Shifty - A 4Runner story

WastedAccounts

Master of Awesome
I don't name my vehicles but since this is a forum post about my 4Runner and it's future I figure I should call it something. Since it's a manual, Shifty it is. And that is the last time I will ever refer it by name.

On with it then.......

Specs:
1996 4Runner SR5 4x4
Black
Manual
Cloth Interior
3.4 Liter V6
155000 miles
After market Sunroof =(

And here it is still at the dealer lot, right after I paid for it and right before I drove it home.
4RunnerWeb.jpg

I don't like black cars and this one was in a little bit rougher shape then I would have liked but the next manual trans 4Runner for sale I found was in Virginia, some 800+ miles away. So I conceded and picked this one up. If it wasn't for the dealer fees it would have been a great deal.

Now, 2.5 weeks later I've replaced the inner and out TREs, front LCA bushings, Tundra 199mm brake upgrade, pulled the running boards and I got a set of 265/75r16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on it. I'm much happier with it now and it's going to get it's first work out this Sunday in Ocala National Forest, hopefully. I still need to replace the steering rack bushings but the rack leaks so I need to address that as well. And there is an issue when it rains with water getting under the dash and the car have a mind of it's own but I'll make a post about that later.

The 199mm Tundra brakes are awesome. The stock brakes looked like they were in good shape but the front end shuttered horribly even after fixing all the parts listed above. And honestly, it only cost $290 for all the parts from Advanced Auto so it was completely worth it.

And here is how it sits right now.
AfterTires_web.jpg

My future plans are undecided right now. Obviously I have some grandiose ideas but currently I think I'm going to keep it mellow. Being in Florida there isn't much need for a big lift and tons of armor, sand really isn't as hard on a the rockers. Skid plate would be nice but I'll have to see how the stock ones hold up. I really need to get a headliner back in it. The stock one was cut up and removed to make room for the AM Sunroof so I'm looking for a factory headliner 'with sunroof' backing to work with. Also, one of the previous owners must have been gigantic as the driver seat padding is completely washed out. The cover is fine there's just no padding left under it. Rust is at a minimum but it did spend some time in PA so I'll be addressing it in the near future.

I'll listen to any suggestions any one has. I plan to keep this for a while and build a nice expo rig out of it. I'm finally happy after going through 5 different cars in the last year trying to find what I was looking for.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Looks great! Have fun with it!

We have a 5-speed 3rd gen in the family. I love how it four-wheels in completely stock form. It's also a nice tow rig.

WastedAccounts

Master of Awesome
So I mentioned I have a water leak that causes the truck to act oddly in my first post. Here's the story on that..... so far.

So the headlights would come on when the truck was off after it rained. At least that's where started. When it dries out all is well. After the last big rain and spending the day driving around in it I turned the truck off and then it really started to act weird. The headlights will turn on, the truck acts like the key is still in the ignition and the doors are open, power door locks would cycle, etc. Very annoying. So I started searching the internet and found similar stories about the headlights after it rains and found a few threads but none of them had a resolution, they just faded out. No mention of the door locks and warning lights though.

I took it upon my self to hunt this one down. Well it's definitely a water leak, that's obvious. Besides the small leak in the window shield seal due to a crappy replacement job and a possible leak from the sunroof drain I discovered another major water leak. When they ran the power for the sunroof they ran it through the same grommet as the drivers side wiring harness. When they did this they folded the grommet a bit at the top. So when it rained water comes in through the seam between the hood and the fender then drip down onto this grommet. Since it was folded in at the top it would collect water and let it run down the sunroof power cable as well as the main wiring harness into the cab. At this point it looks like water is just getting into the harness plugs and jumping wires. It's dried out since the last rain and is normal again so I'm waiting for the chance to hose it down or another good rain to see how much of it returns.

This is the grommet, I've already straightened in back in the pick. The red arrow point the sunroof power cable which was in the grove of the folded in grommet.
WaterLeak1.jpg

I'm going to seal the grommet in at some point but I want to see if it's even still leaking first. The grommet looks like it will still leak in heavy rains though . For now, all is well but it's also been dry since the fix.

WastedAccounts

Master of Awesome
Got some more work done to get ready for the trail this weekend. The goal today was to get the CB radio in. It nice to be able to talk to the rest of the group when you're out there.

I installed this fused power block today to hook up any devices I want. The CB is the only thing so far. Next up is another 12v power source when I figure out where to put it. This is nice cause each of the 6 connection is fused so nothing is live until you put fuse in.
DSC02176.jpg

Here's the antenna mounted on the front bumper. Sorry for the night time pics but I ran out of daylight.
DSC02181.jpg

The radio isn't exactly mounted yet since it got dark on me so no pics. It's just sitting on the passenger floor which isn't very exciting.

WastedAccounts

Master of Awesome
Well the girl and the dog will absolutely be there. The kids are possibly staying with their grandparents for the day though. They need to be dragged out into nature though, I don't think they've ever more then look at a forest while driving by.

WastedAccounts

Master of Awesome
hahahaha, well at least that one!

It was awesome on the trails. Coil springs, 32" tires, longer wheel base vs the YJ with Leafs, 29" tires and that 93" or whatever wheel base. Huge difference. I had no trouble with that spot that took 3 tries in the YJ. But they're different animals so there's really no comparison. The best thing though was I have AC and power windows now. That dusty trail doesn't leave me as dirty anymore.

03DubyaJay

You call, I haul.
amen. they can say all they want, but they were the one's eating dirt while we cruised in climate-controlled goodness

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk

Members online