Question about Vagabond Nomad

COCOtoyo

Hello,

I have been researching lightweight pop up campers for some time now and I think that I like the Vagabond the best.

My application is truck camping - being able to use the bed of my truck for benches/ storage and sleeping up top. I am 6'4" for the record.

I am wondering:

1. Are there any other pop up campers I should consider instead?

2. Is there any likelyhood of being able to find a used model out there? It seems like there are probably very low production numbers.

Thank you!

Photobug

Hello,

I have been researching lightweight pop up campers for some time now and I think that I like the Vagabond the best.

My application is truck camping - being able to use the bed of my truck for benches/ storage and sleeping up top. I am 6'4" for the record.

I am wondering:

2. Is there any likelyhood of being able to find a used model out there? It seems like there are probably very low production numbers.

Thank you!

All high quality used camping equipment are selling at a premium right now. If you were to find one used it might actually cost more than retail because there is a year or so wait on many products. After what I call Covid related panic buying and a price increase on all things used and a shortage or complete lack of new stock, I am finally seeing prices on older units coming down.

At your height you are likely going to have to custom alter anything to fit you. Good luck in your search.

crazysccrmd

Observer
You're unlikely to find one used as I don't think they've made more than ten of the Nomads and production times have been running close to a year. You'd likely be able to get a different pop up camper from another manufacturer quite a bit sooner even if ordering new.

WOODY2

Adventurer
Hello,

I am wondering:

Thank you!
Find a used FlipPac, hard to find but well worth the effort.

dstefan

Well, you’ve got an inch on me, but in the same boat. Tacoma is now just too small. You might want to check out Ovrlnd Campers. https://campovrlnd.com/

We have one on order now for a likely Jan delivery. They’re in Flagstaff, so we were able to visit the shop and spend time with how they’re built. They are customizable as to dimensions (eg, Extra height). Huge beds, very light weight but stout if you want to wheel it, which we do. This was our choice for probably a Tundra after almost going FWC/F250 route. Much lighter and more nimble and you can set up as you like, as with the Nomads. Worth checking out — Jay’s a good guy and does quality work. Reasonable price too. Think it’s still less lead time than a Nomad. There’s several build threads on Expo as well you can check.

D. Tuttle

Hello,

I am wondering:

Thank you!
Try A/T Overland or 4 wheel Drive Camper if you looking for something near the Western Rockies.

Pshin

Well, you’ve got an inch on me, but in the same boat. Tacoma is now just too small. You might want to check out Ovrlnd Campers. https://campovrlnd.com/

We have one on order now for a likely Jan delivery. They’re in Flagstaff, so we were able to visit the shop and spend time with how they’re built. They are customizable as to dimensions (eg, Extra height). Huge beds, very light weight but stout if you want to wheel it, which we do. This was our choice for probably a Tundra after almost going FWC/F250 route. Much lighter and more nimble and you can set up as you like, as with the Nomads. Worth checking out — Jay’s a good guy and does quality work. Reasonable price too. Think it’s still less lead time than a Nomad. There’s several build threads on Expo as well you can check.

I can second OVRLND Campers. I have one and it's been great. What kind of truck do you have? I believe OVRLND is one of the few that truly takes advantage of large bed trucks. The bigger the bed, the bigger the popped portion of the camper-- on some other designs, this isn't the case. The result is that longbeds have TONS of space. They also use vertical walls which increases space width-wise, especially when it comes to the sleeping platform. It also makes it easier to build things inside up against the wall. You won't find super fancy specialty machined parts, just a simple and well-built product that works and is easy to work on.

Since all OVRLND campers are made to order, you can work with them to customize exactly what you want. Pretty sure you can request to have it built taller for more headroom if you wanted. They're friendly and good to work with.

A recent player to this space is Super Pacific. I like the looks of their stuff. Seems super well thought out. I think they are relatively new, so I haven't seen a whole lot about them yet.

i had an order on a vagabond drifter for almost a year before selling my spot in line for +500$ and ordering a FWC Project M the next day. project m made more sense on 5' bed tacoma for me, for the added room from the width and vertical walls like the ovrlnd mentioned above, and ability to build it lightweight how i want

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I really liked my Snap Treehouse....
aluminum so didn't weigh much,
huge side window/doors made getting anything from the bed cake
and the bed lifted into the roof if you needed max walkaround space inside

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven

Members online