Report: Diesel Wrangler On It's Way

Jorsn

Adventurer
http://www.egmcartech.com/2013/02/1...ext-target-after-grand-cherokee-diesel-in-us/

TheDetroitFreePress reports that Jeep of North America has given the green light for a diesel engine for the Wrangler. This comes after the Grand Cherokee saw its first diesel introduction ever for the US at this year’s Detroit Auto Show.

According to the report, Jeep’s head honcho Mike Manley told TheDetroitFreePress that demand for a Wrangler diesel is high: “Wrangler customers really want a diesel. It’s a target vehicle for a diesel once we see the reaction to the Grand Cherokee [diesel].”

No specifics were shared, however, some have speculated that the Wrangler could get a modified version of the European 2.8L inline-four good for 197hp and 339 lb-ft of torque.

D

Deleted member 48574

Hmm...it seems that Mike Manley is waiting for the reaction to the GCD. Perhaps I read it wrong, or perhaps they DID wait and are already impressed with the response. Either way this is GREAT news!

Can't wait to see some details on release date and MSRP!

Thanks for sharing, Jorsn!

Regards
Craig

X-plorenow

Adventurer
This has been my concern, awaiting reaction to the GC. If it doesn't sell we'll it might kill it for the wrangler. I am still not sure of the general publics interest in diesel outside of large trucks and Overlander's. fingers crossed

goin camping

Explorer
This has been my concern, awaiting reaction to the GC. If it doesn't sell we'll it might kill it for the wrangler. I am still not sure of the general publics interest in diesel outside of large trucks and Overlander's. fingers crossed

I think the general public will care about the better MPG.

jpvm

Explorer
We have them here in Chile since many years, the Wrangler CRD (Common rail diesel) in 2 doors or Unlimited (not Rubicon nor Sahara). Its , because the better MPG, very sought after in the market , but still the fuel mileage is around 17 MPG city ... but here in Chile diesel cost is 20% lower than 93 oct fuel and it still good for your pockets

Septu

Explorer
Oh oh... does this mean I have to trade in my new 2012~??!? Bc if they come out with a diesel that's exactly what's happening!

It is a novelty market and they know it, cost per mile to drive a diesel vs my 2012 pentastar will be equal or higher. Priced diesel in Merica lately?

dusmmdb

i wonder how many would consider selling their gas jeep.... mine, like many others, has as much money invested as the jeep costs, basically doubling our expenditure...... to start over with a diesel that inevitably will be 40+ right out the gate............

who am I kidding............... i would.

i never appreciated the diesel motor until I got a new F250 for work. The torque in a diesel is simply scary compared to a gas motor.

4x4BNB

Adventurer
My daily driver is an 03 VW TDI Golf. I love the 50 mpg so much that we are in the process of putting one in my 87 Syncro Westy. Not to mention the torque....I believe Americans will come to realize that their "hybrid" cars will leave a bigger carbon footprint when it's time to dispose of their HUGE batteries. I think VW took the right route....
My wife and I will definitely get a wrangler in diesel if and when they sell in the US....she's already asked that we put a VW TDI in a Wrangler for her. :)

4xdog

Explorer
I'm always happy to read about you guys with good experiences with recent Jeeps and wish I'd been one.

I had a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD for about five weeks in the summer of 2007. Absolutely the worst car I've ever owned, with the worst dealer support. And I say this a Jeep owner for 20+ years. The Mercedes Benz 3.0 CRD engine was fine if unremarkable, giving economy of about 22 mpg for the 1500 or so miles I owned it (which is almost certainly not enough to pay the up front diesel penalty).

There were a least a dozen things wrong with my GC on delivery. And after windows that wouldn't go up and down, speakers that didn't work, suspension that groaned over every bump, roof racks that were falling off (and more) and a dealer that was unable to recognize, fix or follow up on *any* of the first seven initial problems, I decided this was not going to be a happy relationship. I sold the car at a loss -- the selling dealer wouldn't even make an offer on it -- and moved to a 2008 Lexus RX350. Which in 5+ years of ownership hasn't had to go back to the dealer once. Between the Lexus and my 2001 Tacoma DC 4WD, I'm set for another twenty years I figure.

I still have the 1988 XJ, and wish I could buy the same car new. And maybe Jeep have made progress since then with quality -- certainly Toledo and the Wranglers have a LOT better reputation than Detroit/Jefferson North and the GC. Maybe someday I can become as big a fan of new Jeeps as I am of old ones... I'd look at a CRD Wrangler. But it would take a LOT for me to go back.

Having driven tens of thousands of km in diesels of all shapes and colors elsewhere in the world, I'm quite fond of small diesels. But, man, I was not a fan of the one I had!

No doubt that the mileage will be better but as it stands I get 23 highway 19 city in my 2012 jku, It would be an interesting cost benefit analysis for sure but I doubt the jk will get 40mpg maybe I will stand corrected

Septu

Explorer
No doubt that the mileage will be better but as it stands I get 23 highway 19 city in my 2012 jku, It would be an interesting cost benefit analysis for sure but I doubt the jk will get 40mpg maybe I will stand corrected

Yeah, I don't get close to that. Am 15 or so city, and have hit 20 once on the highway (babying the **** out of it - but doing highway speeds). And this was in a completely stock JKU. I know I have 4.10 gears so I'm geared a little low for decent mileage, and it'll only get worse once I to go 35s. I still haven't done much highway driving since adding the new bumper and winch, so no clue how that'll affect it.

I'm not looking for 40 (although wouldn't that be nice?). I'd be happy if my modded JKU could get 25+ highway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk

Members online