Richmond VA: 1973 Alaskan fiberglass pop up truck camper $SOLD

eblau

Adventurer
I am probably going to regret this (again) but I have not used my fiberglass Alaskan pop up camper in over a year and can't stand seeing it sit when someone else could be enjoying it. If you're a truck camper junky you know exactly what this is, if you don't let me fill you in. Alaskan made these for a very short period of time. They are strong, lightweight and setup is an absolute breeze as the top raises and lowers hydraulically just like their wooden counterparts. The interiors were finished out similar to a casita, burro or scamp where the cabinets are all mounded fiberglass with wooden doors. This particular unit made its way to the east coast sometime in the late 70s and I bought it from a guy who was going to cut and modify it to fit his later model ford (more on that later) but thankfully did not so essentially it has had only one previous owner since new. These campers are made for the wider tailgate openings of older trucks, the opening must be 64" wide or wider at the most narrow point of your pickup. Older Rams, I believe 2001 and older, Fords 97 and older and square body chevys and older should all work fine. Obviously any flatbed would also work. As these units are not heavy, less than 1000 lbs they could be put on most any midsize and larger truck as long as the tailgate opening would permit doing so. You could also make a super lightweight and aerodynamic travel trailer by
simply bolting this to a small 4x8 cargo trailer. I have added a small window AC unit where the ancient and non functioning propane fridge once was, replaced the flooring material, refinished the cabinet doors and built a dinette table. The AC power works great when plugged into shore power or a generator as well as the onboard power converter for the 12v sconce lights. There are three original roll up window shades included. The door shade has gone missing at some point.

I can answer any questions one may have by phone just PM me.

There are two jacks included with the sale that I have modified to clear dually fenders. The utility trailer I store it on can be included also for a reasonable offer. I have a clear title in my name for that as well.

E23A6268-8423-4844-900F-3F3B2D483DEF.jpeg
2AEA682C-F7D1-40DF-AA51-2D8BA566FF8B.jpeg
0FD88C31-5CB7-4A0E-AC0A-BF4A7DDAFBD0.jpeg
9FCA8EA6-56FE-4881-B72A-8EEB1241D0DF.jpeg
479492F5-306A-42C9-BA73-D7B290B78688.jpeg
8B1F2B26-F359-4CD6-B4C7-5ECEBB577078.jpeg

Last edited:

eblau

Adventurer
Just pressure washed this a couple weekends ago, unit is water tight, no leaks.

DF4C03A8-9F7A-45AD-B840-5D7F328DB1F7.jpeg

Last edited:

eblau

Adventurer
Just to give someone an idea of how this could be repurposed-

Since the footprint is 4'x8' and it weighs about 1000 lbs it could be dropped right onto a harbor freight or northern tool 4x8 utility trailer (approx $500) with a piece of marine grade plywood in between and easily towed behind a small car or SUV. The camper itself is very aerodynamic and would ride in the slipstream of even a small car so as to not sacrifice MPG. You could even raise the suspension of said trailer and use larger AT tires to give it some ground clearance for the more offroad minded traveler. Just an idea I've had kicking around in my head since I bought it but two humans and three dogs simply will not fit in this!!

eblau

Adventurer
Bump!

There's been a lot of tire kickers, dreamers and picture collectors but no takers yet. Please if you do not have the slightest intention of even calling me/ texting me after sending a lengthy PM asking for details just save us both some time and don't bother!

eblau

Adventurer
Weekly bump! Super cool unit ready for another 50 years of exploration! Price is negotiable too don't be shy!

SCD

Great survivor! (Thank you for rescuing it) This compares favorably (or better) to any a roof top tent, GFC or similar pop top and even a 4 wheel camper, and is WAY COOLER?!! The truck bed limitations may be what is holding folks back…. everyone seems to have “new” $60K trucks these days!! What is the interior height both retracted (down) and expanded (raised)? Also, how large are the h20 tanks (fresh & holding)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat