Simple question about my Victron 75/15 charge controller

Swiftone

Putting together the power system in my 5x8 cargo/camping trailer and wondering if it is necessary to disconnect the controller from my roof panels when not charging my LiFeP04/or storing the trailer? I know I can turn off the charger via Bluetooth but I still get a blinking blue light.

I am planning on APP between the Victron and battery when not in use along with a master battery off - basically isolating the battery from the system when not in use.

And since pictures are cool, this is where I stopped yesterday. The battery (Renogy 100AH) will go on the right and I have room for a Morningstar Suresine mounted flat on the left. Invertor will have a dedicated 100amp fused power run coming off the battery switch. Second picture shows how it sits in the nose of the trailer. Please excuse the mess - it is a work in process.

https%3A//i.imgur.com/qB295icl.jpg[/img]']https%3A//i.imgur.com/qB295icl.jpg[/img]']

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
The biggest caution is that you must disconnect the panels whenever you're going to separate the charger from the batteries, else you risk damaging the charger. I'd be very careful about a setup that would let you separate the batteries in a way that can leave the panels connected by mistake.

The driving question is why disconnect the charger from the batteries? The charger isn't going to load the battery in any way, even if there's no solar input. A better option might be to wire things such that the charger stays permanently connected to the battery but the load (your fuse panel, etc.) can be disconnected. There's value in having a single switch to make sure there's no draw on the battery, but separating the battery from charger isn't a thing that should need to happen very often...

john61ct

Adventurer
Turning the charger off is fine rather than disconnecting panels.

But always do one of those before isolating the bank.

Some use a CB not switched all that often.

Swiftone

Ok - my thought was to get the SOC to 30/40AH and disconnect for storage. If just turning off the controller will suffice that makes my life easier and will give me a lot cleaner looking install.

I have already have wired in a master battery cut off switch between the positive terminal and the sub panel. (load)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333

Members online