Ryan's 07 Duramax LBZ build

RyanPartridge

Back in late 2006 I purchased this Chevy 2500HD "Classic" figuring it was set to be the last of a great breed of diesels. It's the only vehicle I've ever purchased new, and probably ever will. Today I'm approaching 246k miles and she's been a sweetheart the whole way. Towing our travel trailer, a dump trailer, boats, countless old cars, you name it.
Last year it pulled everything we own in multiple trips when we moved, including a 57 Chevy pickup, 67 VW bug, and 76 Jeep CJ-7...across the desert and up a mountain.
I've done all the maintenance/fluid changes/filter changes meticulously. Fuel additives at every fill must work since I'm still on the original injectors.
The truck has always been bone stock its whole life except for a deeper pan on the Allison Trans and Bilstein shocks.
Only issues have been a few glow plug replacements, a master cylinder, a leaky trans cooler hose and recently a leaky PS hose.

After we recently moved, we decided to do some mods to make the truck a little more back country capable and prepare it for a future hardside camper.

Truck in its stock form...still getting us to some quiet places...

IMG_5892.jpg
IMG_5946.jpg

Recent upgrades have been Moog XD pitman/idler arms, Bilstein steering damper and Kryptonite toe rods.
Unbelievable the difference in meat compared to stock.

IMG_E5714.jpgIMG_5715.jpg

To be continued...

RyanPartridge

I wanted bigger tires under the rig but was really trying to avoid a lift. Trying to keep the weight low for the future camper.
After tons of measuring and deep dives on the old Duramax forums I decided to grab the cutting wheel and begin the "large fender mod".
Essentially, you zip tie the e-brake cable back so it doesn't push the finder liner towards the tire, trim the bumper and make a few cuts to the pinch weld at the rear of the fender and fold it back to add space. I hit it with a little paint and plugged the fender liner back in. Works like a charm!

IMG_6377.jpg
IMG_6371.jpg
IMG_6373.jpg
IMG_6374.jpg

This helped make the new wheels and tires possible.
I'm not big on bling and wanted some high load rated wheels...decided on Method 701HD's rated for 4,500 lbs.
Tires are Cooper AT3 XLT size 285/75R18 which measure out to 34.84" x 11.5". Not quite a 35" but close. Rated at 4,080 lbs.
With the 18 x 9 wheels having a +18mm offset and the "large fender mod", I was able to fit everything in without rubbing or issues.
Before mounting the new setup I rattle canned the hub centers flat black. The truck now rides and handles better than stock.

Yesterday I got a new ECM from Kennedy Diesel that's reprogrammed the truck for the new tire size and added economy/tow tune. The rig drives and shifts smoother than it did new. Feels like its soul got grease and a shot of caffeine!

IMG_6404.JPG

IMG_6385.jpgIMG_6387.jpgIMG_6388.jpg
IMG_6379.jpg

Next mod: A trip to CA for a 52 gallon Aero fuel tank for longer range.

Last edited:

fl0w3n

Observer
Awesome! We have similar tastes. I'm planning on the 704's with 35's and no lift on my 04

I'm reminded of my 06 ECSB with a shell on it as well, that was one of the best trucks I've ever owned.

Looks like a great start. Have you considered the weld in brace and Dmax stores idler pivot? I can strongly recommend that combo in addition to your beefy tie rods and pitman/idler arms.

I'd imagine if you're on the original steering gear box and pump, it's seen better days. Lee Power Steering out of Santa Clarita CA offers top notch rebuilding services. I've run Red Head and Lee, and the 35's put some stress on the box so my Red Head started to weep around the shaft after a year of use.

RyanPartridge

Awesome! We have similar tastes. I'm planning on the 704's with 35's and no lift on my 04

I'm reminded of my 06 ECSB with a shell on it as well, that was one of the best trucks I've ever owned.

Looks like a great start. Have you considered the weld in brace and Dmax stores idler pivot? I can strongly recommend that combo in addition to your beefy tie rods and pitman/idler arms.

I'd imagine if you're on the original steering gear box and pump, it's seen better days. Lee Power Steering out of Santa Clarita CA offers top notch rebuilding services. I've run Red Head and Lee, and the 35's put some stress on the box so my Red Head started to weep around the shaft after a year of use.

Thanks for the tips! I’ll check out that brace and Lee’s. My steering box doesn’t feel too bad, I don’t have any slop or play at all. The pump did have a leak on one of the hose fittings but I replaced that.

RyanPartridge

Just got back from a trip to CA where I managed to arrange the installation of a 52 gallon Aero Tank.
Since filling it up in San Bernardino I drove 416 miles home.
My gauge says I still have 3/4 tank full and the range says I can still travel 634 miles.
Super stoked on this upgrade!

When I got home, waiting for me was a package from Merchant Automotive with lots of maintenance goodies and upgrades. Pinion seal, pump rub fix for the transfer case, trans brace, new water pump, and new thermostats.

IMG_6467.jpg

locrwln

Expedition Leader
The tank is a game changer for sure. Looks like some fun for you with the WP RnR. Those are not easy on our trucks.

Also, since you are tackling the pinion seal, you might consider changing out the pinion yoke. You have enough mileage, you have to remove it anyway and because they are built like a harmonic balancer; they do wear out.

Jack

RyanPartridge

The tank is a game changer for sure. Looks like some fun for you with the WP RnR. Those are not easy on our trucks.

Also, since you are tackling the pinion seal, you might consider changing out the pinion yoke. You have enough mileage, you have to remove it anyway and because they are built like a harmonic balancer; they do wear out.

Jack

Yeah I'm a bit nervous about tackling the water pump. Thanks for the tip on the pinion yoke, I'll take your advice and do it.
Approaching 250k miles, these are things that need freshening up if I want to get more years of service/fun out of my rig!

RyanPartridge

I need to look into these tanks. The 26gal OEM tank is ridiculously small. Would be awesome to have 700+ mile range.

I'm sold on em. @locrwln did it years ago and his build inspired the heck out of me. There's other tank options that will ship to you but they hang lower than the frame rail. Aero's doesn't hang low but they require you have them do the install.
My wife and I just planned a weekend in Palm Springs around being in the area to have them do the tank.
They've been around since the 1960's and at some point in the 70's or 80's installed a 26 gal tank in my grandfather's Jeep CJ-7(which I now own) and it's still going strong.

RyanPartridge

Took a little cruise yesterday up to the Happy Jack/Mormon Lake/Lake Mary areas scouting for potential camp spots.
We managed to get our truck on the 511ADOT traffic cam.

9beddf9db791a2da8d846a01d3d8c5b8.jpg

2f200672a40d2c797fdabc5415dfe179.jpg

5efa4d7e74183fe984251de5c4937fcb.jpg

09c03b6cca8049f92bb0743556afbce9.jpg

05dce798d97f2568e1c03e59230bf6b0.jpg

60c7c3378543089afbb0218c4c7844a4.jpg

RyanPartridge

Love your very practical build!!

Thanks!
My plan is to keep things simple, address the weak areas and upgrade where I can.

Subscribed. LBZ dually here, second LBZ.

Right on! I love em too. I spotted one for sale in a parking lot here in town last week and found myself pulling over to it to check it out. It was in rough shape, but for a second I was thinking to myself "spare parts truck?". Hah!

Truthfully, if I ever came across one of the (LSSV) Light Service Support Vehicle Duramax's with EMP package they used for Military/Forest Service/Border Patrol...I'd be super tempted to jump on it. Always wanted one of the regular cabs or ext cabs in green or tan.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk