTT directly attatched to the rack which is hard mounted to the top/lid. For those who run this set up, how is it getting into/opening the trailer lid with the tent set up? I was thinking about making a rack system outside of the perimeter of the lid, so I can open my top without having to lift the tent. Any suggestions and/or opinions on either one of these set ups?

Last edited:

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I have my ARB RTT mounted to the lid. It works fine and I use two 175 lb struts. I can open it fairly well and my 31 year old son can do it easier. My wife would not be able to do so.

There are a lot of good ideas out there on how to mount it but so far the ones I have seen put the center of gravity too high. A rack tall enough to allow the lid to open puts the 100+lb tent too high for me.

Just my 2 cents.

Photos of what you are making????

pikdiesel

103_0158.jpg

100_2350.jpg

Here is what I have... thinking of making a flat lid with hinges that open from the side.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Attachments

• 100_2352.jpg
    100_2352.jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I mounted my RTT to open on the same side as the trailer lid.

trailerCJ001.jpg

trailerCJ009.jpg

Since my M416 has no tailgate, the lid is the only access.

Works well, as long as no one is taking a nap!:Wow1:

I also have struts inside to help lift the lid. It's easy to lift when the tent is open, bit harder with it closed.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Nice trailer. Is the open side for a pull out kitchen/frig?

My hinges are on the side as well. I would suggest putting the hinges on driver side. That way if you have to pull off the road, you are not standing in the road when you open it. I also put RTT hinge side same as lid. Makes it easy to open the lid and ladder stays put.

1SAR39

Yep, mounted mine the same way. Works great!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340595162.946469.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340595162.946469.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 404
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340595182.315898.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340595182.315898.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 404

hollaback55

Explorer
i agree with Don regarding the height factor and COG with a perimeter frame that allows a lid to open underneath the tent. it would definitely be a bit top heavy and cause much more drag on the trailer when traveling affecting gas mileage significantly. I have mine mounted like the others with the tent opening on the hinge side. I also dont have a tailgate so the lid is my only option to get things in and out.

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
My tent is getting mounted directly to the trailer lid as well, the same as those above. I dont like all that weight up high on a rack above the lid like some people have them. These trailers have a pretty narrow track, and my tent (CVT Mt Hood 4 person) is 175# dry...that is a lot of weight on a rack. I am setting my lid up to open from the rear (hinges on the front of the trailer) and the tent opens to the side. We will see how well this works out for me...at least the center of gravity will be low.

There was a thread on here about a guy who rolled his trailer with an RTT. He had a rack system with an RTT and some storage loaded up high...all totaled in the crash. I think the weight up high was a big factor in this rollover.

In my opinion, mounted to the lid, side opening. Nice trailer BTW!!

pikdiesel

Well, it has been a year since posting. I have been able to use me trailer and tent set up with much success. I ended up mounting my lid like the few have shown. The height of the rack/tent was dependent on the function of the annex/changing room.

IMG_20120716_152252.jpg

I wanted to be able to stand up while being in and using the room.

103_0225.jpg

The lid is able to be opened from the 'drivers' side with ease. I am just using a stick for a prop at the moment. I seldom have to open the lid once the tent is set up. I try to position things such that they are all accessible. I am glad I made a small door in the front corner of the trailer. It makes for easy access to things in the front of the trailer.

IMG_20120630_141104.jpg

IMG_20120630_141125.jpg

Thank you all that have responded with opinions and recommendations. Very happy with my trailer and how it has served me!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven