Ride a mountain bike in the snow!

teotwaki

Excelsior!
http://www.ktrakcycle.com/
ktrak_bike_size_10.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Hopefully the kit includes an insert to stick between the front brake caliper's pads. You just know that habit will kick in and that brake lever will be squeezed (with no effect) inadvertently! :bike_rider:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Nice!!! You even have a front fender. I've used fenders a lot on my Specialized Enduro and always get made fun of. Guess it is not very "manly" to keep mud and rocks from being flung up (or snow in your case) :bike_rider: into my face

1x1_Speed_Craig

Nice!!! You even have a front fender. I've used fenders a lot on my Specialized Enduro and always get made fun of. Guess it is not very "manly" to keep mud and rocks from being flung up (or snow in your case) :bike_rider: into my face

I'm on your other left (looking at the photo). :sombrero: I don't have it on there, but I do have front/rear fenders for nasty stuff. Snow isn't bad - I mostly use them if it's wet/muddy. I'm OK with the "sissy factor" in using fenders, though.

Craig

motrhead

There are a bunch of us out there that ride in the snow with regular mountain bikes. Mind you we haven't had any snow here this year (okay, 4 inches for about a week...) so I haven't ridden in any this year:). I lived at much higher elevation for many years, and rode all winter every winter (-35C, and up to about 10 inches of snow were my personal comfort limits). There is a mailing list for "Icebikers" (mostly commuters), but there are a few hardcore trail riders (even in Alaska). Check out http://icebike.org/ . There is a link to the mailing list from there.
I think the general consensus is that these track conversions are too hard to pedal to travel any distance on them. There are wide rims and tires available for the snow (search for Snow Cat rims-double normal width) that work much better.They were developed to race in the Iditasport 160mile winter bicycle race.
For my riding (I only ride for fun) I prefer to use a wide/soft mud tire, lower the pressure a bit and stick to packed trails. Snowmobile tracks are great to ride on.
Nice to see some other crazies on here!
Dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3