Quick! Need some help.

Caoboy

Adventurer
Just want to know if there is any reason NOT to get this :
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...d=11552935&cp=4406646.4413993.4417832.4417833

We've a $25 rewards points certificate thing to sweeten the deal and bring it in at 475.

The only other canoe we saw in our price range was :
http://www.basspro.com/Old-Town-Rockport-Canoe/product/10227653/-1563165

The only thing I like about this one is the 'cooler' and dry well as well as the fact that it's old town.

The mad river had no bad reviews, whereas the old town was kind of a 'meh' kind of canoe and response I received from the reviews was PASS.

Looking to purchase tomorrow, and I just want to make sure there is nothing better out there that we might be missing out on. I've been checking all around for second hand canoes/kayaks, but no luck...

Wifey demands we get a tandem canoe, as she wants to make sure I go over with her if she flips it. :snorkel:

I ready to pull the trigger on the Mad River but just want to make sure I'm happy with it. We'll only be using it to paddle around lakes/calm rivers...

kerry

Expedition Leader
Those boats are Mad River's mass market boats. Kind of like the new Coleman. You're getting a $475 canoe. Take this for what's it's worth--for me it would be a better investment to take the $475 and spend it on a higher quality used boat. For instance, I found an Old Town Scout (polyethylene version of the Appalachian) on Craigslist for $200 a number of weeks ago. Far more versatile canoe. I had to replace a deck and repair a gunwale--total cost $40.

S

Squatchout

For a rec boat you can do far worse than those mad rivers. My main fishing bud has 2 a 14' and a 16'. They are a lot like a roto molded yak only open with backrests. Get the 16' if you can. It will be much roomier especially for the bow paddler. Any tandem shorter than 16' is getting cramped especially if you are fishing and casting from the boat. They are also much slower to paddle.
Much better boat than a coleman or pelican in my opinion.

Caoboy

Adventurer
Those boats are Mad River's mass market boats. Kind of like the new Coleman. You're getting a $475 canoe. Take this for what's it's worth--for me it would be a better investment to take the $475 and spend it on a higher quality used boat. For instance, I found an Old Town Scout (polyethylene version of the Appalachian) on Craigslist for $200 a number of weeks ago. Far more versatile canoe. I had to replace a deck and repair a gunwale--total cost $40.

That's the thing, I don't know how to repair canoes, so I don't want to take a gamble on one and it turn out worse than I originally thought. I also absolutely cannot find one for sale in the same price range that isn't a junk coleman. I think this would be a good starter canoe, and was hoping someone might have one on here. Nothing is set in stone yet, and if I find a good condition old town it'd be great... :snorkel:

Caoboy

Adventurer
Picked up the Mad River today. I'm pretty impressed with it. For being a 'smaller' canoe, it's perfect for 3 people, for what we are going to do. I love the seat backs, they are very sturdy.

First one the associates brought out was OK condition, a couple of loading scratches and what not. As they were bringing it to the front of the store, I noticed a dent in the forward right side (bow starboard side?) that I didn't catch in a different light. Asked them if they had any more, as that was a pretty big dent, and even though it popped out, the plastic was stretched and as soon as it cooled off/water pushed on it it would pop back in. The manager asked me if I would take it for $100 off. VERY tempting, but I knew that the dent was forever, and I would not be happy with it, as that dent would piss me off and I'd hate myself for being greedy.

Second one they brought out was perfect. No dents, no scratches, no problems! Paid for it and went to load it onto my CR-V. That's where the fun began. The factory rack, while being rated for 75-100 lbs, was kind of sketchy. I've read some things on a honda forum where too much lift/upward force from tightening things can actually rip out the rack from the bolts that are welded into the channels. IDK if it's actually true, I've never seen anything like that, but I've also not seen many CRV's with a canoe on top of it. So I strapped it down, not to the side rails, but the actual rack mounts, as they have eye lets. Seemed more secure, as the side rails (not cross bars) actually lifted up a little bit when snugging the strap. The eyelet area on the rack mounts did not have this problem. Strapped the bow to the front tow hooks through the carry handle, and didn't have another strap for the stern with the rear tow hook. Drove it home, and never got passed 45mph. Other than the cross bars vibrating a bit when going over bumps (i guess they need a little bit of tightening) the canoe came home safely. My brother called it the Titanic, as it was looking pretty big when we got it into the garage. (He's used to war canoes, IDK why he thinks this is so big)

All in all, I'm satisfied with my purchase, and while I thought 14ft was going to be small, it seems perfect for us! We are going to take it out this weekend, either strapped in the back of my brother's truck, or my dad's, as I don't want to chance it with the CR-V.

I'm going to purchase a 2 piece ladder rack, and that way I can use that on either of the trucks we have available, and just haul the canoe around with that, until I can get my own Toyota.

I can't wait to get out onto the water!

S

Squatchout

Glad it seems to be working out for you. Put some real aftermarket racks on the crv!

Caoboy

Adventurer
Won't the stock rack get in the way? That's what I don't get. The stock CRV rack supposedly can't handle a canoe up there strapped down with foam blocks etc. Yakima says I can just use 'grab mount's (attaching to the stock rack?) and set up the canoe on their rack. Thus, using the stock rails still.

I wonder, is there a way to utilize an aftermarket rack, while still leaving the factory rack attached to the roof? I don't want to take it off, because the factory black running strips were cut to mount the rack. I'd have to purchase new ones, in turn adding to the cost of this rack. Maybe I can just unbolt the rack itself, leaving the feet attached.

S

Squatchout

We have a 1st gen CRV without a roof rack. My thule aero roof mounts mount in the doors like on most modern cars. They are pretty tall as well. I'm not familiar with the factory rack. My Bud has a Honda Pilot with the factory rack and he uses the Yakima cross bars that mount to that to carry his yaks. He's had no problems. I assume they may be similar to yours.

Caoboy

Adventurer
Imagine your crv, the gutter rails (the black strips) have bolts that are spot welded into those channels. It's beefier than described, you can pop yours and check it out actually. Does your thule rack get in the way of or cover those black strips in any way?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk