Self Build Camper Trailer

JMPC

Observer
Hi All,

I am new to this forum so I start by saying hello to everyone.

I am a keen overlander and in general can´t get enough of the great outdoors.

I have almost finished a self build all road camping trailer. I have built this so I have a ´mobile base camp` for when I return from hiking in the mountains or for when I wish to undertake a long overland journey like going down through Morocco for example.

The idea was to create something compact enough to tow through most óverlanding conditions´ (meaning NOT extreme off-road) yet that could also carry all the gear, food, water, equipment that I would need and offer comfortable living space for two.

It was always important to me that there was no set up time involved - I wanted somehting that was always ready, whenever I stopped.

It has a double bed, shower & loo, sitting area (when double bed folded against the wall) and kitchen. It also has a Safari Deck that can be accessed from the inside or outside. This provides a clean, secure rest area or vantage point whenever you stop.

I attach some photos...

I often see discussions about roof tents vs. cargo trailers etc,, so though this would be of interest.

I have made everything myself, (made a great many mistakes along the way) and would be happy to chat about my experiences and decisions with anyone who cares to comment.

all the best
JMPC

Attachments

• DSCN4687.JPG
    DSCN4687.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 654
  • DSCN4718.JPG
    DSCN4718.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 392
  • DSCN4724.JPG
    DSCN4724.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Looks great! Do you have any photos of the build? I'm curious about the framing material and what the panels/sides are made out of? Did you add any insulation?

Pretty cool and welcome!
-Chris

JMPC

Observer
Looks great! Do you have any photos of the build? I'm curious about the framing material and what the panels/sides are made out of? Did you add any insulation?

Pretty cool and welcome!
-Chris

Hi Chris

thanks....

....please see some photos of the build, more to come if you wish.

Exterior walls are aluminium. 1.5mm thick, meduim grade.

Insulation is 30mm thick polystyrene.

Interior of walls is some kind of wipe clean pvc, 2mm thick. (cheep as chips!).

I had considered plywood for the interior however settled for pvc as easier to clean.

Finally, on the exterior, the bottom 50cm of the walls have an additional layer of aluminium chequer plate, 1.5mm thick

The frame that all this attaches to is made from 3cm x 4cm mild steel. It`s a bit heavy really, I think I went a little overkill in my effort to ensure that it was going to be strong enough.

Attachments

• DSCN4666.JPG
    DSCN4666.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 302
  • DSCN4677.JPG
    DSCN4677.JPG
    567.6 KB · Views: 376
  • DSCN4669.JPG
    DSCN4669.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

JMPC

Observer
Hi Chris

thanks....

....please see some photos of the build, more to come if you wish.

Exterior walls are aluminium. 1.5mm think, meduim grade.

Insulation is 30mm thick polystyrene.

Interior of walls is some kind of wipe clean pvc, 2mm thick. (cheep as chips!).

I had considered plywood for the interior however settled for pvc as easier to clean.

Finally, on the exterior, the bottom 50cm of the walls have an additional layer of aluminium chequer plate, 1.5mm thick

The frame that all this attaches to is made from 3cm x 4cm mild steel. It`s a bit heavy really, I think I went a little overkill in my effort to ensure that it was going to be strong enough.

I forgot to give dimensions...

Lenght 3m (living area) total with tow bar, 4.30m
Width 1.6m (living area) total with outboard wheels 2.10m
Hight 2,40m, in the front where the kitchen and shower/loo are located.

Curb Weight - 900KG
Load capacity - up to 3,500kg, however, I will likely carry approx 500 kg of extra gear, making the total weight approx 1,400kg.

Last edited:

qayaq58

Observer
Hi
Nice trailer, just curious.
What advantages are you getting from a 4 wheel trailer and what kind of tires are you using?

JMPC

Observer
Hi
Nice trailer, just curious.
What advantages are you getting from a 4 wheel trailer and what kind of tires are you using?

Hi qayaq58

Thanks - it's a good question you ask, here are the advantages that I perceive -

-Greater load capacity so gives you more flexibility when deciding what you want to take and how you want the interior laid out. I want to be self sufficent when I travel, so this means taking a lot that weighs a lot, mainly water and fuel. up to 400kg (800lbs)

-Kinder on ground as load is spread over 4 wheels not just two, this also prevents bogging down in some situations.

- Much, much safer at maximum speeds on the motorways. (which unfortunately one invariably has to travel in order to get to the offroading you really want to do. London to Sahara is about 2,000 miles for example.) I can comfortably tow this at 70-80mph, ( the speed limit here). Twin axles track much better than a single axle, and on a trailer this short there is virtually no chance of fishtailing. Also, if you get a blow out at these speeds with 1,500kg (3000lbs) on a single axle it can be very dangerous, with a twin axle you hardly notice.

- Offroad a load-sharing twin axle set up ensures the trailer will comfortably absorb and dissipate all the energy from rough terrain, so less issues of gear failure.

The main disadvantage is that it proves a little harder to turn in very tight corners on paved roads, but very tight corners are rare on paved roads, normally they're encountered when offrading when the ground is not paved, so not really a problem. It's also more difficult to manuver by hand, when not hitched up, but here the trick is to just jack it up on the jocky wheel untill the front wheels clear the ground, then it pivots around just like a single axle!

Tyres are just some cheep offroad tryes for trailers, I don´t recall the brand

All the best
JMPC

Last edited:

JMPC

Observer
Thanks JPMC for enlightening me
Looking forward for your Sahara Trip

you're welcome, I see from your picture you have a fleetwood star craft, evolution?

I look at one of those at an exhibition here and liked it very much - I remember being very impressed with the interior.

all the best
JMPC

qayaq58

Observer
you're welcome, I see from your picture you have a fleetwood star craft, evolution?

I look at one of those at an exhibition here and liked it very much - I remember being very impressed with the interior.

all the best
JMPC

Thanks JPMC
My Trailer is a Fleetwood Cobalt very similar to the Evolution series and can handle some serious offroad capabilties with proper modification.
I plan to test it this coming spring to the 2010 Overland Expo in Arizona (www.ovexpo.com ) and summer 2010 overland trip to Gaspe Peninsula Quebec Canada and to prepare me (training/feedbacks) for my planned 2011 Trans Americas Expedition.
I admire your self sufficiency in building your own expedition trailer customized to your needs and wants. I hope some day I can build my own trailer too when I have a lot of time on my side.

JMPC

Observer
Thanks JPMC
My Trailer is a Fleetwood Cobalt very similar to the Evolution series and can handle some serious offroad capabilties with proper modification.
I plan to test it this coming spring to the 2010 Overland Expo in Arizona (www.ovexpo.com ) and summer 2010 overland trip to Gaspe Peninsula Quebec Canada and to prepare me (training/feedbacks) for my planned 2011 Trans Americas Expedition.
I admire your self sufficiency in building your own expedition trailer customized to your needs and wants. I hope some day I can build my own trailer too when I have a lot of time on my side.

Sounds like you have some good trips planned - expect to see some photos:)

JMPC

Observer
:)
...and also me. Plus I see the fender tops allow for more storage!

JMPC, nicely done trailer and congrats on being the politest person on ExPo.

Thanks for the kind words David, on both counts :)

all the best
JMPC

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl