RTT Gone Crazy!!!

dwdart

First I will say hello to all from South Texas.

I have been looking and wanting a quality RTT for some time now. Just can't make the decision on which one.
I have searched the web and looked at way to many RTT's. That's how I found The Portal!!! At least something positive has come of this whole RTT search.

I have searched here and found many different posts on RTT's.. The issue I have is most but not all are several years old.
I would think something new has happened in the RTT world over the last few years. I know it has in most other products today.

I have looked at the Tepui tents and they seem to be nice but I do not like the ladder system they offer. They all look to come with a multi telescopic step ladder. They just look like to much trouble. I do like the 8+ foot length though.

I have looked over the ARB Series III Simpson tent and it also seems to be a nice tent. The web site is very limited to information on the actual tent material though. I called ARB and the young man that answered my call had no idea of the specs of the Series III tent. He tells me it's constructed of a high quality poly cotton fabric. Really??? That's what the website said. Nice job knowing your product. He really didn't know the product and didn't give me the impression he wanted to find out about it either. I asked him if that was all he had and he said YES and we hung up. Not how I wanted that to go for sure.

I have a friend that owns the Mombasa Overland Plus and doesn't really have any issues with it but it seems to be on back order. I was also told that parts if needed would be difficult to get. Not sure how true that is. I have read a few things about the Mombasa tents I wasn't truly happy with but I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I have also looked at many other sites and many types of RTT's but none have a great amount of quality information and pricing. Seems a little strange to me in this day and age of the internet. More and more of us use the internet to find the different options available to us and to research what we think we might want.

Any way, I guess it comes to this?
I am looking to purchase a quality RTT but I am not looking to spent $3k on it. I have seen where some have spent that kind of $$$ and still have issues that I would think you would have with a tent of that price range.
I am not a fan of the pop-up hard cover tents. The look just does not appeal to me.
I would like the tent to have the option of having the fitting room and the covered entry. I like that idea.

If you all would humor me and give me some real time first hand information, I would greatly appreciate it. I have just about driven myself crazy looking at all these different RTT's.

Thanks in advance!

stingray1300

Explorer
6 weeks ago I was in the same boat you're in now. I researched and researched... CVT, Eezi Awn, ARB, and a few from OZ and S.A. The sum total of specs, cost and customer reviews led me to buy a Tepui. It's on my truck right now.

Ya spends yur money and ya takes yur chances...

I scored, and am very happy. Hope you will be too - with whatever you get.

Box Rocket

The telescope ladders get sketch pretty quickly once sand gets onto the scene

Not sure what you mean. I've never had any issues with the telescoping ladders on my Tepui tents with lots of time in the sand.
To the OP, take a look at the Tepui tents. I'm sure there is one there that you'll like, particularly the Ruggedized models which are on par with the ultra expensive RTTs but at a much more reasonable price. If you decide you want a Tepui, let me know. I sell them and can make you a great deal.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
Not sure what you mean. I've never had any issues with the telescoping ladders on my Tepui tents with lots of time in the sand.
To the OP, take a look at the Tepui tents. I'm sure there is one there that you'll like, particularly the Ruggedized models which are on par with the ultra expensive RTTs but at a much more reasonable price. If you decide you want a Tepui, let me know. I sell them and can make you a great deal.

Just sayin'

Dusty Grin

Observer
I have had the CVT telescoping ladders bind up from sand and dirt. It's frustrating but a good washing as regular maintenance helps. I still prefer the telescoping ones as they are so compact and easy on the feet.

Maybe the Tepui ladders are a bit different. Either way I still like them.

dwdart

Box Rocket,

How does each section lock on this ladder?
I like the overall length of the ladder on the Tepui tents. It would keep me from needing a extension.
I also like that Tepui shows their tent in some high wins. When a storm rolls in on the island it can get a bit nasty. High winds and heavy rain.

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
The telescope ladders get sketch pretty quickly once sand gets onto the scene

Same experience here with my Xtend & Climb...amazing where 40+ mph winds will blow Utah/Nevada/California desert grit: Not!

Last edited:

dwdart

The telescopic ladder sounds like it could be a problem.

How about info on any of your RTT's?
The good, the bad and the ugly.

I am still looking around at different RTT's and I noticed that almost every CVT is out of stock.
I have read some good things about CVT but out of stock on every model but 2. Is this company out of business?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger. I want a RTT soon! The beach is calling.

Box Rocket

Box Rocket,

How does each section lock on this ladder?
I like the overall length of the ladder on the Tepui tents. It would keep me from needing a extension.
I also like that Tepui shows their tent in some high wins. When a storm rolls in on the island it can get a bit nasty. High winds and heavy rain.

Here's the best photo I have at the moment of the telescoping ladder for the Ruggedized XL on my trailer. If you look closely across the bottom of each step is a orange release tab. Each section between rungs extends out and locks in place so you can set the height wherever is best for your campsite. To release the ladder, you press the tabs under each rung to collapse that section. In 3 years of LOTS of use I've never had an issue with these ladders and they are very stable.

The telescopic ladder sounds like it could be a problem.

How about info on any of your RTT's?
The good, the bad and the ugly.

I am still looking around at different RTT's and I noticed that almost every CVT is out of stock.
I have read some good things about CVT but out of stock on every model but 2. Is this company out of business?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger. I want a RTT soon! The beach is calling.

I've done a fair amount of camping in sand and I've never had a problem with the ladder in sand. I can't speak to anything but my own experience. Either way if your ladder gets tight when trying to collapse it, nothing a little silicone spray won't fix. :)

For sake of comparison here's my setup with a regular Kukenam on my truck and a Kukenam XL on my trailer so you can see the difference in size.

surferdude78

Observer
We're on the Florida Gulf Coast & have camped with our new Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized several times on the beach & scrub where its nothing but sand & have had absolutely no problems with our ladder. First of all, there's not enough tolerance for sand to get between the columns even if you removed the ladder & laid it flat on the beach - fine grit perhaps, but not sand. Simply keep it clean with a little routine maintenance like the above mentioned silicone spray & you should have no worries.

dwdart

The XL is huge looking compared to the regular Kukenam tent. I'm sure I would like the XL but I'm not sure I would like taking it off and on the rack when needed. lol
I see the locks on the ladder now. Good deal.

Adam, that is a super nice set up.
I have wanted a trailer set up but pulling it down our beach would sometimes be a real problem. There is a 15 mile section that gets really bad at times. Deep power and ruts in the summer time.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

I'm getting close on a RTT. I'm down to 2 deals.

Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized or the ARB series III Simpson. A Foxwing awning is going to be part of the package as well.

A few more details and I'm pulling the trigger.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
We're on the Florida Gulf Coast & have camped with our new Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized several times on the beach & scrub where its nothing but sand & have had absolutely no problems with our ladder. First of all, there's not enough tolerance for sand to get between the columns even if you removed the ladder & laid it flat on the beach - fine grit perhaps, but not sand. Simply keep it clean with a little routine maintenance like the above mentioned silicone spray & you should have no worries.

Have you been to a desert?

dwdart

I fell better about the telescopic ladder on the Teui RTT now. I found a post about some issues with the ladder but the OP said that Tepui replaced the ladder at no charge.
I am very good at maintaining my gear because I want it to last. I believe it will be fine.

Looking forward to owning a RTT. It's going to make beach life even nicer than it already is!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal