RockAuto Trouble? Need opinions!

Mitch502

Explorer
I recently bought 2 wheel bearings (hubs) for the ZJ. I was looking at Timkin, to avoid issue. They had their typical "Privet Label Packaged" listed under Timken for almost $30 less per side. I jumped on 2 of them, of course.

When I got them, they are "National Bearing" which has no affiliation with Timkin from what I can tell. They say parts can even be stamped with another brand ON the part itself, and still be a Timkin part. I've ordered privet label multiple times, and always got a blank box with a name brand part in it. But this is different. I just don't want to be changing out wheel bearings constantly.

Would you trust it? Or eat the $16 in return shipping and buy ones for about $60 more that say Timkin on the box/part?

Thanks.
Mitch

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If it doesn't say Timken then it's someone's word. If Rock Auto says it's Timken then perhaps it is but I doubt they'd (Timken) stand behind it. I've had lots of re-boxed parts, for example if you buy bearings from a Toyota dealer they say Koyo and a have a Koyo number on them. No one is trying to hide anything. I figure if Timken wanted those to be Timken then they would have etched their name and data on it.

Also realize that Timken may have several lines and National might be one of them but sourced from a completely different place, India, China, etc. I know National Seals used to be a good brand but I don't know if National Bearings are in any way related or who makes what.

Last edited:

Mitch502

Explorer
I'd call their customer service and see what they have to say about your situation.

They have kinda gotten defensive with me and told me basically I got what I ordered, and are refusing to accept that they in any way had it falsely advertised. They told me they would verify with Timkin, and ended up emailing me and just saying it is Timkin, but would not refer me to who they spoke to as I requested.

To me, a well known company like Timkin is going to put their name on stuff...

Mitch502

Explorer
If it doesn't say Timken then it's someone's word. If Rock Auto says it's Timken then perhaps it is but I doubt they'd (Timken) stand behind it. I've had lots of re-boxed parts, for example if you buy bearings from a Toyota dealer they say Koyo and a have a Koyo number on them. No one is trying to hide anything. I figure if Timken wanted those to be Timken then they would have etched their name and data on it.

Also realize that Timken may have several lines and National might be one of them but sourced from a completely different place, India, China, etc. I know National Seals used to be a good brand but I don't know if National Bearings are in any way related or who makes what.

If it were a Timkin brand, I don't think they would have another website for that bearing company?

Box/part says made in China. Do you guys think this part will hold up? Last house brand unit bearings I used lasted right at 18 months/~6000 miles. Just outside of their warranty...I'm trying to avoid having to replace them in a year again...

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I would just run them to failure and, if there is an issue, learn from the failure and put your money in a better place next time. As long as the seals are good, they are likely to run a good long while.

Let's face it, chances are high that you chose Rock Auto to save $$ in the first place. Sometimes the cost of not holding something in your hand at a parts counter is not getting precisely what you expect.

Whether or not your expectation is realistic is a discussion that is separate from what to do. I have no opinion on that.

Mitch502

Explorer
I would just run them to failure and, if there is an issue, learn from the failure and put your money in a better place next time. As long as the seals are good, they are likely to run a good long while.

Let's face it, chances are high that you chose Rock Auto to save $$ in the first place. Sometimes the cost of not holding something in your hand at a parts counter is not getting precisely what you expect.

Whether or not your expectation is realistic is a discussion that is separate from what to do. I have no opinion on that.

That's the thing...I've learned from my mistake with the last ones I put on. that's why I went with Timkin, so Timkin wanna be's? I can't tell.

I went with RockAuto for more than one reason. I went there to price them as I was looking around everywhere, and saw they had the privet label for substantially less. I had good experiences in the past when ordered privet label for less important parts. My issue is RockAuto claiming they are true Timkin quality, when I don't see anything that indicates that...I am tempted to run them, but had to spend the $$ and time when I could eat the $15 and then buy true Timkin.

I was wanting to know if anyone has experience with this brand or knew if Timkin was their true manufacturer.

Also, if anyone is unaware, I found out after the fact that JEGS/Summit will take a RockAuto price and add RA shipping costs, and then take a dollar off...this is the route I will be going after the issues with RA I've had trying to get information from them about this part.

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
It seems like you are really wanting someone to tell you to send them back...so send them back and buy Timkens. Me? I'd use them.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

It's kind of confusing. The National Seal & Bearings you're evaluating is probably the one owned by Federal-Mogul. So AFAIK it's not the same umbrella as Timken but not an unknown. If it was me I'd prefer Timken, SKF or Koyo but that's only because those are what I've used. National is probably fine, too. I'm fairly indifferent regarding Chinese-made, if it's well made then fine. I don't know that country of origin necessarily says anything certain anymore. If I was generalizing I'd go with US-made or Japanese-made but that's just a knee-jerk reaction.

DaveInDenver

How did you not get exactly what you ordered?
He did get what he ordered, a private label bearing that was said to be "equivalent" to Timken. He's asking if National is "equivalent" to Timken. I suspect Rock Auto is saying you got a bearing and we didn't claim it was actually one brand or the other, but that sometimes you get Timken, sometimes not. That's the risk you run buying a private label IMHO. It depends on why the reseller is not just selling the manufacturer's actual product. Sometimes that's because they using a different specification, which might be to change performance parameters but usually it's to cut costs or they get production overruns for cheap. I bet if you buy this exact Rock Auto part number every 2 years you do in fact get Timken sometimes.

Mitch502

Explorer
He did get what he ordered, a private label bearing that was said to be "equivalent" to Timken. He's asking if National is "equivalent" to Timken. I suspect Rock Auto is saying you got a bearing and we didn't claim it was actually one brand or the other, but that sometimes you get Timken, sometimes not. That's the risk you run buying a private label IMHO. It depends on why the reseller is not just selling the manufacturer's actual product. Sometimes that's because they using a different specification, which might be to change performance parameters but usually it's to cut costs or they get production overruns for cheap. I bet if you buy this exact Rock Auto part number every 2 years you do in fact get Timken sometimes.

Kind of. The part is supposed to be made by Timkin, but branded in either another brand's box/stamps or a blank box. "Equivalent" doesn't describe it well, in my opinion.

It sounds like to me this is not a Timkin manufactured part. I will be returning and buying Timkin brand.

timgr

Observer
National is a good brand. However, bearing manufacturers have more than one quality level in their lines, so unless you know how the specific item fits into their offerings, you are pretty much at the mercy of the seller. If RockAuto represented it as a Timken bearing, and you expected to get a Timken branded part, they should take it back. (A good reason to buy parts from Amazon, if you can). I would be happy with a National part, however.

titang9

Well, I ordered two Timken bearings and when the item arrived, the box was Timken; however, the bearings didn't have anything printed on, NO name, NO number, NOTHING.
RoackAuto told me Timken sells bearings from other manufacturers, but that they stand behind with the Timken warranty and quality?????????????

If it is not FRAUD, explain me please, how are you going to claim warranty on a bearing that has NOTHING stamped on?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven