Sealing holes in trunk?

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
So i have a few holes in the floor from mounting air horn compressor and passing hoses and jazz.

im kinda sick of having to keep cleaning it out after offroading days with water crossings.

Any ideas to seal it? Maybe a good sealing tape or something?

4x4junkie

Explorer
Pieces of Gorilla Tape (extra thick duct tape) should seal holes like that.

Or just put bolts in the holes.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Use stainless truss-head or fillister head machine screws to clamp a pair of bonded washers on each side of the panel. The bonded washers have EPDM rubber gaskets bonded to them (duh!) but they are also convex so that they apply pressure around the entire perimeter of the washer against the panel. Put a fat dab of RTV silicone around the hole on both sides of the panel before you snug the washers down, and clean off the squeeze-out with a bit of mineral spirits.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Caulk will fail over time. 2-part epoxy and some pennies. Or better yet some of that POR-15 epoxy goop. Tape the hole from the bottom side, dribble some goop on the hole, press a penny in it, dribble some more over it to entomb the penny and on to the next. Or if you're worried about galvanic corrosion, just get a good mild steel 2-gang electrical junction box (about a dollar) and use all the hole blanks out of it as your plugs / caps.

OR just again tape it and use a caulking gun and some 100% silicone. Inject it a bit into the hole then relieve pressure against the metal so you get a good dab on the inside and you have a custom-formed plug. Makes sure the holes are clean and dry before using anything adhesive.

switch-and-socket-steel-boxes.jpg

Proper way is weld them back up, but that's a lot of hassle and fire concern. Some epoxy and metal discs make an hour's work out of it, no muss no fuss.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
Sorry, I didn't specify.

I have bolts installed in places that are leaking, for that I figure some RTV set up then snugged will work

But I have one hole in particular that my Air horn hose, and trailer wiring goes through. How do I seal that with things going through it

comptiger5000

Adventurer
I'd clean it really well and pack the hole with silicone, extending onto the cables a 1/4" or so on either side of the hole. That should plug it up nicely.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'd clean it really well and pack the hole with silicone, extending onto the cables a 1/4" or so on either side of the hole. That should plug it up nicely.

that. And maybe get a right-sized bulkhead grommet and re-plumb your stuff thru it, to tighten up the hole before you caulk the hell out of it.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Silicone by itself will fail over time. You need to encapsulate it to protect it. Silicone by itself is just a bandaid on a wound that won't heal.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
that. And maybe get a right-sized bulkhead grommet and re-plumb your stuff thru it, to tighten up the hole before you caulk the hell out of it.
I did. I actually took the factory grommet. put a small hole in it, depinned the trailer connector, put it through and repined it on the other side. Wasn't enough lol. Ill Silicon it for now. and figure something else out later I guess

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues