rear tire cargo rack

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Thats a good point, Think I'll stick with just my plan to build a defender rack for my KJ.:smiley_drive:

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
I think they make that style of rack on an extension that lifts it up , but I wouldn't trust to muchweight on it either.
Maybe modify one of those Jeep racks that attaches to the body ??

jagular7

Adventurer
Yah, something like that in that picture location wouldn't be able to carry more than a pillow. LOL.

However, you could look at putting it between the wheelwells inside without the back seat. You could look to adapt it to a swing tire carrier. You could look at mounting it to a hitch frame with a hitch extension. You could look at putting it on the tongue of a trailer. You could also look at adapting it to the top of a Jeep as well.

Each location will require deeper review of its carry capacity as well as the mounting to carry what you want. I have a friend that has a tossed out ConFerr rack that he's modding to put in the back of his Scrambler behind the rear seat above the Jeeps side panels. He's adding structure since it didn't come with a base.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Something like this
14145-md.jpg

or maybe one like goes inside an XJ

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
The ad says it will hold 250#:Wow1:

ya to get that it says you need their tire carrier

Weight capacity on Jeep tailgate is 50 pounds, weight capacity when installed on a quality tire carrier like the 700 Olympic Tire Swing is 250 pounds on the highway and 125 pounds on the trail.

I still wouldn't trust it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk