Question about Yakima Skyrise RTT

napuli

I got a brand new but older generation 1 Skyrise 3 person RRT last weekend and have some questions:

I can not get the tongue and groove between the two floor pieces to align with each other. One side is tight but the other side shows a little gap between the tongue and groove. I watched the setup videos that say to make sure the tongue and groove join is engage and now I am paranoid the whole thing is going to fall apart when putting weight on the floor piece supported by the ladder. I searched the internet to find if this is normal but I did not find anything. The outfit that sold me the tent told me is probably ok. I am waiting for a reply from Yakima but they are busy now and will probably take five days to reply. I am taking the tent in a long road trip in about 1 week and was hoping to get some feedback regarding this issue. Obviously I am new to RRT and don't know much about them. Apart from the join issue the tent looks good. It stay dried after spending a few hours on heavy rain and all the hardware seems to be good and tight. Join.jpgElement.jpg

If you purchased from an authorized Yakima retailer, and have your receipt, the tent should be covered by Yakima’s lifetime warranty.

napuli

If you purchased from an authorized Yakima retailer, and have your receipt, the tent should be covered by Yakima’s lifetime warranty.
I am afraid to admit this but the tent was sold with no warranty because is an older model I guess. When I called the outfit that sold me the tent they said I could return it if I though it was unsafe. I paid $1100 for the tent plus $60 for the installation, with tax it was $1275. They told me the new model would be twice as expensive? I am guessing they were probably thinking about the HD model.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
You should be able to loosen the hinge to floor bolts, push it together, and re-tighten, but that photo seems to be well within the limits of what I have expected and run on several Tepui tents. I wouldn’t overthink it.

napuli

You should be able to loosen the hinge to floor bolts, push it together, and re-tighten, but that photo seems to be well within the limits of what I have expected and run on several Tepui tents. I wouldn’t overthink it.
I had the same though but in the yakima one of the two bolts on the base plate for the hinge mechanism is very close to the edge of the plate with very little room to adjust anything. The outfit that sold me the tent told me the same thing about being within the limits of what they consider normal. They did offer to check it out in person but it makes me feel better having second opinions. I like your suggestion to not overthink it. Thanks for the helpful reply.

Halligan

Adventurer
I had the same though but in the yakima one of the two bolts on the base plate for the hinge mechanism is very close to the edge of the plate with very little room to adjust anything. The outfit that sold me the tent told me the same thing about being within the limits of what they consider normal. They did offer to check it out in person but it makes me feel better having second opinions. I like your suggestion to not overthink it. Thanks for the helpful reply.

Could you have a new hinge fabricated with some more meat to allow for adjustment?

napuli

Could you have a new hinge fabricated with some more meat to allow for adjustment?
Maybe. We have a great metal shop in town and I am sure they could make a new base. This is something I may consider after the trip because I don't have much time now.

0dax0

I had the skyrise 2 and saw that the hinge never sat in there completely flush when deployed and I used that tent quite a bit last summer. I wouldn’t be too concerned about it honestly. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ebrabaek

Adventurer
It usually seats when weight is on that panel.
My tepui kuggenam xl is the same way.
The fabric is holding it up until you weigh it down.
Moisture will also relax the fabric to seat it.
Dont worry about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL