RCSB GMC - A bunch of things done, a bunch more to do

JSyrja

I've been poking at my truck for a long time, and have finally made a push to get things done on it. I'm hoping this thread will keep me motivated to keep going on it.

To start, my truck is a 2010 GMC Sierra reg cab, short box 4X4 WT, with the 4.8L V8. I got it new off the lot in 2010, it currently sits with about 22,000km on it, 14,000miles. It would be nice if it had the leather seats and power windows that the higher trim levels have, but I couldn't justify the costs they wanted to go up in trim, especially when I disliked that half the cost was for ugly chrome bits on the front of my truck. That said, the truck did come with the carpeted interior, and with the upgraded stereo. I do a lot of my driving in/around urban areas so the shorter wheel base is great for that, it's also been nice off road when I've needed to turn around on some of the narrower paths.

After getting the truck home, one of the first things I did was book it in for a spray in bed liner. Ended up wanting some covered lockable storage as well so got a box in the back as well.

That was great for awhile, but I never used the box, and thought a canopy would suit me better. Ended up with a leer and have been happy with that choice since.

Current upgrades/additions/mods:
Level kit
285/70/17 BFG KM2s
OEM Fog Lights
OEM Transcooler
OEM HD Mirrors
OEM Window Deflectors
Hellas behind front grill
Reverse lights
VI AIR Ultra Duty OBA - in spare tire location
Switch console
de badged

JSyrja

I wanted to be able to sleep comfortably and go camping easily out of my truck here so I built a platform in the back. First attempt was 2x10s with a 1" ply on top, basically covering the whole back.
I left space for bins/drawers underneath, as well as space on the sides, and top for more stuff. First pic here shows the early stages.

And it never got past the stage in the next picture.

Long storey short, I spent a very very cold night on that platform, got locked behind a gate at night, wasn't fully prepared to spend the night in the woods/truck. Spent 3 hours trying to find a tiny side road in the dark that my map showed bypassed the main gain. Turns out whomever put the main gate up, knew that to, and gated it as well. Spent a november night in the back of the truck, with 2 thin wool blankets. Froze. But I learnt one thing, being 6'2" and not overly flexible, being forced to keep your feet at the same level you're sitting at, and not being able to fully stretch up, is awkward and uncomfortable. So I changed the platform again. I basically chopped off half of the platform. It's much more comfortable now, and it's easier to load. There's enough room to slide coolers and things in on the floor, they come out at night to sleep, and that leaves a lot of leg room below the seating level. I can't fix the height issue but that's not overly concerning at the moment.

This has been ok, but I've been thinking of changing it up again. I'd like to build something much the same but with 1/2" OSB and make I beams with it. I figure it'll be lighter. I'll also change up the drawr idea to a lift top as well. I haven't been a bit fan of the drawer I made for it. It doesn't slide well, and if I ever can't get the tail gate open, I'm screwed because that's where my recovery gear lives. I haven't been happy with the OSB at the lumber yards here recently though, they store it on 2 supports that are two close together so the whole stack warps. It's also not to high on my priority list at the moment.

I've been working on some creature comforts for the canopy lately. I talked nice to my grandmother and got her to sew me up some curtains for inside. I made brackets out of aluminium angle, I removed the frame screws, covered it with tape, traced the frame and screw location, then transfered to the aluminium, drilled, installed eye bolts, and attached to the window frames. I just need some shock cord for the curtains and then they should be set. I might need to make a support for the centre of the frames, but will see if I need them.

Next project is lights in the interior. I have some aluminium bar stock that I plan on making a brace with off of the interior bolts for the roof racks. I've got 8' of LED lighting that I'll attach to this and hang up there. I've got a small electrical box as well for an on/off switch and a dimmer for the LEDs that I'll install under the rail of the truck. Probably wont need it now so much as summer is starting to wind down here, but I'll use some more of the bar stock to make a mount in the windows for a cpu fan to help get some air flow in the truck. LEDs are going to be connected to my currently non existent second battery. I have a solenoid in transit, and just need to find a decent deep cycle battery for a reasonable price.

Other projects/thoughts I'd like to do at some point in the future:
Power inverter
Solar
Hidden Winch
4" lift
Front skid plates
Rear bumper with tire carrier (currently don't carry a spare)
Roof rack

Unfortunately I don't get to get out and use the truck as much as often or as long as I would like here. And it doesn't help that a lot of the roads here get over grown fast, and even some of the more used ones aren't that great as a lot of people drive import trucks, and they aren't as wide.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Welcome to the site Jsyrja. I think you can find a thread here that directly concerns builds for shells like your Leer. The thread was quite long with lots of different solutions on how to outfit a cnopy like yours. Look through a few pages here and I am sure you can find it. Keep us updated with LOTS OF PICS! Cheers, Chilli...:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad