Registering a Military Trailer? How Do?

West Coast Mags

Adventurer
Just bought an M105 trailer built in 1984. Unfortunatly no paperwork other than a bill of sale. How do I go about registering it? I'm in AZ, and the seller mentioned something about needing to get a bonded title that is like a $100 fee, does this sound right to anyone?

I couldn't pass it up because the price was right, it's been rewired, it has a new conventional 8 lug axle swapped in, and the inside has been rhino-lined. My biggest draw as being able to run the same tires and wheels as my suburban so the spares I carry will work with both the truck and the trailer.

Any sugguestions?

just go in to the dmv with a picture of the vin tag and say you lost the title. the will give you registration and then you wait 3 years and they send you a title. you can use the trailer as much as you want during the 3 years and if you want to sell it you can and the 3 years still stays the same. just did it with my military trailer

IH8RDS

Explorer
I regestered mine as a home built. There was no markings on it and no title. I had to get it wired up and inspected by the police and it was done. They gave me a new vin number plate and I riveted it on where they told me to.

scottg

Observer
just call up the local dmv and ask

In ohio, if its under a certain weight, all you have to do is get it weigh at a certified scales and bring in the weight slip.

West Coast Mags

Adventurer
LX450 that sounds like the route I would probably go, I'd hate to have to pry off the Vin plates as I think they add character. Anyone else try the lost title bit and have the same results of having to wait three years? I don't have any plans to sell it in the future, only to built it to fit my needs.

Anyone else have similar experiences? The advice is greatly appreciated.

CodyLX450

Adventurer
Bonded title might only be about $75 fee...

If there is no VIN stamp or official paperwork besides a handwritten bill of sale - you might just be able to register it as a homebuilt trailer...

In that case you just have to bring it in for an inspection, they verify it has lights and just ask for the weight to see if it needs trailer brakes (above 2500lbs, IIRC)...

kai38

Explorer
CodyLX450 said:
Bonded title might only be about $75 fee...

If there is no VIN stamp or official paperwork besides a handwritten bill of sale - you might just be able to register it as a homebuilt trailer...

In that case you just have to bring it in for an inspection, they verify it has lights and just ask for the weight to see if it needs trailer brakes (above 2500lbs, IIRC)...

In NM all I had to do was get it weighed empty and tell them it was a home built trailer built from scrape, items I already had, so I didn't need to show receipts for the axle etc. They gave me an aluminum sticker with their assigned VIN #, which I stamped into the frame in a few spots. Your state might be harder to register the trailer though.

West Coast Mags

Adventurer
Went to the DMV today, told them I built it from scrap parts. They measured the dimensions and asked what I thought I had into it ($500 he he) and that was that. Walked out with a title, vin tag, plate and a permanent sticker for $137.00. Now I'm legit.

FYI, if you state the value of your homebuilt as being over $1000, in AZ you have to show receipts for atleast half of the cost.

gary in ohio

Explorer
scottg said:
just call up the local dmv and ask

In ohio, if its under a certain weight, all you have to do is get it weigh at a certified scales and bring in the weight slip.

I am in ohio also and never had a title for smaller trailers, Just a reciept and a weight slip.

Kobis

Picked my M416 from Govt Liquidation and went to DMV to registure it today. They wanted a SF97 form. Called Govt Liq about it and they said I had to send them a request that I could get off line. Sounded easy enough. Once I found it on line I found it cost an additional $60.00. OK, no big deal cause I want to get this thing on the road. Call the lady back to see how fast I can get it back. She tells me it is usually a 30 day wait, but they are back logged due to high volume and it will me much longer than that. After some verbal abuse I opt to go the Home Built route. Got a VIN Kit from DMV for $5.00 and put that on. Had a Officer of the Law take a look at it to see that the VIN was in the proper place and he signed the form and I was off to the DMV. Payed my fee's and $115.00 later I had her titled and registured with perminate plates. Thanks to the site for some good advise or I would still be sitting here with a red ********.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicotoup