Question? how to make my own remote start

MichelleKiwi

I'm Looking into how to make my own remote start
From Aliexpress, I bought a relay with a remote, a timer relay, and 2 normally open relays. (I'm waiting for it to arrive)
Is this theory correct?
1. The button on the remote is pushed which energizes the relay on the receiver board.
2. That relay energizes a normally open relay which powers the ON Ignition Wire.
3. The relay on the receiver board also triggers the timer relay for 3 seconds.
4. The timer relay for 3 seconds, energizes the 2nd normally open relay, which is hooked to the starter solenoid.
5. The engine starts.
6. The button on the remote is re-pushed which de-energizes the relay on the receiver board.
7. The relay on the receiver board, de-energizes the first normally open relay which de-powers the ON Ignition Wire.
8. The engine stops
Basically, ON Ignition Wire is powered, starter solenoid is triggered for 3 secs, engine starts, ON Ignition Wire is de-powered, engine stops.
Thanks

Last edited:

MichelleKiwi

You might consider adjustable timer, you maybe discover timing needs tweaking for example.
Sorry, I should have said the timer relay is adjustable
12V-Relay-Cycle-Timer-Module-PLC-Home-Automation-Delay-Multifunction.jpg_640x640.jpg

Btw, Another thought. Depending why you want remote start, perhaps add a timer for automatic shutdown.
On the off chance it activates (pocket dialed maybe ? ) & it fires up without you knowing, it wont run hours on end.
Thanks, that is a good idea. If I get a second timer relay, and wire it just after the remote, that would fix that

Last edited:

MichelleKiwi

You can buy a basic one like what you're talking about for super cheap - why mess about?

Some Idiot went through a stop sign and totalled my car, so I have to get a new one. I had some basic electronic features in the old car, that I want to add back, plus add some that I didn't have.
I got a remote relay system like this, it has four relays, each button controls a relay
View attachment 349317
I would like one remote that does everything instead of having a remote for each thing

Last edited:

ajmaudio

Adventurer
A remote start that is timer based will likely not be very nice to your starter, or start reliably all the time. The time the engine has to crank to start changes with many factors, temperature outside, was the vehicle recently driven?, Battery condition etc etc... good remote starts monitor tach signal to catch the upswing in rpm as the engine starts to disengage the starter. I installed systems like this for a living in a former life, just some thoughts.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I have an Avital 4103LX that I bought from Amazon for $42.34

It comes with 2 remotes, that also lock/unlock the truck and close the windows for me.

It cranks multiple times, sensing for motor start. (it monitors the alternator current, when it sees the voltage pop up it knows that the truck has started). It also has a neutral safety switch (won't start in gear) and a brake detect (drops out if you press the brake). If I remote start it will run for whatever time I select (I think 30 minutes right now), and I can also set it to remote start every 3 hours throughout the night if it is really cold.

There are a bunch of other functions on it that I'm not using (since I don't have a trunk release, for example), so I could wire it to do a bunch of other stuff if I wanted.

I'm sure you could roll your own, but unless you really want to program in the ignition sense thing because that is fun for you, why not just spend $42.34?

https://www.amazon.com/Avital-4103LX-Remote-System-4-Button/dp/B002P4P1G2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven