Sleeping in the back of a JK

Maine07jk

Adventurer
I have to sleep in the back of my 4dr JK for two nights coming up on a jeep weekend. What have people done to flatten out the crack/hole when you fold the seats down. I slept in it for one night last year and nearly broke my back. Apparently the towel stuffed in the crack didn't work all that well.

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: We've slept in the back of my '08 JKU several times, when we heard/smelled/were told of bears and also many times after eating and playing games in my "hatch" tent-

I've got several air mattress's/foam pads, so you'll never know the rear seat gap is present-

Sawmillllakejune12020-1.jpg

Even a queen size air mattress fits in there-and I'm 6'4", no problemo

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

JFarris

Wanderer
Jimbo- I'm assuming you sleep withe rear door open? Or do you have a trick lol.I'm 5'9" and I have to sleep diagonally to fit with the rear door closed, or else I can't fully stretch my legs out.

406to417

Explorer
Did this very thing this weekend. I was very comfortable but the girlfriend hated it. At first she was afraid we were going to run out of oxygen even though I explained the Jeep is not air tight. Then she wanted the window up, then down then up again. We ended up driving home at midnight....

Septu

Explorer
Fill it with towels (so it's lightly raised - it'll sink down and flatten out). I used 2 closed cell mattresses and one big 4" think foam one. It was acceptable - but wasn't super comfy. But was more than acceptable. Next time I'll use an air mattress with one of the closed cell foamies. I've done that before and was quite comfy.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Did this very thing this weekend. I was very comfortable but the girlfriend hated it. At first she was afraid we were going to run out of oxygen even though I explained the Jeep is not air tight. Then she wanted the window up, then down then up again. We ended up driving home at midnight....

Sounds like you need to break her in on camping.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero:Heh Heh, nope thats too much load on the tailgate hinges, so I just slide the passenger front seat all the way forward and that gives me plenty room, my wife's 5'6" so she's OK on the drivers side !

It ain't the California King I'm used to sleepin in, but ya gotta roughit :)snorkel:)-

Remember I said "BEARS", I ain't trying to sleep with the TG open-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

JaneDerp

I have to sleep in the back of my 4dr JK for two nights coming up on a jeep weekend. car parts wholesale have people done to flatten out the crack/hole when you fold the seats down. I slept in it for one night last year and nearly broke my back. Apparently the towel stuffed in the crack didn't work all that well.

Haha, I did the same thing thinking it wouldn't be so bad. I would actually put pillows down and sleep on them, it was better then nothing.

Uticon

Adventurer
I built a small bridge for the gap left from the rear seats being laid down.
Piece of plywood cut to fit covered in some left over carpet i had from another project.
I could sleep in there now without any matress if i wanted.

D

Deleted member 48574

I'm 6'1 and used to sleep in the back of my 2dr JK. A 4 door ought to be luxurious by comparison!

They way I did it was in the back behind the seats, with my legs bent and up under the passenger side window, and with a therms rest behind my back, my upper body was nestled against the drivers side window. Kind of the same position as a hammock, and with enough padding it was quite doable. Well not THAT doable as I quickly ended up with an RTT...but it worked!

Cheers
Craig

Maine07jk

Adventurer
Thank all! I will see what I have lying around to get the job done! I like the idea of the plywood to fill the gap.

Rynomar

Observer
I built up the rear of my JKU with some 2x4's and mdf, then ran a piece over the back seat as well. It has given me a nice flat surface for storage, room for the dog to roam around, and a pretty comfortable platform for sleeping. I am 6'0" and fit just fine with the front seats moved forward and something stuffed in the gap between the front seat and the back seat. It would be cozy with two people, but not a problem as long as you are friendly :)Storage 004.jpgDiagram 2 - Deck.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3