Sea Eagle inflatable kayak

bob91yj

Resident **************
I've got a beach camping Baja trip planned for April, Sea of Cortez side. There are lots of relatively flat water lagoons. I'm looking at getting a decent but cheap inflatable for two people. Some quick research on the 'net and I found the Sea Eagle 330, and the Sea Eagle Pro Sport in my price range $240-$350. Both claim they are rated for Class III white water rated which is probably 2 classes more than I'll evrer do (at least on purpose).

I've had an inflatable kayak in the past, rarely used it, I suspect that will be the same story with this one. Any reason not to get the Sea Eagle brand, and is there something else in this price range I should be looking at?

bob91yj

Resident **************
OK, maybe cheap was the wrong word to use. I thought posting the price range I was looking at would get the point across. Truly "cheap" would be a Big 5 style $20 boat.

Both of the boats I'm looking at are said to be rated for Class III white water, my intended use is in flat water lagoons.

Your swim lessons crack was almost humorous, but of little help, thanks anyway.

I'll check in to some reading comprehension classes for you while I'm looking in to swim lessons.:elkgrin:

constructeur

Adventurer
Bob-

A bit depressed as I'm typing this, I just flew in from B.C.S. last night...

My first advice would be to find a copy of the Baja Catch if you don't have one: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Baja-Catch-Fishing-Camping-California/dp/0929637046"]Amazon.com: The Baja Catch: A Fishing, Travel & Remote Camping Manual for Baja California (3rd Edition) (9780929637044): Neil Kelly, Gene Kira, Apples & Oranges: Books[/ame]

I've found it to be dated, but a very complete resource for anyone on a DIY baja fish trip, with permit/access info,seasons, species, and successful methods listed. It lists camping spots, which will atleast give you a good jumping off point to google search current info from as well.

Now that I think of it, if you don't have time or interest in buying the book just tell me where you're headed and I'll fill you in with whatever to your respective destination.

I stayed/fished in Cabo and a bit north of San Jose del Cabo and ran into 2 retired expats that had a Sea Eagle paddleski (similar to your 330 option) fitted with a 2hp motor for trolling and it seemed stable in flat water.

I personally think youll get on decently with a small canoish thing, Gene Kira co-author of the Baja Catch has fished the very near shore and lagoon areas with a Seda Wanderer Canoe successfully for years. The only down sides I can see are you being towed around by fish (I hope!) and possibly the hastle of fishing seated.
I'm sure you'll develop some sort of lure management to ensure you not hooking the side of the boat.

Regards,
Terry

kerry

Expedition Leader
Personally, I would stay away from Sea Eagle. I think you'd be better off buying a used better quality boat for the same price.

bob91yj

Resident **************
Bob-

A bit depressed as I'm typing this, I just flew in from B.C.S. last night...

My first advice would be to find a copy of the Baja Catch if you don't have one: Amazon.com: The Baja Catch: A Fishing, Travel & Remote Camping Manual for Baja California (3rd Edition) (9780929637044): Neil Kelly, Gene Kira, Apples & Oranges: Books

I've found it to be dated, but a very complete resource for anyone on a DIY baja fish trip, with permit/access info,seasons, species, and successful methods listed. It lists camping spots, which will atleast give you a good jumping off point to google search current info from as well.

Now that I think of it, if you don't have time or interest in buying the book just tell me where you're headed and I'll fill you in with whatever to your respective destination.

I stayed/fished in Cabo and a bit north of San Jose del Cabo and ran into 2 retired expats that had a Sea Eagle paddleski (similar to your 330 option) fitted with a 2hp motor for trolling and it seemed stable in flat water.

I personally think youll get on decently with a small canoish thing, Gene Kira co-author of the Baja Catch has fished the very near shore and lagoon areas with a Seda Wanderer Canoe successfully for years. The only down sides I can see are you being towed around by fish (I hope!) and possibly the hastle of fishing seated.
I'm sure you'll develop some sort of lure management to ensure you not hooking the side of the boat.

Regards,
Terry

Almost embarrassed to say this, but I'm not a fisherman by any stretch. I have fished a bit in the past. I learned some life lessons then too...if I want fresh fish, go to a fish market.

The sole purpose of the boat will be floating around in a lagoon, drinking cerveza's and pondering the meaning of life. Almost like a Corona commercial.

The plan? My plan is to have a good time. No schedule, not too concerned with where the itenerary takes us. Our ring leader is always a party, not so much on the itenerary stuff!

Here's a link to the general idea of what we're up to...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=957898

...bring it if you have the time!

Kerry, what are the downsides to the Sea Eagle?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Personally, I would stay away from Sea Eagle. I think you'd be better off buying a used better quality boat for the same price.

I would second that! Avon, Zodiak, Klepper for portability, Sea Eagles would be toys compared to these IMO. I'd prefer an inflatable raft, Big Daddy from Jack's Plastic Welding, they have some nice ones, depending on the waters.

constructeur

Adventurer
Bob- I recon I need the comprehension lesson too eh? :sombrero:

Sounds like it'll be 110% awesome. Have a good one, take pics and post a report when you get back.

cruisertoy

Explorer
I have some experience with "cheap" inflatable boats. We do a 70+mile river fishing trip in western Alaska every year and used to rent White water rafts and such for the trip. 5 years ago we bought several Intex Mariner boats because they were about as expensive to buy as to rent "pro" boats for one trip. We're not running Class4 rapids, but the rivers we run are full of hidden trees, involve lots of dragging of boats over rock and log jams.... Five years running and we have yet to replace a single boat. I don't even think we've put a patch on one yet and I've personally run into sharp logs without any issue.

I can't vouch for the Sea Eagle brand, but google the materials and construction and compare them to the Intex models, especially the Mariner. I'd feel very comfortable using one for lounging around in the lagoon or even further out. Fishing with sharp hooks and such would not be a concern either. I'm all for buying the best out there(I drive a couple Land Cruisers:wings:), but sometimes we get caught up with buying above the intended purpose.The Intex Mariner or Seahawk are two great boats but they are a more a row boat than Kayak.

bob91yj

Resident **************
I pulled the trigger on the Sea Eagle 330, got it yesterday. I pumped it up today to see what I had.

It pumped up fairly quickly with the supplied bellows pump. Construction is about what I'd expect at this price point ($200, boat, oars, seats, pump). I've had an inflatable kayak in the past, brand escapes me right now, it had essentially a double hull with a solid piece covering the hull tubes. This boat does not have that.

I think it will do what I want it to do (lounge in lagoons), I wouldn't use it for a main boat in a canoe trip.

boat002.jpg

boat003.jpg

Last edited:

bob91yj

Resident **************
Well, the boat served us well on our Baja trip. We put it in the water several times on the Sea of Cortez. It paddled fairly easily, tracked well, and basically did exactly what I wanted it to do.

My wife is completely inexperienced at paddling, she took it out with some other ladies that were in hard shell ocean kayaks and held her own with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk