Recommend me a canoe (2 adults + 2dogs)

Whitey

Adventurer
Gentlemen,

I am looking into getting a canoe for recreation (lake/easy river) use. It would be for my wife and I and our 2 German Shepherds. I'm in the early stages of research, but if any experts here could give me some advice I'd appreciate it.

UNI

Adventurer
We have a Bell canoe, made of Royalex®. Royalex is a great product for rock bottom streams, like we have here in Missouri & Arkansas. They tend to be fairly light weight as well, weighing in at about 60-65 lbs. and very durable. Are you planning overnight float trips (Example: 3 Days/2 Night). If so, you'll need enough room for the 2 adults, 2 dogs & gear. We have a 15.6ft. canoe and it works great for 2 adults, 1 small dog & gear. In your case, I wouldn't get anything less than 17ft canoe (Weighing Approx. 70-75lbs.)

Here are a couple canoes I would recommend:
Click Here: Bell Canoe Works
Click Here: Wenonah Canoe

Last edited:

daverami

Explorer
I have a Tripper S model, made by Western Canoeing in BC, Canada. It's small for what you would like, it's 16'9". It can be paddled solo and handles very well. They have a larger model, the Tripper which is a full size expedition canoe. Mine is kevlar and it weighs 52lbs. I can handle loading and unloading myself off of the top of my truck.

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I have a Tripper S model, made by Western Canoeing in BC, Canada. It's small for what you would like, it's 16'9". It can be paddled solo and handles very well. They have a larger model, the Tripper which is a full size expedition canoe. Mine is kevlar and it weighs 52lbs. I can handle loading and unloading myself off of the top of my truck.

Sure it's not made by Clipper Canoes?

Not to bust your chops, just I've been looking at Clipper canoes, looks like Western Canoeing is a retailer of Clipper?

I've been considering the Tripper, or one of the MacKenzies. Need it for 2 adults, 2 kids, and camping gear.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Don't know what your budget is, but there are a lot of good used canoes out there. See what's on your local craigslist and post up here for others to comment on its appropriateness and quality. For instance, there's an aluminum Grumman Eagle for sale on the Denver craigslist right now for $200. While I'm not a big fan of aluminum canoes, the Grumman Eagle was a better design than the standard Grumman and $200 is pretty cheap to get out on the water. Plus aluminum canoes can stand a lot of abuse. I have a friend who used to throw some sand in the bottom of his aluminum canoe and build a campfire to cook his lunch while floating down a river. Probably not advisable in a plastic boat.
One of my favorite canoes is an old fiberglass Mohawk Jensen WWIII that I bought from a newspaper ad for $50 twenty five years ago. I've gotten tons of enjoyment and hundreds of paddling miles out of it and it's got at least another 25yrs left in it.

Last edited:

njsjeep

Observer
The Bell Explorer series are some of the best all around canoes available. The Kevlar model is particularly nice but a bit pricey, as are most kevlar boats.

You might consider trying to rent different models to try them out. Places like REI and other boat specialty shops frequently have demo boats available.

Being here in Colorado I really miss having nice rivers and lakes to paddle on and have to content myself doing laps on the little reservoirs around here.

Make sure to get properly sized paddles and good instructions on various paddling techniques, J-stroke, back paddling, draw stroke, bracing etc. A few minutes of instruction can make your time on the water a lot more fun and less tiring.

Good luck

http://www.madrivercanoe.com/product_subcategory/index/products/versatile/explorer_series

kerry

Expedition Leader
Being here in Colorado I really miss having nice rivers and lakes to paddle on and have to content myself doing laps on the little reservoirs around here.

There's some absolutely incredible canoeing in Colorado. I'd say that the Colorado River thru Horsethief and Ruby canyons to be one of the best Class II overnight river trips in the country. Hook up with the Rocky Mountain Canoe Club or Poudre Paddlers.

njsjeep

Observer
Kerry,
Good idea. What I should have said was being here in the front range area there aren't any good rivers or lakes close by. I've been spoiled living in places where good water is just minutes away. I've done some trips on the Green River that went through some beautiful contry.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Where in Colorado are you? The South Platte along the front range has some nice canoeing when it's up. Colorado Paddler's Forum is another good resource but they have a 'fast and long' mentality there that doesn't fit well with my style.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Don't know what your budget is, but there are a lot of good used canoes out there. See what's on your local craigslist and post up here for others to comment on its appropriateness and quality. For instance, there's an aluminum Grumman Eagle for sale on the Denver craigslist right now for $200. While I'm not a big fan of aluminum canoes, the Grumman Eagle was a better design than the standard Grumman and $200 is pretty cheap to get out on the water. Plus aluminum canoes can stand a lot of abuse. I have a friend who used to throw some sand in the bottom of his aluminum canoe and build a campfire to cook his lunch while floating down a river. Probably not advisable in a plastic boat.
One of my favorite canoes is an old fiberglass Mohawk Jensen WWIII that I bought from a newspaper ad for $50 twenty five years ago. I've gotten tons of enjoyment and hundreds of paddling miles out of it and it's got at least another 25yrs left in it.

Floated lots of miles down the Platte River and various lakes in my 18' Grumman Lightweight canoe back in the day. Easy to handle on/off the vehicle and tough. Not the best for heat of summer canoeing though ;-). But unbeatable for $200!

My folks also had a beautiful Old Town wood and canvas canoe that sure was gorgeous; although heavy and not the best for spring run-off river running ;-).

skysix

Adventurer
Old Town - darn near indestructible. Brand most often seen on wilderness rivers in the Canadian Arctic

cruisertoy

Explorer
I've got two of the aluminum Grumens. One is a giant thick skinned beast that they usually have up at scout camps. Absolutely indestructable. The other is probably one of the "newer" designs as it is much lighter, but less stable from what I have experienced. I am actually in need of another canoe for my scout troop. Apparently they borrowed several canoes including mine last summer and one of the fiberglass ones cut loose from the trailer and ended up as splinters on the side of the road. The troop needs to replace it. It would almost be worth a drive out to denver to pick up a $200 aluminum canoe. Anyone want to deliver it to Salt Lake?

I have actually damaged a different aluminum canoe years ago. We capsized it while in some rapids and it somehow got wrapped half way around a huge boulder in the river. It was everything we could do to get it off the rock. 1/4 mile down stream we finally got it to the side (the wrong side) and pounded it flat again. We had to make it through 3/4 miles of additional rapids before we could cross the river and get to where we could hike out to a road. Later that year we reshaped it and rivited in the keel again. Used it for 5 more years before giving it to a scout troop. My preference is aluminum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal