Roost Tents???

Explore

Observer
happened to come across this tent in a magazine out here in Afghanistan, curious to see if anyone has had an experence with this one?
has anyone seen it in person?

http://www.roostents.com

Looking to get the JK Habitat, but always on the lookout for new ideas...

Shink

Semper Fi

2008 AEV JKU

mike r

Adventurer
Roost Tents seem to be more than just a copy, the tent is removable so the box can be used as a normal storage roof box. It is also made in america

whyroost_f5_430x300.jpg

kilimats

Observer
i might consider upgrading from my autohome magginiolla if this turn out to be a good buy, any review ? pic ? price ?

EDIT: Didnt see the STORE link on the site, it's $3000, cheaper than autohome but still on the high imo, still curious about it :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

OpenAir

ShesInsync
Hello!

I came across your posting and have some pictures of the Roost Tent because of my own interests. It is a very sweet product. A super tough marine fiberglass is used to manufacture the shell. All made in America which is really cool! Comparably the Roost tent is a better use of money because of it's versatility. I will have one soon and will use it for both camping and skiing.

2012-06-03-12.22.jpg2012-06-03-12.1.jpg2012-06-03-12.22.29.jpg2012-06-03-12.22.3.jpg

Last edited:

huskyfargo

Adventurer
I saw one in person at a Rover rally several weeks ago. Yes, it was a pretty sweet looking set-up, but it has a design flaw that needs to be fixed. The fabric is attached to the roof of the box by double-sided stick-on Velcro strips. When the box got hot in the sun, the Velcro strips came unstuck from the box. It wasn't long before the fabric was completely detached.

OpenAir

ShesInsync
Yeah that is what I heard too, apparently the owner has made the changes already and is using more and stronger snaps to keep the tent fabric up and secure while the velcro is there for added connection only, not to support it. Its better then making it one piece, this way I can still remove it when I want to.

chuppie

Observer
Bringing this thread back from the dead....
So does anyone have any more information or opinions on Roost? I contacted Roost and received a nice reply about how they have resolved all the above problems. I have not been able to find any more opinions dated after 2012. This costs as much as AutoHome and the shipping in $395 from Ga to Va which is aprx the same as AutoHome shipping theirs from Nevada to Va.
For those who have the Columbus or Roost How does it do in high wind? From what I am reading, the only highly rated wind capable RTT is Maggiolina. I imagine the resale value of AutoHome will be much better in a few years...
Too many decisions...
Thanks
Rick

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
I have had the Columbus for about 8 or 10 months. now.....
It does well on windy conditions... better than my 4 season bibbler tent (yeah its old)
It def does better than any of the clam style tents...

chuppie

Observer
Thanks Manu
I find it odd that Roost claims to be selling a lot of them but virtually nothing it being written about them, good or bad. Apparently AutoHome is sold out of everything until July.

Regards

Grabow

Adventurer
We just dropped our U.S. made RTT (Top Bunk from Colorado CamperVan) for a James Baroud of the same style. I can tell you, the James Baroud is way better quality than what we had. It's waterproof, wind rated for 75 mph winds, has an internal fan, spare tire storage on the roof, and is solid enough to stand on top of. We couldn't be happier. This has to be the highest quality RTT made.

concretejungle

Adventurer
We just dropped our U.S. made RTT (Top Bunk from Colorado CamperVan) for a James Baroud of the same style. I can tell you, the James Baroud is way better quality than what we had. It's waterproof, wind rated for 75 mph winds, has an internal fan, spare tire storage on the roof, and is solid enough to stand on top of. We couldn't be happier. This has to be the highest quality RTT made.

Good to hear. I just picked up one of the James Baroud also and i'm completely satisfied with it. It is super high quality and i've slept many nights in it VERY comfortably. In fact i slept 14 nights in a row on a trip out west just a few weeks ago and slept in wind, snow, sleet, rain and I was very impressed.

I have the space evo model and the only complaint that i have is it needs to be about 4 inches longer.

surferdude78

Observer
I know this seems to be a dead topic but I'm more curious than anything after recently visiting Roost's website. Are Roost & CVT one & the same? Reason I bring this up is that I thought they were based out of Atlanta, GA at least the last time I visited their site but now see they share the same exact address and phone number as Cascadia's new location in Bend, OR. CVT dropped their Chinese hard shell tents some time ago so it makes sense but why the mystery?

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Good to hear. I just picked up one of the James Baroud also and i'm completely satisfied with it. It is super high quality and i've slept many nights in it VERY comfortably. In fact i slept 14 nights in a row on a trip out west just a few weeks ago and slept in wind, snow, sleet, rain and I was very impressed.

I have the space evo model and the only complaint that i have is it needs to be about 4 inches longer.

Feel free to contact us with any feedback good or bad, we are always trying to better suit our products for our customers! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner